Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Just got back from a 3-month trip to the Northeast and discovered the joint where the wall and floor meet in the front of the main slide is separating. You can see a 12" strip of daylight between the two surfaces. This along with the entire ceiling sagging is almost too much. The dealer can't get it into his lot for 2-3 weeks and no telling how long repairs will take; so there goes the rest of summer-fall camping. Very disappointed........
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear of your problem. Any guess as to what may have caused this? Please keep posting about what the dealer finds. Could help others.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Looks to me like the wall-floor connection is a butt joint with 5 or 6 screws thru the end grain of the floor with no other support. Also looks like some of the screws went in at an angle and missed the wood altogether. More later when I hear from the dealer and CR.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Marvin, sorry to hear about this issue. Please keep us informed since several people on here own that same floor plan.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I hope they give you a new slide.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about this problem. Since we have the same unit I will be very interested to know how this occurred and how it was fixed.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

What a shame...do you think CR would approve another repair shop that would get you back on the road again, sooner?...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Talked with Bill at Crossroads yesterday and he authorized taking the trailer to another shop since our dealer can't get to it for another 2-3 weeks! Dropped it off this morning and the service manager said the floor separation and the ceiling sagginglook likemajor problems. He is to discuss options with CR on Monday. Will have to wait until next week before we know if and how it can be repaired, where and how long it may take.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

On Friday we got approval for an independent dealer to repair our unit. He will remove the Kitchen and Main slides, repair/rebuild the floor, drop the ceiling panels and re-glue them, replace the refrigerator fan (#3), replace the converter, remove and reseal the bedroom a/c unit. Probably take 3-4 weeks then we will see what else breaks before deciding on keeping it or trading by the end of November.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Good luck Marvin. We can't keep ours out of the shop long enough to get it cleaned up and up for sale. Now we are going to beheaded into the Winter months so we will have to see what happens next Spring.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We had the same problem with a Outback sidney single slide 5er. Don't know what happened with yours but after talking with repair shop we found that because we had walked on the slide floor with it partially out it had caused it to seperate.The shop was able to repair it and when we traded, it was holding up and working good. We didn't walk on it partially extended anymore. Hope yours is fixed and rolling soon.

2012 King Ranch,F350,CC,SRW,

LWB,FX4,6.7 Diesel

2012 CR Cruiser 330SS

God Bless

https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...ictures005.jpg
Traveling Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Repairs were finally completed on September 26 after several delays due to mis-communications and parts shortages. Everything was covered by the 2-yr warranty, however this unit has spent over 8 months in the shop since we bought it in Dec 2010 and we had no confidence in its future reliability, so we decided to trade it.Not finding a CR unit we liked, plus the change in warranty policy, we looked at other brands and selected a 2013 Forest River Sandpiper 356RL. Time will tell if that was a good decision, but after almost two weeks and 1,500 miles nothing is broken.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Sirsea,
Sorry to see you leave us, you've been a loyal user on this forum and I appreciated your comments. I hope you have luck and would keep us posted. Because of all the issues with items such as yours I have decided to travel incessantly next spring, just to find out if things go wrong so I can have them repaired during the 2nd year of my warranty. I don't want to do this but it seems like my only avenue of hope. I have a great dealer but I won't hesitate to take my unit back to Shipshewana if necessary. I refuse to live my unit sitting anywhere for weeks on end. I have not had any major problems yet but I do know that in time there will be some problems with the slides. It is just evident that they are underpowered and not designed correctly. If I am to have problems I want them fixed by the company on their dime. It is what I paid for.

Good luck in your future travels, stay safe and stay in touch,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea

Looks to me like the wall-floor connection is a butt joint with 5 or 6 screws thru the end grain of the floor with no other support. Also looks like some of the screws went in at an angle and missed the wood altogether. More later when I hear from the dealer and CR.
More Quality Control Issues, again. Was at factory for rally and tour in '11 and asked about quality control and was told that IF they find something, at the end of the line, the worker responsible is asked to move to the end to fix it, guide said, then all the other workers see him moving alongline for all to seeand that wasenough to keep them from screwing up again. That is their Quality Control ......
Travel Well / Travel Safe

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Marvin, congrats on the new unit. Can't blame you for getting rid of the Cruiser. Please send me your email address so we can stay in touch as I would like to have a bunch of us from the Texas Rally get together again sometime even though some of us will be SOB's.....
Old 10-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Congrats, great choice on the Sierra. I love their quad bunk and slide model with outside kitchen. Since its a Forest River, send the second year warranty card back so your coach is covered for two full years.

Also, join the factory sponsored FR owners forum. There is product specific pages and factory workers who chime in to offer advice.

Enjoy your new rig, I can understand your choice given the service you've experienced and the new warranty on Crossroads product.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:

Repairs were finally completed on September 26 after several delays due to mis-communications and parts shortages. Everything was covered by the 2-yr warranty, however this unit has spent over 8 months in the shop since we bought it in Dec 2010 and we had no confidence in its future reliability, so we decided to trade it.Not finding a CR unit we liked, plus the change in warranty policy, we looked at other brands and selected a 2013 Forest River Sandpiper 356RL. Time will tell if that was a good decision, but after almost two weeks and 1,500 miles nothing is broken.

8 months in the shop - - we don't have all of the details but CrossRoads should have invited you to the factory and ask which new unit you wanted to drive off with.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

M&M,
Sorry to hear that your Cruiser turned out the way it did. You have to be very disappointed.
We were in it in Texas a year ago, you were very excited and it was very nice.
I don't blame you for being fed up.
Hope your new 5er turns out satisfactory and trouble free.
Dennis & Sharon

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:

Repairs were finally completed on September 26 after several delays due to mis-communications and parts shortages.Â* Everything was covered by the 2-yr warranty, however this unit has spent over 8 months in the shop since we bought it in Dec 2010Â* and we had no confidence in its future reliability, so we decided to trade it.Â*Â*Not finding a CR unit we liked, plus the change in warranty policy, we looked at other brands and selected a 2013 Forest River Sandpiper 356RL. Time will tell if that was a good decision, but after almost two weeks and 1,500 miles nothing is broken.

Do you know what they had to do to fix it?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator447
I have not had any major problems yet but I do know that in time there will be some problems with the slides. It is just evident that they are underpowered and not designed correctly.
Is it safe to assume these slide issues are with both the 5er and TT's?
Oldcow
Oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote