Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to sddsman
Just purchased my 2010 26BL last October, it was a demo unit and is in really good condition. I noticed it has Bias-Ply tires instead of Radials. The dealer installed a radial for a spare.

While I like radials better, does anyone have any opinion regarding the factory installed Bias-Plys? How long were you able to use them? Did they blow when you were driving down the road? Worth changing before the season?

Thanks everyone,

Steve
sddsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It may be just me but bias-ply seem so old fashion.I also think radials seem to ride much better.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I've had both and will never go bias-ply again for the reason cwit mentioned plus the radials have worn much better.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to sddsman
Thanks for the replies. Would you run on factory Bias-Plys or change before the season? These things only have a few miles on them, and are really new.

How long did you run with the factory bias-plys? I like radials better also, but when you first buy the TT, there are always something to spend money on.
sddsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I ran mine 4 years with good luck. But watch them close. I switch from 15 to 16ins. and went with lt tires.`
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I ran my bias2 years. They started showing some very strange wear patterns. Replaced one of them..later sold the trailer.

They were on a 2005 vintage trailer purchased new. Replaced trailer with the2008 Sunset Trail which came with radials.Edited by: coastn

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Oh wow, this post couldn't have happened at a better time. I just took one of my bias plys in for replacement yesterday. It had all sorts of scratch looking marks on the outside. Some looked deep and with only 4 ply on the side walls, I decided it wasn't worth the risk. When I got to the tire store they told me that they didn' t have any bias plys but they had a radial that would fit. I said okay and took the spare home. The more I got to looking at the other 4 on the camper I decided to order radials all around. So, when I get home I will be getting new tires. My approach to replacing them all was this..how much damage will a blown out tire cause to my trailer or to someone else at 70 mph?I can guarantee it's more than the cost of 4 new radial tires. I will never understand why companies take the cheap route out. I am a customer who will pay for quality stuff. If you gave me the choice of bias plys or radials when I purchased the camper, I would have takenthe radials. Be safe for yourself and your family. *stepping off my soap box*

2010 Zinger 31SB
tabrown2001 is offline   Reply With Quote