Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #41
Family Vacation Member

So talked to Crossroads regarding my rear tire wear. Not much they are willing to do other than put trailer on a alignment machine and determine if they are out of alignment if they are then contact Lippert. Basically that means give a guy the run around for 4-6weeks and then you’re on your own.
Taking mine in to be aligned to a spring and axle shop, then to tire shop for new rubber.
I am thinking of putting on a heavier duty 8ply West Coast STZC. Anyone have any luck with this tire? Is there a brand you would recommend?

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #42
Weekend Camper

As I have followed these axle threads for the last couple years I am always surprised no one ever mentions the weight of the rear of the TV. Nearly all of us use WD hitches and for me it makes sense that there is a percentage of the weight of the rear of the TV transferred to the trailer. When I hear a dealer or engineer being quoted as saying that 600-800 lbs of tongue weight comes out of the equation I just want to throw the BS flag. That is true until you introduce a WD hitch. Then when you crank up the tongue/TV rear-end assembly, set your bars and let the weight down you've now split the weight of that assembly(tongue and TV) in half and spread it between the TV and the trailer axles. You throw in the dynamic geometry of any road surface and pot holes and the minimalist GVWR axle ratings being given to our trailers truly seems asinine.

I am certainly no engineer but that's probably why it makes practical sense to me.
2006 Ford F-250 6.0L

logicsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #43
Family Vacation Member

You need to deduct the weight that is on your truck, 18 to 20 percent for 5'rs--12,500 -2,250 (18%) is 10,250 LBS, so two axels at 5,200 each is 10,400. Looks good to me, that's at the min of 18% if you use 20% you are safe by a couple more hundred pounds. The WD bars of a TT just move some of the weight (approx. 10% total) to the front end of the TV, still removing 10% of the weight from the TT axels. I believe to many people have there trailer and/or TV overweight or have not weighed them and don't really know their weight numbers and are guessing they are not overweight. Sorry, my opinion only.

Flyone
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #44
Ken
Weekend Camper

Below are the specs on my particular trailer and I have 4,400 lbs axles. The specs pretty much spells out how much of the dry weight is sitting at the axles. I know in our trailer we do not put a lot of the weight in the rear bedside grocery's and bedding and such. Most of our heavier items we store in the front storage compartments and in the truck. I would defiantly think 4,400 lbs axles should be fine.

RTZ31SB
Specifications

Dry Weight: 7875 GVWR: 9671 Carrying Capacity: 1796 Hitch Weight: 1071 Axle Weight: 6804

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
Weekend Camper

CR FINALLY fixed my trailer. They replaced the 3500 lb. axles with 4400 lb. axles. It took almost a year. A visit with pictures to an RV show informing prospective customers of the problem, the threat of going to every RV show in the area to do the same and the help of a wonderful dealership that also refused to give up (FRETZ RV). They admitted no wrongdoing. But I don't care. It actually rides noticeably better on the road. I'm back in love with my trailer just wish CR didn't stall so long before shipping ALL of the parts.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #46
Family Vacation Member

Paparkcamper do you have a contact for who you dealt with @ CR? I was dealing with a Michael Antal and he indicated the only way was for me to take the trailer into a CR dealership to have measurements. My dealer told me they could have me in for those measurements for in excess of 8 weeks. Being that my axels were so out of align and my tires had excessive wear waiting 8 weeks for a RV technician to take measurements was out of the question without parking my RV all summer.
I took the trailer to a proper certified spring and axel shop to have measurments and an alignment done, (which the dealer would have done anyways as they do no service axles in house). The foreman at the axle shop gave me a print out of measurments before and after and indicated to me these axels are not rated for this trailer and minimum #4400 should be installed.
CR would not honour the measurments or alignment nor cover cost for new tires or axles. They basically told me these are the correct axles end of story.
I do not haul water in my trailer, I also pack light. This is a caution to anyone looking at a Sunset Trail to ensure the axles are sized correctly or you will be on your own like me.
I have attached my report from the axles shop to show the adjustments needed.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (120.0 KB, 36 views)

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #47
Weekend Camper

As I posted, my dealer (Fretz RV) handled all communication with CR after they gave me the same BS. I know for a fact that after my "visit" to the RV show CR took notice and started responding to my dealers emails.
I let them I was planning on spending 4 days at the largest show on the east coast in Hershey,Pa. and I wouldn't have any problem wearing a sandwich board with pictures, copies of emails and receipts. I guess the squeaky wheel did get the grease. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #48
Weekend Camper

I have had the same problem. Our last trip out of our first season with it, the left rear tire completely seized up. It got so hot that it melted the hud right to the spindle. Needed a whole new rim tire etc. Now that tire is wearing on the inside. Just another problem with this trailer.
2013 Dodge Ram Sport R/T 5.7 Hemi(Pics to follow)

https://i44.tinypic.com/mttqmh.jpg
thefabbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #49
Weekend Camper

First go to a real mechanic. Have him look at your axles. Go to a public scale and try to get each axles weight. Print out the problems and solutions people on this forum have had. Look under any and every thread that mentions axles. Go back to your dealer show them everything. Hopefully your dealer will care about its customers as much as mine did. If they do they will start with emails and phone calls to CR. good luck