Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
New Camper

Ok Folks. Just traded the 2009 KZ Durango fifth wheel on a 2013 Sunset Ridge Reserve 31BH. Need more room for the kids. The quality of the reserve looks as good as the KZ but I would like some input. I know it is a bumber pull but I set permanent at a Yogi Bear Campground so it really does not make a difference The ceiling height is dome shaped so it has quite a bit of head room. Did I go up or down with this transaction? I like the rubber roof side overlap much better on the reserve but am not sure if I should be standing on it to clean it. Love the colors, interior, counter tops and cabinetry. Outdoor kitchen is a huge plus. Are there any problems I should be looking into before I start the summer season? Thanks and I appreciate any input.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Welcome to the group. My wife and I just bought the same trailer and I think you made a good choice. We love it. It has been out about 3 time now and the amount of room we have is amazing. As for the roof, you will have no trouble standing on it. I was on it to put on the vent covers and there was no movement. I don't think you will be jumping on it so there should be no issues. Hope you have fun enjoy the new ride.
2013 Dodge Ram Sport R/T 5.7 Hemi(Pics to follow)

https://i44.tinypic.com/mttqmh.jpg
thefabbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome and congrats on the new TT. I think you will be pleased with it. Crossroads products tend to be good and if you have any issues crossroads is pretty good at standing behind it. Enjoy your new TT!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the forum. Lots of ngood info here and Crossroads is a great product.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Congrats and best wishes with the new rig.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Just bought the same trailer and have been out in it 2 weekends and six nights total. We really liked it when we ordered it and then started thinking about where we were going to put everything. The wife was pretty concerned about storage (I think we had too much crap in the other trailer). Anyway, as I am outside setting things up and she is inside putting things away where she can find them(and I can't), I keep hearing her say, "I like that". I just kept smiling and going on about my business of getting things ready outside. Each time I heard her say that, I said nothing, just know we had made the right move. Our 16 yr old daughter wants to go a little more then she did before. More privacy for her in the bunk area then the bunkhouse on the other one. Enjoy!

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Steve,
The DW and I have been out twice so far for 6 nights also...and we still have empty cabinets too which pleases me...as I know in time they will all be filled...I hope not...I told her I don't want to carry more than we need...even to the point of telling her when we go on our week long trip week after next that we will buy groceries when we get there. I have scouted the area and there are Wally World's and a couple big chains withing a couple miles. Better to not weigh down the cabinets in my estimation. So far she agrees with me; let's hope it stays that way

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Jim,

We still have room in our drawers and cabinets also. Pretty nice. The other one always seemed like you had to move something to get to something else. Can't wait to get off work today and head back to the campground tonight.

How do you like the Tekonsa P2 and would you get that one again? Thinking about trading up, using a Reese Brakeman (I think).

Steve

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Steve,
I love the P2...it is what my dealer recommended...I trust them a lot. I also did what Lippert recommended...trying to be proactive...I found an old county road...drove down at 40mph...used the manual on the brake controller to bring the vehicle down to 25, then sped back up and did it over again...about 20 times I think they recommend. Anyway, after that I took it back for my 200 mile brake inspection and it took very little adjustment...they gave me a thumb's up on my break-in on the brakes. Now the real proof comes next week...we are camping next Friday to Sunday with our 2 daughter's and grandchildren here in WI...then on Mother's Day we leave for Indianapolis, IN on business for my wife...I'm anxious to find out how my gas mileage works out on a longer trip...I mean it is what it is but we still like to know these things...for peace of mind more than anything. Hope you enjoy your unit...but yes, I was would recommend a P2 to anyone...and the Equal-I-Zer also...glad I purchased them. Next big purchase is 2 fanatastic fans...yesterday is the first it got warm here since I brought her home, and it got a little warm inside...I keep the vents open some and windows "cracked" but it was warm...cooled down quickly with the A/C, but I'd like to see how it will do with windows open and F/F's in place...and to be able to open the vents when it rains will be important also.

I'll be real honest, when I first got my unit I was thinking nothing but full hookups and comfort, but since our first trip and knowing now that we can go 3 days on a full tank of water and perhaps even more...I am now looking at all the state campgrounds and even the BLM sites...I wrote to them yesterday to find out if my Golden Pass is good for 50% off at their sites, if so, who can beat $12 a night...so I've taken on a different view, and probably will more and more as we become more accustomed to our new life.

Good luck and safe travels

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

You will love the fantastic fans. Got to the campground last night. Backed in, hooked up electric, turned on both fantastic fans, turned on air, and it cooled down really quick in there. Left the fans open and on one of the higher settings for about 45 minutes while I did the rest of the setup. It was really comfortable in there when I got done and ready for a cool adult beverage and a seat. It did not take long to go from 90 degrees to 75. Those fans have a great draw. I did not have them before, but never will go without them again.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

You guys should look at installing MaxxAir II covers, then you can leave the vents open all year long and going down the road. They aren't inexpensive, but well worth the ability to leave all the vents open, not to mention they protect the real vent covers protected from the degrading UV.

Happy Camping

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I guess I used the term "FF" the way people use the word "xerox" to mean photocopy. I actually looked at the MaxxAir II I think it is the 4500's with the rain sensor last weekend. Yes, they are expensive but I think it will be the next purchase. The DW and I have discussed it and we think being able to leave the vents open in the rain, being able to cool the unit down quickly, and perhaps not having to use the A/C because you can draw in cooler air will all be a good benefit.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

If you already have a fan-stat-ic fan installed you can install the MaxxAir II over them, even with the auto raise feature. I did a google search back when I found mine and found where someone compared the vent / screening area of the MaxAir I , II and combo unit together and found the venting area larger on the II than the other two units. I paid $29ea for the MaxxAir II about 2 years ago from Camping World they had a special at the time on the covers and if you spent $100 or more you got free shipping. If you got time spot check Camping World, as I'm sure they will have the deal age.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote