Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Roof offgasing smell

Anyone else have a really bad smell from the roof off gasing in direct sunlight. Hope it goes away soon.
wmasscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Team

I never heard of that. How new is the camper? Maybe some other forum member has. If you have off gassing problem it would mean others would have that problem also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Are you sure it's not your black tank? It could be coming from either the black tank vent pipe or if you are flushing the toilet with the bathroom vent fan on. We used to have that problem. No more flushing with that fan on and switched to The geo method for black tank management. Now we don't have that problem anymore.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm with anaro,

Sounds like it is coming from your black tank, but should not matter whether your in direct sunlight or cloudy day though.

Your in Mass., so can't be all that warm.

I'd grab a ladder and walk the roof. if it's your black tank vent.well...you'll know when you walk over that way...

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Team

I have been wondering how you determined it's the roof that is creating the smell??

How new is your trailer? If you have a brand new unit it could be that the smell is coming from the inside of the trailer. (new trailer smell) Which is usually caused by formaldehyde in the building products.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Well since the trailer is brand new 2015 and hasn't left the yard yet it can not be the black tank. The reason I feel it is the roof is because I smell it when the roof is in direct sun and figured that is where it is coming from. There is no smell on the inside of the camper just on the outside.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Check for a dead varmint under the AC shield, the fridge vent or any other place something can crawl into.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

It is the roof material that stinks. Put a ladder up and climbed up. The smell is nauseous. Not sure what they use in their roofs. You can smell it from 50 feet away when the sun is hitting it. Tried washing it, but did not help. Trailer is less than 2 months old and haven't used it yet
Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Site Team

I have never heard of such a thing. I think you should call CR and see what they have to say about it. If it's that bad, that would be hard to live with.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have never heard of such a thing. I think you should call CR and see what they have to say about it. If it's that bad, that would be hard to live with.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmasscampers View Post
Anyone else have a really bad smell from the roof off gasing in direct sunlight. Hope it goes away soon.
I have the same thing going on. I contacted crossroads of course they say they have never heard of this. They were quick to give me the tel number for Dicor Corp the makers of the rubber roof. I called them 2 hours ago and a customer services supervisor is supposed to get back to me. The call taker said she never heard of this also. Stand by hopefully for updates.
Sherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Just a friendly reminder, some of the newer Crossroads (I'm not sure what kind you have) units have a non-walkable roof and you don't want to cause any problem while you are up there ,be careful. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about the odor. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
New Camper

Un walkable roof

Thanks, I believe I have a un walkable roof as I have to lean in off a ladder to check the odor. The last thing I need to do now is damage the roof structure.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Remember you black tank vents out thru the roof, that smell could be coming from the vent pipe
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
New Camper

I used to think it was a downdraft from the black tank vent. Yesterday I plugged both grey and black tank vents and removed the sewer drain hose from the bumper and plugged up the 2 openings on the bumper hose storage. With every thing plugged up we still have the odor. Today the trailer is in the garage out of the sun, the smell is not as noxious as yesterday but putting your nose just above the rubber roof you have the odor. As our first member posted the odor is unbelievable in the sun. Also there is no odor inside the coach unless you open a roof vent.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

We are still having the issue but not as bad as it used to be. Reached out to Crossroads and Dicor but they never heard of it before. We don't smell too much anymore. Mostly notice it after roof is damp and then sits out in the sun. Was starting to think I was crazy, but guess I am not the only one
Old 04-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #17
New Camper

Dicor also said they have never heard of this either. You are not crazy the problem does exist. We both have 2015 model year units .Maybe built around the same time. A Dicor salesman called me back late yesterday afternoon and wanted me to take pictures of the roof and send them to him. Hopefully he will get back to me Monday. To wmasscampers what model do you have and do you know when your coach was built.?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
wmasscampers what model do you have and do you know when your coach was built.?
This is why, if everybody would put their make, model, and year of their camper in their sig. it would be a big help to all concerned.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
New Camper

Roof odor

Was able to find out there was a problem with the glue or rubber roof material used by Dicor a few years ago. A bad sulphur smell was being emitted from the roof, supposedly some changes were made after that by Dicor. Got this info both from Crossroads and Dicor. Now neither will talk about it. Losing faith in Crossroads and their roof sub contractor Dicor. Who says they have a 12 year warranty on their roof. Still pursuing I don't go away easily
Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
Was able to find out there was a problem with the glue or rubber roof material used by Dicor a few years ago. A bad sulphur smell was being emitted from the roof, supposedly some changes were made after that by Dicor. Got this info both from Crossroads and Dicor. Now neither will talk about it. Losing faith in Crossroads and their roof sub contractor Dicor. Who says they have a 12 year warranty on their roof. Still pursuing I don't go away easily
Well good luck to you...Hope you get your issue resolved...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote