Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Well we have been out withour Kingstonfour weekends this year. I really don't think that this unit was built for winter camping. The furnace has run for 10 minutes and shut off for about 10 minutes, and it is not very warm inside (probally another defect, with my luck). We have used atleast 1 30 pound tank of propane each weekend. Hope it warms up soon. Good thing for the electric blanket.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

George, I don't know what the Kingston comes from the factory with, but if it the old style bi-metal thermostat, do yourself a favor and replace it with a digital. Search the old forum for Hunter thermo upgrade...very easy to do and I think it may help your problem. Not saying it will be a cure-all, but. We camped last night and temp got down to mid 30's with 10-20 mph winds (dat's cold down here, man!) and I really didn't notice our unit cycling that often, maybe 30min off/ 5min on.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Last night where we were it wasin the low 20's. I think I was just used to my 27' trailer we had. It had the artic insulation package and the furnace hardly ever ran. The last 4 weekends out this year I used more propane than I did 2 years ago with the TT all winter.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Crossroads does not make a 4season unit...never did....never sold them as 4 season units, I would think to get a full4 season unit you would be buying alot more than crossroads offers, I think you will finf most crossroads parked in the winter..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Agreed - they don't advertise the units as 4 season camper's and they aren't priced as such, either.

I have the extra foil insulation package which puts the R-value's above most in it's class/price range but no where near a Carriage or Montana.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We camp all year around, but our weather is a little bit warmer than your Pa weather. Some of the things you can do to help, is I run Electric heaters in the unit. When I know it is going to be real cold I will take water and put bubble wrap This will insulate you window really well. Hunter 11 has insulated the the basement of his PP I also went around and sprayed foam in all holes I could find. I am replacing the floor registers with new ones I can shut off from Lowes This enables us to bring the heat into the bath room and bed room better. I think Hunter 11 may chime in here he has found some openings on the furnace.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Well I'm not going to do any insulating or changes to my unit until it goes back to CR for repairs. Running electric heaters won't happen until the electric gets fixed in my 5er. Bad enough the neutral wire burnt on kitchen GFI with just a coffee pot on.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We had ours in Tahoe in October and it was about 36 during the day and 22 at night. The heater worked good, we found it cold in the back by the windows, but solved that with a portable electricheater.

One thing I have found is that the wall that the thermo is installed on tends to be warmer than the rest of the unit.

I was surprised at how little gas I have used my last trip emptied my first tank, in all about 12 nights of furnace camping.

Based on that I think you might add the furnace to your list of problems.
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote