Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
New Camper

Led lights in dining area cause small fire

We have a 2013 cruiser cf305 sk, and have had a problem with our led lights in the dining area, firstly burnt the fuze then burnt the fixture, wondering how safe these lights are. Has anyone else had a problem?
Red dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you investigated further to see if it might be the wires? If they have a bare or loose connection behind the fixture it could cause problems like you are having.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
New Camper

No problem with the wiring, just the led module and circuit board.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Immediately call Crossroads to report this. Ask how they can assure you that it is only a defective fixture or a wiring defect. Please post any responses you get since I'm sure that most of the newer Crossroads rv's use that light fixture.
Good luck and hope you get answers.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I don't have them in my '11 Cruiser, but wondering if they are LEDs or something else like halogens. LEDs use DC voltage and draw almost no power, 1/5 to 1/10 the power of incandescent bulbs and even less compared to halogens. So, heat is almost non existant, cool to the touch. Maybe a direct short in the wiring.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Ditto

I have LEDs - love them due to the low/no heat output. If I was a "bettin' man" I would put money on a short....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
I don't have them in my '11 Cruiser, but wondering if they are LEDs or something else like halogens. LEDs use DC voltage and draw almost no power, 1/5 to 1/10 the power of incandescent bulbs and even less compared to halogens. So, heat is almost non existant, cool to the touch. Maybe a direct short in the wiring.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
New Camper

The short was in the 24 LED module curcuit board, it appeared that a capacitor type gizmo on the face side of the curcuit board burned, containing the flame between the LED array and the diffuser glass cover scorching both. No burning took place outside the fixture or on the roof of the pullout. The wiring was inspected including the connectors and no heat was evident, the fault totally was in the LED fixture and module supplied to Cruiser.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red dog View Post
The short was in the 24 LED module curcuit board, it appeared that a capacitor type gizmo on the face side of the curcuit board burned, containing the flame between the LED array and the diffuser glass cover scorching both. No burning took place outside the fixture or on the roof of the pullout. The wiring was inspected including the connectors and no heat was evident, the fault totally was in the LED fixture and module supplied to Cruiser.
In my old, old days of manufacturing LEDs and other components, our circuit board traces and internal wiring was small enough that if any semiconductor element failed, the excess current would simply melt the wire or trace, just like a fuse, and result in an open circuit on the board. With gold wires and copper traces, excess metal just added to the cost anyway.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
New Camper

In an ideal world things are supposed to work like they were designed, the panel box indicated a burned fuse and the whole curcuit was dead, so the fuse was replaced,the other lightes flickered that one did not, and gave the door of burned electrical, so pulled the fuse and disassembled the fixture, disconned the LED/curcuit board, checked wires and connectors, put in fuse to check curcuit and every thing works fine. Inspecting the LED it had a dead short, fire was contained.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

there we go again , quality and safety from china...who inspects these things?

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Site Team

I guess I would ask who made the LED pad before assuming it came from China. I know at one time Command Electronics was supplying the RV mfg. with the most of the lights they were installing.
Plus like anything else, there can, and will be a problem along the way. This the first I have heard of anything like this.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Site Team

I would also check that new fuse you put in to make sure it is correct (amperage, slo-blo vs. fast-acting, etc.).

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

We posted a similar problem a year or so ago.
We ordered via E-bay 12vdc LED arrays. They were just Chinese manufactured LED arrays with micro resistors. It has no fancy current limiting circuit only the resistors and therefore much less expensive than American made units with a sophisticated circuit. After a 5 minute test the array was so hot that it charred the double sided tape that was supposed to fasten it to a surface. We now install a low ohm value but high wattage power resistor in series with these arrays. With the power resistor installed the arrays do not over heat nor does the power resistor but the LED’s are a little dimmer.

I have had other Chinese LED arrays burn out within 30 seconds under a bench test. The circuit board got hot enough to unsolder the components. So, now I bench test all such overseas purchases.

Be careful.