Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Ram 1500

Bought our st 27bh last year - now it is time to get a new tow vehicle. Like the Ram 1500 eco diesel ' unsure whicj rear dii we should get - 3.55 or the 3.92. Any suggestions - we will get the 4x4.
nanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Given the reportedly low payload available with the Ram 1500 Eco. I would get the 3.92.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Now the following is simply my opinion, and my opinion only

You will pay as much for that truck as you would on a good low mileage GM/Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison and never make the difference back in fuel.

I was watching something (or reading, I don't remember which) that stated the entire allocation was gone in first 3 days when they were offered earlier this year. People are jumping on the next new thing band wagon. It is a great idea, but typically the first year or so is when the problems show up. So they are really popular and you would have to really look around to find one. With that popularity comes the price premium and a reluctance for the dealers to deal.

According to this article on Edmunds,

Quote:
According to the window sticker, our Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 carries a base price of $45,525. Adding the EcoDiesel engine increases that by $2,850. With the standard axle ratio of 3.55 our truck has a maximum payload capacity of 1,064 pounds and a towing capacity of 7,550 pounds. For buyers who need even more towing capacity, an optional 3.92 ratio is available for $50.
http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2014...roduction.html

2 yrs ago I found my bro-in-law a 2006 3500HD extended cab Duramax 4x4 with only 10,000 garage kept miles on it. Never saw a winter, was always put away. Still has the stickers on the frame.

He paid $32,000 for it.

The 2006/2007 8th digit Vin code "D", which is the LBZ engine, has the least polution equipment and is one of the more desirable years with not much problems like the earlier and later ones have.

For the kind of money those trucks are going for, plus the new vehicle defect risk, my opinion is to find a grandpa driven truck a few years old as you can buy a heck of a nice truck for $40,000 plus on the used market.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

x2 on dr cooks comments.

I'll be interested in the real world mpg's on that truck towing and daily driving. Quite a bit on the dodge forums about issues throwing codes. Gotta work out the bugs year one.

I have a F150 ecoboost and love it...tows like a beast, but that ecodiesel looks very attractive.

Whats the max tow on the 3.92 option? the blogs i read have it peaked at #8500, but that seems really low. The ecoboost on with 3.73 is around #9800.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

What is your mpg towing and not towing? We originally looked at the F150, but like the ram's mpg.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I have purchased one first generation vehicle in my lifetime, a 2004 Nissan Armada. I will never make that mistake again.
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

As you read down through what I have to say, keep in mind that I think the Dodge, as well as the full size trucks have all gotten way too expensive. A truck like I bought in June 04, now costs more than $20,000 than what I paid for ours new. Our wages have not gone up that fast and that I think first model years are a risky venture.

but after all, IT IS YOUR MONEY and all I have to offer is my opinion and experience with our truck.

I have an 04.5 Duramax, so it does not have the improvements that model yr 06 (LBZ, vin code D) brought to the table. I believe my BIO gets around 20 highway with more aggressive treaded tires than I run.

The 06's and later have a 32 bit computer, I have a 16 bit computer, they have a 6 speed auto, mine has a 5 speed. They have different injectors, etc, so what I get MPG wise is not a good comparison.

I have gotten 19.8 hand calculated (by filling up to the neck and seeing the fuel) highway. We also get 12/13 pulling a trailer, but ours is a 30 ft Cruiser that sits kind of high in the air and gets significant air resistance, I can feel it back there. It is harder to pull than the Salem 28BH we used to have and there is only 1000 lbs difference in the base dry weight.

If you follow the link to Edmunds and do some reading on the Ram, there is a comment in there from an owner stating real world mileage.

This is kind of an honest evaluation of the truck

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...view/index.htm

pay attention to what is said about tongue weight.

our world (travel trailers) is different than towing a flat trailer with stuff on it.

Don't get me wrong, I think smaller diesel engines in different sized vehicles is the way to go. Their efficiency over a gas engine is phenomenal.

HOWEVER, what they don't tell you about is the price differential between gas and diesel both in fuel and maintenance It sure appears the market is based on BTUs. Typically here in Ohio where we live, diesel costs more than premium. Plus you have to change fuel filters, I do mine every 5000 to 7000 miles, at a price of $30.00 plus for the primary filter and $25 plus for the secondary. Diesel oil is more expensive, you don't run the same oil as a car does.

Plus you will have DEF fluid to contend with. (actually most if not all new diesel vehicles are running DEF injection for emissions)

Here is talk about that.

http://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2014...ust-fluid.html

Most modern diesels (I would assume the eco one will also) go into limp mode if you forget to add DEF fluid.

These expenses would be there whether you buy a new diesel engined vehicle or used. (just not the DEF fluid, I forget when that feature was added, the 06's/07's do not have it, nor does mine, maybe around 2010'ish)

For our purposes though, towing our trailer would be a bear with a gas engined truck.

Here is a side by side comparison of a new 1500 vs 2500 Rams, both with diesels

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...bling_rivalry/

Another interesting article, notice down in the text about the price of fuel versus return on investment

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...m-1500-diesel/

You also have to consider where most of your towing will occur. Cross country ? Flat lands -vs- mountains ? I know when I go through the mountains of W. Va and Va, I like the security a heavier duty tow vehicle provides.

Will you outgrow your trailer ? I realize you said you just got it, but like everyone else, you could upsize and then be outside the ratings of the 1500. More camping gear ? I am sure you will get more gear to put in the trailer.

It accumulates fast. Linen, cooking / eating utensils, grills, tools, etc.

Going where you have to haul water in ? All that adds up really quick.

But in the end, the decision will be yours. I just stuck my nose in to help relate what I have learned over the last 10 yrs of towing with a diesel and 25 years of pulling heavy metal gooseneck horse trailers and lighter bumper pull horse trailers.

I have a 1991 454 engined K2500 I am restoring, it got only 7 miles to the gallon towing, our diesel doubles that so I completely understand the concerns about better mileage.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanimal View Post
What is your mpg towing and not towing? We originally looked at the F150, but like the ram's mpg.
Thanks
Real world, With 5 passengers, a dog, and full load I average 10-11. Sometimes I see 12-13, but that's on a weekend trip, no kids and not hauling everything.

The real benefit is my daily commute. I get in the low twenties if i miss traffic and stay in the slow lane.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Team

--Real world, on an interstate trip 18-21 mpg. , up and down our mountain into town 12-14 mpg. Towing the 5th wheel 9.5-10.5 mpg.
Can't justify an eco diesel with having to pay extra for diesel fuel (around here about 55 cents extra per gallon) compared to my regular gas ecoboost Ford. Plus the poor numbers on towing ability on the dodge just does not cut it.

Both 4x4 crewcab:

Dodge eco diesel max towing 8750 lbs Ford Ecoboost 11,100 lbs

Dodge eco diesel max weigh 1234 lbs Ford Ecoboost 2310 lbs

Those stats for the dodge do not impress me at all.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for your posts. Looks like we are going to keep our current van. As many of you said, we can't justify the cost of a newer tow v when ours just needs a little work, tows great, only 13000 miles and we like all of the dry storage in the van. A 1997 Ram 2500 conversion with long wheel base.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanimal View Post
Thanks everyone for your posts. Looks like we are going to keep our current van. As many of you said, we can't justify the cost of a newer tow v when ours just needs a little work, tows great, only 13000 miles and we like all of the dry storage in the van. A 1997 Ram 2500 conversion with long wheel base.

Good move...but I can honestly say I've never seen a van pulling a trailer. That is brilliant. So you effectively have the towing capacity of a 3/4 ton?

Anyways, I didnt want to be accused of being a Ford fanboy, but I really don't see the attraction with the Dodge eco-diesel. payload and towing just doesnt compare to the ecoboost and diesel runs about $.70 more a gallon here anyways. I welcome comments on this.

I am brand agnostic. Based on all the pointers I've gotten through the years towing If I had my way, I'd have truck that looks like a cross between the ford and Toyota, the GM Allison tranny, and Dodge Cummins diesel

Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I too bought a used truck when we decided to buy our 5th wheel. It had low mileage, no salt issues, and very clean. Bought at 60 cents on the dollar.

Mine doesn't have a particulate filter nor needs DEF. I get 19 mpg empty, 15 pulling our boat, 10-11 with the trailer.

I remember DEF was necessary on the 2008 Fords and GM trucks, but not until 2012 with the Dodge Cummins here in Cal.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Ken
Weekend Camper

Actually the Dodge didn't start until 2013, I purchased a brand new 2012 earlier this year and it does not need the DEF.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Anyways, I didnt want to be accused of being a Ford fanboy, but I really don't see the attraction with the Dodge eco-diesel. payload and towing just doesnt compare to the ecoboost and diesel runs about $.70 more a gallon here anyways. I welcome comments on this.
I 100% agree. It is a step in the right decision, but right now, at the price premium, for what you are getting, it is not a good decision.

It is like buying a Prius, or other dual electric/gas vehicle. Sure you get better mileage, but unless you are a person that money does not matter to, buying one is simply "a statement", as it takes too long to get a return on dollar spent, and the trade-offs are not worthwhile.

If I had known then, what I know now, we would have bought the 8.1 liter gas engine 2500HD with Allison transmission instead of our diesel. We did buy ours right, $10,000 less than sticker new ($32) but I have had to put $3 or $4 thou into it correcting the overheat issue.

Even though it was not a 1st year model, it turned out it was a 1st year motor. GM switched their technology and the 04.5 and 05 model yrs Chevy and GMC Duramax trucks had heat issues.

I have installed an extra radiator behind the bumper, changed the turbo mouthpiece, changed to a freer flowing intercooler to help it breath, put in a bigger transmission cooler and a higher amp alternator to power the extra fan I am wiring in for the auxilliary radiator.

We are still 1000's below the what the truck would have cost, but still.......

Right now GM is having issues with their fuel pumps exploding on the diesels. They changed from what is called a CP3 pump to a CP4 pump and folks are having catastrophic failures and VERY VERY expensive repair bills. The pumps explode and fill the fuel rails and injectors full of metal bits, necessitating complete replacement.

This ties back to the discussion that was going on about additives.

The best truck (in my opinion) is the 06/07 LBZ Duramaxes.

After that I agree, a combination of the Cummins engine, Allison trans (the 6 speed one that came out in 06 or later) and a Ford body would really make one sweet ride, especially if it was a King Ranch. I really like that leather trim package look.