Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
New Camper

Looking at the 2012 Elevation 3310.
I have a 2002 F350 SD 4x4 DRW Supercab 7.3L auto tranny no mods at all and about 141k on the clock. 235/85/16 E.
This is my first towable, I am not understanding the tow capcity of my truck compared to actual weight of the trailer?

Basically will my truck comfortably handle this 5th'er? If not what mods can I do to make this work? I am pretty sure it will just looking for the confidence of everyones experience.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

See I need to havea toy hauler!
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Go to TrailerLife.com website and look in the 2002 tow rating guides for the rating for your truck. Compare the max tow ratings to the GVWR of the trailer or to the listed empty trailer weight. This will give you some idea. People say empty weight should be about 80% of your max towing rating. Others will probably provide some info too. Hope this help you get started.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Matt, without knowing the specifices of the 2012 Elevation--I will try and help you understand the trailer/truck weight limitations. Basically, the GCVWR is the gross combined weight of the truck the trailer and everthing (people/fuel Included) that will be in tow. The truck you described is a good TV the GCVWR is (going from memory, so please look this up and confirm) 20,000 lb. The pin weight of the fully loaded trailer should be below the rear axel weight rating of the truck (again from memory) yoursmight be around8,800 lb (? That sounds high please check), and then the truck has a towing limit (maybe)around 12,500 lb. All of these numbers need to be below whatthe published rates for your TV(by the Manufacture). You should be able to give a dealership yourVIN # and they should be able to tell you whtat those weight ratings are. Mods to the truck or engin will not change thetow rates of the truck. Althought they can make towing a little more comfortable or economical. Please don't just go by what others have to say (including me)---(they don't have nearly as much at stakein this deal as you do). Good luck, keep asking question. Do a little homework, put it alldown on paper and decide yourself.

Flyone
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Go to

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...02_default.asp

It shows your max trailer weight at 12,800 lbs. That is with nothing in the truck but a 150lb driver.

Go to Crossroads website and look up the Elevation, there are 5 different models. The only spec's available are for the 3310.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Matt,
You could not have a more ideal truck to tow with.
Check with a dealer but your truck should be able to handle most any camper out there.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks all,

I have been told my truck will tow just about anything that I could even think about pulling or hauling... But since I have never done any real towing more than a full bed (I think it was 4.5yds) of sand or a small dirtbike trailer with 3 bikes on trailer all of our gear and 2 bikes in truck and 4 adults in the cab.

I have been online and used a few different towing capacity calculators and they all seem to say that the specs on the 3310 are above my trucks limits? I am just sure that something is wrong with the data I am inputing or these darn online calculators...

Thanks again..
P.S. I just broke the news to the wife tonight that I want this TH, she didn't scream or cuss or threaten me but she is not excited so I still have a chance.... I am firm believer of "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".
Old 03-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I would GUESS you should be alright.

Mention to the DW how you all will have the comforts of home with you at the places you bike (food,drinks,air conditioning,bathroom,bed to make a weekend out of the trip) just trying to add wood to the fire. Good luck.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Just keep in mind that RV sales people will tell you your truck can haul the USS Missouri. Read, carefully, what information the others have posted here. Don't make a $50,000 mistake.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

In addition to what has been stated above, lets break down payload a little bit as this might help you to understand why your vehicle is limited. Payload is the weight that your vehicle can have in or on it. This number includes occupants, gear, fuel, pin weight etc. (I am used to doing these figures for a TT's tongue weight and not a 5er pin weight but I believe it is the same concept, someone please chime in if I am wrong). 2 ways to find out your available payload, the first way is a little less reliable, you can look at your drivers door sticker and see the available payload rating, subtract from this occupants weight (less an allotted 150lbs for driver), weight of anything you put inside that truck and fuel weight. THis will tell you what your available payload is. The other way to calculate the available payload is to load your truck up as you would when hauling (all occupants and gear) and weight the truck w/ a full tank of fuel. This will give you an accurate weight for your truck. Subtract this # from your trucks GVWR and it will give you your available payload. Your pin weight needs to be less than this. I know you need to keep your GAWR down but I don't know how to calculate that for you. As for GCVWR, your loaded truck weight + pin weight + loaded trailer weight (not dry weight) need to be less than the trucks GCVWR. Often times a vehicles limiting factor is it's payload and not it's towing capacity. A good example of this is the F250 in my signature. Due to the options on my truck, it only has an available payload of a little over 1800 lbs on a diesel that is rated to tow up to 12000 lbs. That just won't happen with that payload. The reason for the difference in these numbers is a lot of trailers like flatbeds etc don't have as heavy a tongue weight or pin weight as an RV requires for stability, so a vehicle can tow more but with an RV they tow less. Is any of what I am typing making sense? Good luck to you in your search for the right TH for you.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo

Just keep in mind that RV sales people will tell you your truck can haul the USS Missouri. Read, carefully, what information the others have posted here. Don't make a $50,000 mistake.

x2 on this. Sales people sell according to a dry weight that no-one tows around. This is not an accurate assessment so do not listen to them. I did and ended up w/ a new to me tow vehicle within 1 year. This is how I ended up learning about true tow capacities and RV's.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Matt,
I received a magazine in the mail today that has an article you may want to read.
There is a good write-up in the Highways (Good Sams) April-May 2012 issue starting on page 30 by the RV Doctor. "Matching the Perfect RV to the Perfect Tow Vehicle"
Send a private email if you can't find it.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Go drive one of the new ones if you dare....night and day difference from anything previously...Coming from an 2004 6.0, and a 2009 6.4, it is amazing the difference....might be a bit of a strain with 141K on the clock.....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
New Camper

Thanks to all of you for your information, responses and education.

Looks like I am stuck in the water for now, the wife has put the Kabosh on our purchase for now.
Not happy with her at all or the situation, it is strictly financial with her. We do have the money right now, but she is worried that one or both of our primary vehicles will drop dead then what will we do to get to work, that's her arguement....Trust me this is not over...

I have couple upgrades that I wanted to do with the truck so I guess these will get done before we/I buy instead of as they seem like a good upgrade. Front and rear air bags will be going in, trailer brake controller will be put in, filtration unit for the tranny and 6.0 tranny cooler will go in, new shocks all the way around, install my new wicked wheel in the turbo, I also need to upgrade my exhaust and decide what guages I want and install themand also start searching craigs list for a nice 5th hitch since when I purchase I will have the airride pin box installed prior to delivery.

Anyone know if there are any Elevation units in central or northern California? Website does not have Elevations listed as a search option for dealerships. So far the closest one I have found on the web is one in Colorado.

Thanks again, I will be around lurking mostly for a while.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by: fordman
Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
New Camper

Hi all, I'm new to the site. We just upgraded from a tent trailer to a slingshot 32QB, take delivery next week.

Anyway, did a lot of reading on towing capacities and found following websitevery helpful.

http://www.rvuniversity.com/staticpa...ow_Trailer_101

Richard
rich.dev is offline   Reply With Quote