Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

The front cap onour Cruiser had a lot ofblack and grey streaks on it so I decided to take advantage of the warm weather today (54 degrees) and wash and wax the front. I have never had the cap look so dirty and I was a little confused as to why it had gotten that way. I decided to climb up the ladderto look atthe roof and it was filthy! We have a had a bunch of snow and ice over the last month and it had left alot of silt-like dirt on the roof. I decided I had better wash the roof before I cleaned up the cap or I would just end up in the same situation again. So I got out the spic & span and washed just the front of the roof (the part that slopes forward). I wanted to get the cap waxed today since it is supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow so I just did the front part today and tomorrow will get out and do the back part of the roof. As I was washing the roof I noticed the water was really rolling forward towards the cap. When I got down off the roof I checked the front to back level and sure enough the 5er was sitting nose down instead of level. When we parked it last I must have had my eyes crossed when I looked at the level. I raised the front and got back up on the roof to "experiment". This time when I hosed the roofdown, the water rolled towards the rear of the unit and off to the sides. Before, most of the water on the front part of the roof rolled forward and did not go off the side and into the gutters. This is why the front cap was so dirty. So...I washed and waxed the cap and now it looks great. I wish I would have paid closer attention to the level last time...I believe I could have saved myself some work!

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

All that work deserves a cold beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

This is something we ALL have to look forward to in the next few months! At least you can say "Your done!".
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Sorry I know this has been covered before but what mix are you using with the spic & span,50/50? Also are you using a soft med or hard brush to clean with?

Thank You,Â*

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I try to wax my front cap every other month. Takes about 45 minutes...but it sure is a lot easier to keep clean.

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I used a dash of spic and span to a gallon. Seriously, I use the powered stuff and just sprinkled a little in the bucket and added a gallon of warm water. (The only place I can get the powder is at Ace Hardware.) I really did not use much at all, it just doesn't take very much and it does a great job. I also use a sponge and not a brush. I feel like I get better results with the sponge. It takes a little longer but I personally can get it cleaner with the sponge. One thing I have noticed, if any washes down onto the side of the camper I need to hose it off before it dries because it leaves white streaks otherwise.

tcamper- I too try to keep a good coat of wax on the cap. I have actually waxed it in 4 different states during our travels. The time it takes to wash and wax it is worth it when you have to wash it after a run in witha swarm of gnats, love bugs, mosquitos, mayflies......

Lonnie

Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Lonnie. I'll give this a try as soon as the weather warms up. This could be April around here. I'm sure the sponge is a lot easier on the roof just a lot harder on this old guys knee's.

Have a good week.
John

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Is Spic and Span the best thing to use on the roof ???

2005 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4

2008 Cruiser CF32BL

https://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...DSC01533-1.jpg
bradrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

In the past Ihave used a "rubber roof cleaner" like the kind you can buy at Wal-Mart or most rv dealers. Those worked fine but the Spic and Span seems to take far less "scrubbing" and the roof, to me at least, looks cleaner than when I used the other cleaner. I started using Spic and Span after reading a post by Keith (Hunter11) I think, about using it. If you go to the "old" forum and search I am sure you will find posts about it. I only use the powdered form because the liquid has colorings in it and I was concerned that it might discolor the roof. The powdered form is hard to find in my area. Ace Hardware is the only place I have been able to locate it. It is also great on awnings! My awning was really bad. I had rolled it up wet (no choice- it was raining) and thenwas notable to unroll it again to let it air out for several days. It had a lot of mold and mildew on it but the Spic and Span took it right off (with a little elbow grease).

Lonnie

Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Spic-n-Span has been about the best thing I have found to clean the roof and all the awnings. I have used the powder and the liquid and both seem to work fine. Like Lonnie said the powder seems to be harder to find most of the time. I also prefer a medium bristle brush for the roof as opposed to the softer one I use on the trailer.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Wow you guys sound like you this cleaning all figured out.....Now Come on to South Carolina and show me how to get my 5er all clean....Yup I will find a good shade tree and and watch yall teach me on my 5er......

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I use a power washer on the roof. I have been doing that for 12 years and never had a problem. Gets the roof very clean but you have to be careful to use the correct setting on the nozzel or you can put a hole in the roof.

Second RV is a 2001 Sierra 30BHS fifth wheel currently parked at property on Lake Athens, TX.

MKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

wow i waxed the cap for the first time today .this process does take a lot of beer however i was willing to make the sacrifice.finally getting ready for the first trip would have liked to take a short one first but cant get enough time away from work. we are going to georgia to pick up the grand kids an we will spend their spring break in kentucky at mammoth caverns first week of april or so just glad to get out and away for a bit.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapachoo
wow i waxed the cap for the first time today .this process does take a lot of beer however i was willing to make the sacrifice.finally getting ready for the first trip would have liked to take a short one first but cant get enough time away from work. we are going to georgia to pick up the grand kids an we will spend their spring break in kentucky at mammoth caverns first week of april or so just glad to get out and away for a bit.
Sounds like you are planning a pretty nice trip for you and that new 5er.
Enjoy!!!!!!!

By the way my Grandpa used to brew beer and moonshine. I've heard some pretty wild tales from my Dad about that era.
Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I brew a lot of beer it doesn't need a timetable to make and I have several recipes I like. I tried shine once as a youth and thought I messed up . Since then I have had the chance to try the real stuff and mine wasn't so bad.However I think I will stick with beer.I like what I brew.

2019 Volante 240RL
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I have considered using my new low powered elec pressure washer on the roof. Has anyone sealed their roof after a good spic & span cleaning? I was dinged on my trade in camper because of not having the roof sealed. With my Cruiser I never sealed the roof but only cleaned with spic & span (liquid) and it looked great. However, I never sealed one with any type of chemicals. I would like to hear from those who sealed and what was used. Also, if anyone else has used a low powered pressure washer.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I hope you mean seal the seams with Dicor, etc. If your talking about the "roll on" roof treatments they are junk and some can damage rather then help your roof.

I use a med. bristle brush (nylon or natural) with Spic N' Span and rinse the roof well after use. I don't use a pressure washer on the roof as even on a low setting my pressure washer could force water through vents and under seals.

Good luck!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I was told not to use a pressure washer on the camper anywhere, it's bad on the roof, and wil ruin the decals, I have just ordered 2 rolls of eternabond tape and I am going to seal all the roof seams, I did alot of reading on eternabond and nobody said a bad word about it, and they claim it will last as long as the camper, pretty cheap insurance and alot easier to do than trying to fix a leak after you get one, if you order do it on line, I got a 50 foot roll for 50.00, if you go thru a camping store the price is the same but the roll is only 37 foot, now we just need some weather to get it done..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I never thought about spic-n-span in the powder would be hard to find. I went to several stores around here and couldn't find any in the powder, but plenty of the liquid. I went on the web and did a search. Found the company web-site. They had a store locator for there products. Just type in your zip code and click on the product your looking for and it will search your area. Needless to say, but spic-n-span is sold anywhere near me.

Coolbreeze1

coolbreeze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Spic n Span powder i read in a few other posts on the forum that ace hardware carried it.I checked and i found it there good luck.

2019 Volante 240RL