Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
New Camper

I picked up my 32QB last August and ever since then I have had an issue with a fine layer of mildew forming in the front storage compartment. It forms on the small piece of trim in the front of the compartment that sits on the carpet. As soon as I noticed it I wiped it down with bleach and water and let the compartment air out. I was hoping it was just moisture from some toys that we had at the beach and stored in the compartment. However, since then I have removed nearly everything and the mildew keeps coming back. I also noticed that my locks on the front storage compartment are already corroded.

I can't find any large areas of moisture, such as a leak, it just appears to be moisture in the air.

Is anyone else having similar issues? If so what did you find and were you able to fix it?

Edited by: rmcardam
rmcardam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't know where you are located, but if you are down in the southern and south eastern states where the humidity is high, in my opinion that might be your problem.
Do a search on the forum, some one just recently posted about a nifty dehumidifier they had found and were using in the camper.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
New Camper

I am actually in the Northeast, so I wouldn't expect this type of issue. It almost seems like there could be a really small leak, just enough to let the water in. I don't have any other issues with moisture in the rest of the camper.
rmcardam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I would check under any cabinets and in any areas where you may have piping running above that area...I think that might be all you can do at this point...it could be a very small leak...just a drip that is letting the moisture build but not producing puddles...in addition to searching this forum you may consider talking to your dealer...he may have had some expertise with this in the past...good luck to you...I am originally from the Northeast too

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You mentioned the locks were corroded. Sometimes water will leak thru the actual lock. My suggestion may be to replace your locks. There is no way to repair a leaking lock, only replace.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I had the same problem with my 29BH. Mildew and kind of a yucky smell, dampness in the carpet. Then I found it. There's a black strip right above the diamond plate (or perhaps about the same height as the top of the LP tanks) and on our unit, the sealant had gaps between that and the panel that curves up to the roofline. Like they didn't use enough. So I applied a thin bead of sealant and there's no longer a moisture problem.

<strike>2004 Dodge Durango</strike>

2009 GMC Sierra 1500

2012 Slingshot GT29BH
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote