Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fresh water tank drain

I've had this 2005 Cruiser 5th wheel a year now, and still learning about the systems. Today it is the fresh water drain. At the rear of the trailer there sticks down a small, perhaps 1/2" diameter white plastic tube. I was thinking. hoping, that this was the drain for the fresh water tank. I put in five gallons through the tank fill nozzle, but all that comes out the little tube is a small trickle. AND, it looks like there is some sand in the water (what i added was fresh from the faucet).

Is this the fresh water tank drain? And if so, why doesn't the water come out in a healthy flow?

Bob
Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Team

That is the fresh water drain.
The reason you're not getting much water coming out is---the drain tube doesn't come out the bottom of the tank. It comes out the side of the tank. A few ins. up from the bottom.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Fresh water drain

A few inches UP? If I was wanting something to drain, it seems like you'd want the hole at the lowest point. But I guess since there would be only a few inches of water in the tank if it froze, there would be no danger of developing a crack. Thanks for the reply.

And for you future engineers designing water tanks, put the hole in the bottom.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Didn't Hunter or Lloyd make a modification?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrbrt View Post
.... there would be no danger of developing a crack.
And for you future engineers designing water tanks, put the hole in the bottom.
Agree drain should be on the bottom...

and as far as freezing not being a concern......
well, suspect the top will freeze first which will 'lock in' the rest as it freezes and expands... and whatever is weakest will give... up, down, out, valves, drains... ???
Old 04-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I tilt my tt nose up to run more water out the low point drains. dh tried to burn the water pump out by running it with the drain open to pull water from the tank to drain

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

If I recall the modification done by Gregg(?) Payne was for the pick up tube not the drain. It too is mounted on the side so can't pull out the last several gallons from the fresh tank.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoetravel View Post
If I recall the modification done by Gregg(?) Payne was for the pick up tube not the drain. It too is mounted on the side so can't pull out the last several gallons from the fresh tank.
Correct, it was the pickup tube, not the drain. But it could be used to pump water that the drain could not empty. I did the mod initially, but Greg was always much, much better at documenting mods.

I believe the reason the drain/pickup tube is not in the bottom of the tank has to do with overall height issues. Putting them on the bottom would require a smaller capacity tank to fit in the space between the plywood floor and the underbelly fabric. And in most cases, the fresh water tank is located at the very rear of the trailer, too ez to drag the tail and rip the connections right out of the bottom of the tank. Just my best guess.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Site Team

I did this mod on the PU tube also.
I think part of the reasoning on the PU tube being up on the sidewall, is it's not quite as app to suck the crap up off the bottom of the tank.

I also think the drain plug is on the side wall for added insurance it won't get blown out when bouncing down the road with a full load of water bouncing on it. If I remember right, they cut a hole in the tank, then glue in a plug which contains the drain, and another one for the PU tube.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
My dealer suggested leaving the cap in the hot water heater area. He says by doing that as you travel any water left does get splashed out, little by little. I worried about ants getting in and he said he didn't think that should be a problem. I hope.

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I usually leave the cap off the fresh water tank drain when we leave. Unless you live on the prairies or the great plains, there's sure to be a few hills along the way. When ascending a hill, and if it's safe to do so, stop the rig for 5 minutes, this should drain most of the water from the tank.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Fresh water tank drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrbrt View Post
I've had this 2005 Cruiser 5th wheel a year now, and still learning about the systems. Today it is the fresh water drain. At the rear of the trailer there sticks down a small, perhaps 1/2" diameter white plastic tube. I was thinking. hoping, that this was the drain for the fresh water tank. I put in five gallons through the tank fill nozzle, but all that comes out the little tube is a small trickle. AND, it looks like there is some sand in the water (what i added was fresh from the faucet).

Is this the fresh water tank drain? And if so, why doesn't the water come out in a healthy flow?

Bob
Yes it is the fresh water tank drain. the problem is threefolded. First the drain hole is on the side, Second many frames are twisted, thjis happened with my 2004 Laredo and my 2006 Cruiser ; when the front is level, the back slopes on the right and for sure the drain is on the left so there is water left in the tank and if you have 40 gallons, you can retrieve only 36 and continually carry 32 pounds of unusable water . Third, the water thank is level with the trailer meaning that there is always water on thwe bottom. The solution is to remove the black plastic bottom, put some blocks Under the other end of the tank to give it a slope to the left, an reinforce the bottom with added bars and many decreasing size blocks on each sides of the tank cause the weight of the water is important ; from 350 to 450 pounds and dont forget the bumps on the road. I did that on my three successive
RVs........Hours of pure pleasure and of enjoyment !!!!!!!!
denism29 is offline   Reply With Quote