Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

With the Kingston, I think because of the length we have some problems with the back end of the fiver dragging, I think it is probably the rear support jacks draggingand i have seen some units with rollers attached to the rear to prevent the dragging. Does anyone have any thoughts on the roller arrangements? If this is a sound plan where can the rollers be purchased?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you are dragging as far forward as the rear scissor jacks I am not sure rollers are going to help you. Have you checked the scissor jacks for scrape marks? Are you sure it is not your rear bumper dragging on something?
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hunter 11,

Thanks for the quick reply, I went out and checked the rear scissor jacks and the rear bumper and was unable to see any scrape marks on either the rear scissor jacks or the rear bumper. The reason I think it is the rear scissor jacks is that they extend 4" lower than the bumper and are only 7" in front of the bumper.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

You can have metal rollers installed at the rear. They would probably have to be welded on at the rear of the frame where the bumper is attached to the frame. Our spare tireis mounted at the rear of our trailer and hangs down about the same level as the rear scissor jacks. So far I have never dragged the rear of ours but that does not mean I won't someday.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks ,I will look at the spare tire maybe that is what is dragging.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
When I got my 33sk, I had the same problem. First trip out the rear jacks dragged and one bent. I replaced them with heavier ones and moved them in front of the frame for the bumper. Then a couple weeks later I took 5er back to dealerfor warranty work and they told me that the spare tire carrier underneath was crushed.. It was then put on the rear bumper. There are times I am close to hitting but don't.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I measured the clearance on my 33SK. I measured 15" from the bottom of the rear jack plates to the ground. We have about 3,000 miles on it now and I'm not aware of any problems with scraping the back end. If you add rollers you will be just that much closer to ground contact. I would be concerned also on what possible effect it might have on the frame when you "bottom out", essentially lifting the back of the rig from the back end. Curious what your clearance measures???

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I measured the clearance on my 33SK. I measured 15" from the bottom of the rear jack plates to the ground. Curious what your clearance measures??? We measure about 15".

In looking at the rear jacks I can see that at some time both have dragged. I can recall two times when the rear jack(s) scraped, one was down a stepgrade out of a fuel station and at the bottom we had to make a turn and the truck started up a grade before the fiver was done with coming down the grade, the other time was coming out a corp. park. in Ga.

In looking at the rear jacks they could be moved to the fiver frame,I think they would need to be welded?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

jaallen1, they do not need to be welded onto the frame. I replaced my rear jacks last weekend after I made a boo boo and bent one of mine. They arescrewed onto the frame. I will say that the ones that came on our unit were quite flimsy compared to the ones I replaced them with. I went with the 7500 lb rated ones that CW had on sale and even the 5000 lb scissor jacks they had felt more sturdy than the stock ones. I just pulled the old ones off and held the new ones in place with my floor jack while I drilled new holes.

It should be fairly easy for you to move yours.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

HunterII, thanks that sounds like something I need to take care of.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

We got the electric jack option, and have been very happy with them. Now you just gave me another reason to be even more happy, as they lift up and do not hang much below the bottom of the bumper.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Hello Grant,

I would like to see those electric stabilizers. Tell us more. Where did you get them; easy to install?

When will you be back in Gardiner so we can drop over and check them out?

On the way out toward Cody we got some great photos of a grizzly swimming.

Hope all is well with you.

Kamper Dave
Kamper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote