Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Can anyone tell me how the holding tank flush works. I have two hose connections at my water station. One is for city hook up and the other says "flush". I'm assuming this is to flush my gray and black tanks or maybe just the black I'm not sure. If so, How do I use it. From what I have seen at dump stations the water supply's never have a threaded hose fitting that would work with a trailer. Makes sense because they don't want people to fill their potable water tanks. I have always seen a metal hook like water nozzle.

Thanks in advance

Mike
mdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

The flush is for the black tank only on our 30SKP. Generally near the dump station there is a fresh water fill also. May take some extra hose to get to it and the dump at the same time. I have had to use up to 50 ft. once.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #3

The hose you are talking about at the dump station with a metal hook is used for washing out the hoses after you dump, not for filling the water tank. I don't think you would want to drink that. A little tip to fill your fresh water tank is to take an old water hose and cut it about 12-14 inches from the female end. You can keep that in your unit and use it to screw onto a water hose and put the other end into your fresh water tank opening after you take the cap off. Then you can fill without having to stand there and hold it.

Also Bipe is right. Flush is for the black tank only. Just hook a hose to it and turn on the water to flush out the black tank. I like to close the black tank and let it fill for a couple minuites and then flush again while the flush is working, then repeat until water is coming out clean. If you don't have a clear hose adapter to attach to the black dump I suggest you to get one their only about $7.00. Also I put quick connects on my city and flush to keep from having to screw on the hose everytime. You can get them at Lowes Hardware store. Pics Below.

Edited by: Deputydog
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunlop
Can anyone tell me how the holding tank flush works. I have two hose connections at my water station. One is for city hook up and the other says "flush". I'm assuming this is to flush my gray and black tanks or maybe just the black I'm not sure. If so, How do I use it. From what I have seen at dump stations the water supply's never have a threaded hose fitting that would work with a trailer. Makes sense because they don't want people to fill their potable water tanks. I have always seen a metal hook like water nozzle.

Thanks in advance

Mike

IMPORTANT!!!! DO NOT USE YOUR FRESH WATER HOSE FOR THIS PROCEDURE. Instead buy a cheap 25 foot garden hose that can be stored separately from your freshwater hoses.

The flush connector is for the black water tank only. There is a spray header mounted inside the Black tank.

Drain your Black tank first then connect a hose from a water source to the flush connector and let it run for about 4 to 5 mins. Then drain the tank again. This should be sufficient to clean out the tank of any solid waste. Disconnect your flush hose at the flush connector and run some fresh water through it andthen disconnect it from the supply source. When you store your flush hose,DO NOT STORE IT WITH YOUR FRESH WATER HOSE(S).

Ifyoucan'tuse thetank flush, because you only have the "hook" nozzle then you'll have to wait untilhave the ability to flush it. The "hook" nozzle isused to clean outyou tankdrain hoseafter you've dumped your tanks. The dumping sequence for your tanks is from the dirtiest to the cleanest as follows: 1stBlack water, 2nd Gray water (kitchen), 3rd Gray water(bath).

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ok Thanks,
Do you keep your black tank valve closed while rinsing or rinse directly to the station"s dump out. Is there a spray nozzle in the black tank? Is there any risk of overfilling the black tank while rinsing if the dump valve is closed. I would imagine it would end up coming in the bathroom is that correct (no over flow protection). That would be ugly! My manual says nothing about any of this let alone mention the flush. I must say for the price they charge for these units they could spend a little more time developing a specific manual that goes with a trailer not a generic one. Attention to detail this entire industry lack!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Sorry I posted this last message before seeing Hamops reply.

Thanks I got it now

Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunlop
Ok Thanks,
Do you keep your black tank valve closed while rinsing or rinse directly to the station"s dump out. Is there a spray nozzle in the black tank? Is there any risk of overfilling the black tank while rinsing if the dump valve is closed. I would imagine it would end up coming in the bathroom is that correct (no over flow protection). That would be ugly! My manual says nothing about any of this let alone mention the flush. I must say for the price they charge for these units they could spend a little more time developing a specific manual that goes with a trailer not a generic one. Attention to detail this entire industry lack!

See my previous reply.
When you're flushing, leave the dump valve closed and let the water run for about 5 minutes, then open the dump valve. This will allow any solids in the tank to loosen and will be more easily flushed out of the tank. Turn off the flushing water and let the Black drain and then close the dump valve.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Hamops, I don't see what the big deal is about using two different hoses. The black water tank flush is an inlet not an outlet. It should never see anything from the black tank.
I have a "Y" hooked up to the water inlets with and "Y" valve going to a single short hose. I hook my hose up to a single point and the flip the "Y" valve to either fresh water or flush. It works perfectly and I'm still alive

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

My flush hook up has a one way check valve. I just went and looked at it. It's apart of the hose hook up. I guess there is the chance of the check valve failing but the black tank would have to over fill to have fluid touch the valve to contaminate.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I use awhite "potable" hose for fresh water and a regular green garden hose for flushing the black tank. Also attach a short section of each with quick couplings on one end toextend the hoses below the trailer to keep water out of the compartment when you disconnect. After flushing the tank I use the green hose and an adapter to flush the dump hose before storing it in the bumper.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
Hamops, I don't see what the big deal is about using two different hoses. The black water tank flush is an inlet not an outlet. It should never see anything from the black tank.
I have a "Y" hooked up to the water inlets with and "Y" valve going to a single short hose. I hook my hose up to a single point and the flip the "Y" valve to either fresh water or flush. It works perfectly and I'm still alive

Actually, I have "Y" valve as welland I haven't kicked thebucket either. I screw it onto the water supply valve. I connect the green flush hose to one valve on the "Y" and the drinking water hose to the other. When I'm in full-service campsite, I sometimes have to drain the black tank and that's when I use the flush system. I'll turn on the flush valve at the "Y" and the close the drinking water hose for the time being. When I'm ready to close the flush valve, I open the drinking water valve and then close the flush valve. I don't really have to do that but it helps to ensure that the flow is always away from the supply valve. I'll run water through the flush hose when we're packing up and I store it separately from my drinking water hoses.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

We use two hoses - Blue for water and green for sewer. They are the coiled expandable garden hoses that you get at Walmart complete with a nozzel.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hi Mike,

Crossroads includes a San-T-Flush manual with their very complete set of information sheets. Don't know why you didn't get one. I know a lot of owners close the dump valve when their flush is operating to get more clean water into the tank. The owners book advises not to do that. One of my neighbors was doing exactly that when across the street yelled "Hey Fred got a second? During that time of assisting his neighbor he heard a bang and upon running back to his unit he found sewage had come up thru the toilet and was all over his interior carpet and the black tank had burst. The repair cost totalled in the thousands.

Good luck with the system, Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote