Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Landing Gear 2011 Cruisers

When setting up at the site last night I had to use the landing gear a little more than usual. The motor got hot and made a lot of 'groaning' noises. Did not quit working. I am wondering if it is damaged . I have about 2 months warranty left
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

hard to say. You CAN overextend them and also raise them too much.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2008 CR 32bl and recently had the same issue... although I did not notice how warm the motor got, I did hear the motor "groaning" as it extended. I usually put down at least 10-12" of blocks and then extend the feet pads before engaging the landing gear motor. However, the last couple of times I used the landing gear, I got the motor sounding very labored. Took it to a local trailer shop, NOT an RV shop, and found out it was a battery issue.
Long way around the barn, but perhaps you may want to check the battery before spending money on a motor. Also, I am learning to find vendors other than RV shops since I originally reached out to a CW shop and was told it would be 3 weeks before they could look at it. I went to American Trailer and Tow at 8 am last Friday and drove away 30 mins later with a new battery and a working landing gear.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

As soon as I get my 5er into a site, and I am satisfied with its position in the site in reguards with distance to hook ups and room for slide opening space, I level it side to side. Before I lower the landing gear I plug it in to shore power then I level it front to back. That way the draw on the battery is minimal.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
As soon as I get my 5er into a site, and I am satisfied with its position in the site in reguards with distance to hook ups and room for slide opening space, I level it side to side. Before I lower the landing gear I plug it in to shore power then I level it front to back. That way the draw on the battery is minimal.
Since mine is plugged into the idling truck and drawing power from it I level side-side and then unhook(raise the trailer). Usually I have to lower the landing gear to level F-B and going down doesn't present the same load as going up, the battery (130AH AGM) handles that easily.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I usually do side to side then chock. Do front to back while still hooked to truck. Then disconnect truck and plug into shore power. Then do stabs and put out slide. You can tell a difference in speed if only using TT battery.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

If the trailer shifts after unhitching - after releasing the "jaw" on the hitch (trailer movers backwards a bit on the chocks). I'll re-hitch - reengage the "jaw"and release the "jaw" to take the load off the landing gear/motor. Works for me.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

When I am unhitched and truck is clear so I can lower the trailer if needed my 7 way cord is not long enough.

So as others said I connect to shore power before I level with landing gear. Then I open the slides also connected to shore power. The reverse while connected to shore power in prep to hitch. I do not disconnect from shore power until I am hitched and ready to connect the 7 way.

With wet cell batteries as I have the less you draw from them using the landing gear and slides the longer the batteries will last.

Wet cell batteries are most happy fully charged. If kept fully charged and water levels above the plates a wet cell battery will last for a very long time.

If I am not where I have shore power I start and connect my Honda 2000 before I level with the landing gear and extend the slides.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies. I think that my problem was caused by a combination of things. I hitched and unhitched a couple of times without plugging back in to the truck and the jacks were binding somewhat as NorskeNY said. It was the end of a very long day....Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You may wish to scribe two marks into the landing gear leg as an indicator that you are about to reach the end of travel.