Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD and I am told everyone on here is open and completely willing to call a spade a spade which is what I am looking for. My questions are

1. Would you purchase a unit from this manufacturer again?
2. Would you buy this unit again
3. What is the build quality like
4. Are there any major or minor common issues I should know about

Thanks in advance!!!!
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

hello and welcome. I have the zinger and have not had any major issues. The few minor issues I had were resolved under warranty. That said, I have a 2011. That was in the era that crossroads still offered a 2 yr limited warranty and had fewer issues than they do now. Yes we have seen a spike in issues with crossroads but that same spike has been seen across all manufacturers. The trick is to get a trailer that the manufacturer will stand behind. I personally have not had any issues getting crossroads to take care of problems. Some have discovered dealerships to be an issue and contacting crossroads directly worked for them. Some have had excellent service from the dealership and problems with crossroads. Some have praised the service they get from both. The one theme I have seen is crossroads responds better to phone calls than emails when there is an issue. The other thing I have noticed is the generalized air of discontent due to crossroads decreasing their warranty from 2 yrs to 1 yr. I will tell you that there has been some recent management changes at crossroads and now we are all waiting to see what that will bring. As for another trailer from them, that would depend on a lot of things. I love my trusty little zinger but I would like to see a return of the 2 yr warranty. We love the sabre by forest river but if crossroads had the right floorplan for the right price and weight then I wouldn't be opposed to getting another one if I liked it better than the sabre. Common issues... do a very very very thorough pdi and don't accept trailer until everything is working and in good or perfect condition. A large number of early problems could have been found with a thorough pdi, happy hunting.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yes.

We considered a Sunset Trail (next year) but happened on a layout we wanted in the Zinger. We traded our 2012 Zinger 27BH in on a 2014 32QB.

After a very wet weekend with opportunity to use most every appliance, I am quite satisfied with the decision to purchase a 2nd unit of the same brand/manufacturer.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
Do a very very very thorough pdi and don't accept trailer until everything is working and in good or perfect condition. A large number of early problems could have been found with a thorough pdi, happy hunting.
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far, it sounds like everyone has issues!!! As for the thorough PDI Can people help me create a list of what I need to test and look at while doing the PDI??? Maybe it can become a sticky for other newbies looking for help as well!!

We ultimately wanted a fifth wheel to replace our TT but saw the floor plan on the 33BD and LOVED it!!!! With the exception of a second bathroom in the bunkhouse for our 3yr old, it had everything we wanted!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Unfortunately we don't gave anyone who can make a sticky. Crossroads doesn't really monitor the forum and won't make anyone a moderator here.

For your pdi.... videotape it!!!!!
If it turns on or off, opens, closes, moves, etc you want it demonstrated and you return the demo. Open every cabinet and drawer etc as well. Run slides in and out. Check all caulking. Get on roof, check for rips, cracks, bubbles, leaks, soft spots. Check whole trailer for signs of leaks (ie soft spots, delamination or bubbles in siding, wetness, etc). Have them open up your cabinet where the water heater and water pump are. Have them show you the process to winterize and dewinterize. Have them show you where dump valves are grey and black tanks (if you have 2 grey tanks, know where both of these valves are). Have them show you where your low point drains are. Have them show you the process to hook up and unhook your wdh and sway control (repeat demo and repeat again when you get home). Have them run water, hot and cold. Run AC and heat. If you can think of any questions ask it. Do not hand any money over until the pdi is complete and everything is fixed to your satisfaction. Do not accept "bring it back and fix it under warranty".

What are you towing with? What kind of brake controller do you have? You want either an integrated brake controller or a proportional brake controller. You do not want a time delay brake controller. Get the dealership to throw a wdh with integrated sway control into the deal. ideally you want something like Reese dual cam or equal-i-zer. You do not want friction sway bar with that size TT. Have fun shopping.

ps we bought our TT when our daughter was 3 also. She has loved these last 3 years in it. She still gets super excited every time we talk about camping.Edited by: anaro

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for running through some of the stuff required on the PDI. Great tip on the video taping, I guess if there is a problem it's hard to argue with documented proof!!! Is there an issue with the build quality or is it just a CYA sort of thing. Also, I read that Crossroads are currently undergoing a change in leadership, would it make sense to wait and see what the new management decided with reference to warranty etc prior to purchasing???

To answer some of your questions...

I am towing it with a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie CC SRW SB with the 6.7 CTD and a 3:73 rear end. I have a max tow weight of 13,500 so I should be well within limits. As for the hitch, I have a Husky heavy hitch with 1,000LB torsion weight distribution bars that I used to tow my current trailer...a 2003 26 foot Coachmen Cascade RBS. Reason I asked about the list is not because I am a complete newbie but I have never purchased a new unit.

Thank for all the chat so far!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The videotape is more of a reference for yourself for later down the road. I used it a few times to remember where something was or how to do something like winterizing etc. We do not know what will come with new management. There are high hopes and i have been seeing more positive customer service stories lately. In terms of warranty if they go back to the 2+5 yr limited warranty it will probably be done much the same way they went to the 1 yr warranty. When they did that the 1 yr warranty appplied to all trailers built after 9/1/2012. I suspect they would pick a build date and go with it. Not sure when or if that will ever happen. I am not sure I would hold my breath for it. You could always try asking customer service about it (I would call because you won't get an answer from email.)

Your truck should do just fine with that trailer but I would upgrade your bars to 1400 lb bars. You are looking at a tongue weight that will likely be 1100-1400 lbs depending on how heavily loaded the TT is. Typically a good weight to base the WDH on is 15% of the TT GVWR. In this case the TT has a GVWR of 9600 lbs. 15% would be 1440 lbs. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded TT weight. You want bars heavy enough to handle the TT if loaded to capacity (even though you won't likely put all 2000 lbs into the TT, it allows for the possibility). I am not really familiar with the husky hitches but it looks like they have one that has sway control and one that does not. If yours doesn't, I would strongly recommend getting one with integrated sway control. If does have it great.Edited by: anaro

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Site Team

This will give you some guidelines for a PDI if you want to print it out and take it along.
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Your truck should do just fine with that trailer but I would upgrade your bars to 1400 lb bars.Â* You are looking at a tongue weight that will likely be 1100-1400 lbs depending on how heavily loaded the TT is.Â* Typically a good weight to base the WDH on is 15% of the TT GVWR.Â* In this case the TT has a GVWR of 9600 lbs.Â* 15% would be 1440 lbs.Â* Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded TT weight.Â* You want bars heavy enough to handle the TT if loaded to capacity (even though you won't likely put all 2000 lbs into the TT, it allows for the possibility).Â*
Where did you get those numbers? The sticker on the trailer certifies it at 7930lbs without water, LP and dealer options. In speaking with the dealer, there are no additional options they can add to this trailer that the factory has not outside of 50 amp service, an additional A/C or upgraded LP bottles of which I did not get any of them. In my mind, water, propane and gear should not almost double the weight.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
This will give you some guidelines for a PDI if you want to print it out and take it along.
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/
Thanks for that....looks like there is a lot of valuable info there!!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I saw a Snnset trail reserve 33bd at the Detroit/Novi show yesterday . 2 of the the set of 4 drawers on the right side as you enter the trailer were busted off their bracket and were hanging on an angle. not to impressed, but have reinforced most of mine already , so not much of a shock. the shock was pointing it out to a salesman from Generalrv,and them saying we will look at it ....went back on our way out about 4 hrs later and nothing changed...just potential customers saying that they were wondering if this is any indication of the workmanship?
maybe dealers should have an actual worker with them at shows to fix little problems, as obviously their sales crew didn't care.
on a better note , they have installed the switches for the electric leveler jacks to inside the pass thru (like I had suggested to CR earlier)thus eliminating any road salt and dirt from messing up the switches.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz
Quote:
Your truck should do just fine with that trailer but I would upgrade your bars to 1400 lb bars.Â* You are looking at a tongue weight that will likely be 1100-1400 lbs depending on how heavily loaded the TT is.Â* Typically a good weight to base the WDH on is 15% of the TT GVWR.Â* In this case the TT has a GVWR of 9600 lbs.Â* 15% would be 1440 lbs.Â* Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded TT weight.Â* You want bars heavy enough to handle the TT if loaded to capacity (even though you won't likely put all 2000 lbs into the TT, it allows for the possibility).Â*
Where did you get those numbers? The sticker on the trailer certifies it at 7930lbs without water, LP and dealer options. In speaking with the dealer, there are no additional options they can add to this trailer that the factory has not outside of 50 amp service, an additional A/C or upgraded LP bottles of which I did not get any of them. In my mind, water, propane and gear should not almost double the weight.
there should be a yellow sticker inside the door or cabinet with a weight. That weight should be with battery, LP and dealer options. That is your unloaded weight. Anything you add into that trailer will increase the weight of the trailer. This includes dishes, clothes, chairs, linens, toiletries, chocks, any tools etc. These things add up quickly, far quicker than any one thinks they really do until they weigh it. On average people tend to add approximately 1000-1500 lbs of gear and supplies into a trailer, some add more and few add less. If we go with the low average of 1000 lbs, that will make your loaded trailer weight 8930 lbs. anything you place forward of the wheels adds weight to the tongue of the trailer. For ideal balance, you want the tongue weight to be around 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight.due to size/frontal mass etc TT should run higher TW than a cargo trailer that tends to run 10-15% of loaded weight. Any lighter and you set the trailer up for a sway situation as you off load the tongue making the trailer too rear heavy. According to the crossroads website, this TT has a gvwr of 9618 lbs. It is possible to load the TT up to the max and it is recommended that your wdh bars are set for the next weight above max. I gave a little leeway knowing you probably will not be all the way to TT gvwr.

Now, looking at even the unloaded weight sticker of 7930 lbs and a low 13% that is 1030 lbs before putting any of your stuff in the trailer. Take that up to 8930 lbs and 13% is 1160 lbs (15% is 1339 lbs), keep going to higher average of adding 1500 lbs for a loaded TT weight of 9430 and a 13% tongue weight becomes 1225 lbs (15% is 1414lbs). Go all the way to TT gvwr of 9618 and 13% is 1250 lbs (15% is 1442 lbs).Undersized bars can have an adverse affect on towing. If you choose to wait until you get the TT, load it up and then go get an accurate tongue weight and an accurate loaded weight then you will be able to see where you truly land. I guarantee it will be over 1000 lb tongue weight but it might be less than 1400 lbs. I can tell you my zinger weighed 5700 lbs unloaded and weighs 7000 lbs loaded. My tongue weight is right around 1000 lbs.

Here is some reading to help you out....

wdh on etrailer

how stuff works

rv.net how wdh works

rv.net how to set up wdhEdited by: anaro

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

If I were you, I'd talk to Crossroads directly or my purchasing dealer. I think you have to take whatever you read on any forum w/ a grain of salt.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

How are you figuring he doubled the weight???
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I never said he doubled the weight. The dry tongue weight is listed as 818 lbs. That dry tongue weight does not include the weight of LP, battery or anything he will stow in the trailer. As I stated the loaded tongue weight will be a percentage of the loaded trailer weight and will be affected by how he loads the TT. Ideally the loaded tongue weight of a TT is 13-15% of the loaded tt weight. I also said it is recommended to get the bars for his wdh sized to accommodate the gvwr of the tt otherwise stated the worst case scenario of weight. that would be 15% of the tt gvwr which is listed on the website as 9618 lbs. 15% of 9618 would be 1440 lbs. Again I never said he will weigh this. I said this is how you properly size the wdh bars for the tt.I also said he could buy the tt, go weigh it loaded and then get bars sized for that weight if he preferred.Edited by: anaro

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
My wife and I are considering purchasing a Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD and I am told everyone on here is open and completely willing to call a spade a spade which is what I am looking for. My questions are

1. Would you purchase a unit from this manufacturer again?
2. Would you buy this unit again
3. What is the build quality like
4. Are there any major or minor common issues I should know about

Thanks in advance!!!!
We have the 2014 Sunset Trail 32RL which is almost the same trailer, just a different layout, the 32RL doesn't have the bunks the 33BD has bunks. We took ownership on Aug. 5th and we absolutely love it !! The only issue we have had so far is the LED strip on one of our awnings had a couple of lights burn out and it was replaced under warranty right away. We didn't rush our purchase and we looked at SEVERAL other trailers before we made our final decision. It's a very classy looking trailer and my husband is a stickler for detail and is very impressed with the quality, we're on our 4th trailer over the past 18 years so you learn the little details to look for....he has inspected pretty much every square inch of the trailer and has no complaints. My only complaint is the owners manual is a general Crossroads manual and isn't specific for our 32RL so there are a few things I had to learn from this forum because it wasn't in the manual that we have.
KimNels is offline   Reply With Quote