Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I have an 06 CF29CK Cruiser and my wife points out that our counter tops especially around the sink are curling up around the edges. Obviously moisture has leaked past the rubber edge moulding and gotten into the particle board.It is not going to get any better so as a winter project I'm considering taking off the counter top and replacing it with one of the new Solid Surface materials. Has anyone done this??

I would also like to replace the plastic sink with stainless and possibly put it under the counter top instead of on top. Many new kitchens in homes have this style sink. Where would I find a small sink?? websites??
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Go to any home improvement store with the actual counter top and they will order a new one to the specs from your old one. Why do you need a "small" sink?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

A small sink can be obtained by looking for a "wet bar sink". Lowes, Home Depot?

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

The reason I'm asking about a small sink is that the sink in this counter is smaller than the size used in ahouse. I've looked at stainless sinks at Lowe's and Home Depot and they are much wider and longer than mine and my counter top in this particular 5th Wheel is very narrow. Keep in mind my trailer is a CF29CK which has three slides. The kitchen slide contains the stove and refrigerator. The counter top with sink and cabinet is in the middle of the floor in front of the slide. I think the top of the sink is only 19 in depth front to back.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Look for a bar sink

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We have the Dupont Corian counter top in our unit and I like the countertop so much that we will be using it to replace our vanity in our house.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Pull Dog, try this link. I put this unit in my PF36SK when install solid surface tops. They have other smaller than standard units also. If you are thinking of doing the work yourself, be prepared to do a lot of preplanning, Screws and supports are attached in many weird places and some supports may need to be rebuilt. Keep in mind that the cabinets are built mostly in place and anchored before the top is set on, makes it hard to get to several anchors.

http://www.dawiff.com/product_p/t216q.htm

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for this link, this is exactly what I am looking for and the prices are very very good.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I would simply replace the laminate. You can order it by the half sheet for around $50. It would be an afternoon job to remove the countertop and recover it. Corian is nice, but it adds weight. That may not be an issue with you.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have considered buying laminate and doing it myself. Of course the particle board would have to be replaced because it is swollen around the edges and new laminate would not look any better when applied to this uneven surface. I have thought about a good 3/4 inch plywood for a base. Particle board tends to swell up if any moisture gets in. Of couse they have trimmed this counter top with a rubber edging and there was nothing to prevent moisture from getting in. This could have been done differently. Weight is a consideration but I'm not so sure a solid surface material would be much heavier than particle board. The website someone gave for RV sinks was great. My CF29CK has a very narrow cabinet and a larger sink for a home would be too big. There are several at the web site. I also do not like the plastic sink in my kitchen. When you remove a hot lid from a pan it will usually be placed in the sink to cool and plastic will melt somewhat. I like stainless for this reason. I would also like a deeper sink

The table top on my unit was also a problem, it started looking like a sway backed horse after two seasons. I replaced it with one I built myself from Birch Plywood and it looks great. This counter top is the next project and I will probably do it myself.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Crossroads may have a surplus counter-top* that you could get for minimal cost. It won't hurt to ask.

*inc. Corian

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
New Camper

If you were to treat the edge of whatever wood material you use this will not happen again. You could use a regular kitchen counter top cut down, easy with a skil saw. This type will have a roll edge front to prevent the swelling. Just make sure you treat the underside for any water that may roll down and around the edge. All of the plumbing may change due to locating the new one improperly as well as an under counter top sink will lower the drain in the sink. This may not be an issue as the tail pipe may be set low enough for this type on install. Marine grade plywood is another option if you like. It can be tiled with ceramic and grouted or laminate. The cheapest would be preformed counter top with rolled edge. Hope this helps.
bwsc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

The new Crossroads Cruisers come with solid surface countertops and stainless steel sinks. You could probably contact Crossroads, give them the model and they could tell you where you can obtain one or how to order it.

sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

If I were going to go to the trouble of replacing the laminate, I would make a new counter top from exterior grade plywood.(Both marine and exterior grade plywood use the same type of waterproof glue. The difference is that marine plywood is not supposed to have voids, and that's not always the real world). Pick out the sink of your choice and cut a new opening to fit the sink. That's what you would do if you were remodeling a kitchen in a stick house.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I just looked at a picture of an '06 CF29CK. Nice floorplan. It would look really sharp with a solid surface counter in it. If you decide to go that route, it would be great if you could post some pictures.

sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

This post started a year ago and I did replace the small plastic sink with a double bowl stainless I found at Lowe's. It's small in comparison to one used in a home but much larger and deeper than the plastic junk that came in my 5th wheel. I had to enlarge the opening by a few inches but it fit. Like someone mentioned the screws and locking devices were in some tough places but I did manage to get it down. My wife decided to redo the kitchen in our residence so the 5th wheel project was put on hold. NOw here we are a year later, the house kitchen looks great with new Corian counter tops and she is hinting that maybe we need to do the camper project now.