Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Site Team

TX. drought

How are you guys down there doing now as far as water? Are you getting enough rain to replenish the ground water? I know some were having to get water hauled in. Just wondering as it sounded like maybe things were a little better down there this summer according to what news we have heard.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

X2...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Ken
Weekend Camper

Conditions in part of the state like where I am in East Texas things are great and the lakes are full. The farther west you go the drier it is but this summer could have been a lot worse there has been enough rain to not make things worse. California has it a lot worse than us their lakes are hurting big time

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Some of my oak trees are showing real signs of recovery from the wildfire, so the mild summer has helped. Other oaks have made no improvement in 3 years and I've still lost a few oaks this summer including one of the biggest ones. Plenty of people still having to haul water although my well seems to be doing ok. This summer was mild up til about mid July, now most days are over 100 degrees.

Lake Travis is at 625 ft, the spillway is around 702 ft, so it will be a long time before the boat docks below my house float again. Even then, some have 20 ft tall trees growing next to them, so it will take a lot of rain to float them above the trees.

So, while temperatures and soil moisture are better, there has been almost no improvement in surface water or ground water levels.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
I received a notification the other day that there was a "boil water" ordered for Weslaco, where I'll be spending the winter. Not what I wanted to hear. They said they are working on a new water system for the city to keep up with the growth. They were optimistic that it would be in place and ready to go by November, I truly hope so. I have shied away from AZ and CA because of drought and wildfire worries there, and I've never been a huge fan of Florida. I guess if this doesn't work out it leaves just Alabama or Oregon for future choices. I hope this winter provides rain for all who need it.

Travel well, travel safe,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Some of my oak trees are showing real signs of recovery from the wildfire, so the mild summer has helped. Other oaks have made no improvement in 3 years and I've still lost a few oaks this summer including one of the biggest ones. Plenty of people still having to haul water although my well seems to be doing ok. This summer was mild up til about mid July, now most days are over 100 degrees.

Lake Travis is at 625 ft, the spillway is around 702 ft, so it will be a long time before the boat docks below my house float again. Even then, some have 20 ft tall trees growing next to them, so it will take a lot of rain to float them above the trees.

So, while temperatures and soil moisture are better, there has been almost no improvement in surface water or ground water levels.

I was wondering how you were fairing out. After the fire combined with the lack of rain fall, things were not good in your neck of the woods.
We're glad to hear there has been some improvement.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We're at Canyon Lake at the Randolph AFB Famcamp (just a little ways northeast of San Antonio for the weekend. The camping is great, but the lake has got to be at least 30 feet low.They were calling for rain Friday-Sunday, but not a drop.
Unfortunately the boat ramp is closed because it ends approximately 50 short of the water.
We'll need one or two slow moving tropical storms to make it this far north to put a dent in this drought, but I don't see any in the forecast at this time. Meanwhile, we're praying for rain.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Team

If I could give you some of the rain we've had lately I sure would.
3.2 in. last night, 2.1 in. last week, and 7.5 in. the week before.
It has been and exceptionally wet summer this year. Plus we had a lot of snow last winter.
It would be nice if things could be divided up a little better sometimes.
All tho I will say, I'm happy to have more then not enough.
Well, it is what it is, and we all will have to live with it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Appreciate the genture Lloyd, but we'll be ok, these. Droughts come and go. Looking at the historical trends, we'll bounce back nicely....eventually.
Here's a picture of the boat ramp I mentioned previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (370.6 KB, 5 views)
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote