Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Crossroads Owners Liaison

CrossRoads Web Site

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on updating the CrossRoads Web site and would love your help. I would like to have a page for someone who has just purchased their CrossRoads unit and is getting ready to pick it up from the dealership. We want to make sure they are getting a good walk through with their new unit. They might be new to camping or new to the CrossRoads family and might not know what to ask or look for on their unit. We would like to put together a list of items for them to print and take to the dealership and make sure they are getting the information they need and all their questions answered.
This is where I need your help. What should be on that list? What would have helped you as a first time buyer?
You can either reply here or send me an email at kfuller@crossroadsrv.com

Thank you in advance for all your help!!
Fuller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Kathy
Thanks for the post. We really look forward to having a CR contact.
Here is a link I try to give all new buyers/owners. Maybe it has something you would care to incorporate.
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

One main question I would ask if I bought another new CR (or any product) is "Has this unit passed all quality inspections BEFORE it left the factory?. Alot of little problems with mine should have never been allowed to pass. Here was one that a walkthru would not catch unless you had 2 or more taps running at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kinked water inlet from tank 002.jpg (232.9 KB, 20 views)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

here are some really good checklist
http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide..._checklist.php

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

When I got mine they went over it with me and never hooked up the City water line. Just told me How it works. First trip the inside line was not hooked up right and water all through the camper. I fixed it and took it back after the trip but was a pain. So I say check all water lines in side and Out including the winter syphon hose.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Winterizing seemed be be a big topic in early fall.
I wasn't too familiar withy myself, and the dealer didn't even mention it, I guess since we live in south Texas.

The other thing I'd mention for newbies is all the extras you need that aren't provided. Ie chocks. Sewage hose, leveling blocks, 90 hose adapter, water filter, dog bones, power adapters, & a good torque wrench and tire gauge to name a few. That stuff adds up quick.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

One thing that should be on a check list is explaining the winterizing and opening the access panels to the water heater bypass valves.

The locations and operation of the bypass valves are very important and never really discussed during the walk thru. The guy that gave me my walk thru said the water heater was gas and electric. I know it was only propane, so I asked him how to turn on the electric element. He could not find the switch.

i
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Hi. This is a great thing you are planning for newbies. I think mentioning wdh and proper towing setups with maybe an online towing calculator to help potential owners match a trailer to their tow vehicle. Nothing worse than buying a trailer and learning you bought too much trailer for your truck.

As far as pdi goes. Recommend they videotape their pdi for later reference. That was extremely helpful to us as you learn so much at one time it is hard to remember it all. I generally recommend having everything demonstrated and you return the demo. This means if it opens, closes, or turns on or off, if should be demonstrated. I always recommend checking the caulking. One thing g I learned the hard way was to boil a cup of water in the microwave before leaving the lot. My current unit had a nonfunctional microwave upon purchase. We have even made the dealership show us how to properly hitch and unhitch our old tt/ reese dual cam wdh. We did th d same thing with the new fiver and reese hitch.

Definitely making a list of recommended necessities such as a water pressure regulator, surge protector, sewer hoses, fresh water hoses, chocks, leveling pads etc. The winterization checklist is a great idea.

Another recommendation is an updated list of contacts that owners can utilize if they are having troubles with their unit. This is very helpful to those who are having troubles getting dealerships to fix their problems.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Site Team

All good points from everybody.
A suggestion----------lets try to not be repetitious in posting. We don't need to load this up for her with a ton of the same info to go thru
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Please talk about slide seal maintence. When, how, and which products to use. I did a walk thru yesterday with the service tech at our dealership, Suni, is in for warranty work and I had to ask him about the maintence routine it was never mentioned in the pdi.

The Duncans
2015 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
One thing that should be on a check list is explaining the winterizing and opening the access panels to the water heater bypass valves.

The locations and operation of the bypass valves are very important and never really discussed during the walk thru. The guy that gave me my walk thru said the water heater was gas and electric. I know it was only propane, so I asked him how to turn on the electric element. He could not find the switch.

i
We had this issue when we picked up our camper. It was never covered and I had to call the dealer when I wasn't getting hot water. A unit specific guide would be fantastic. I would also love a more detailed owners guide for the specific unit. This could be a pdf file on your website but that would help immensely.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Check out the frequently asked questions section on the palomino rv website. They have some very helpful info in there, everything from electrical questions to maintenance and frequently seen easily solved issues. Also check out the beginners section and the glossary section on the forest river rv site. Good stuff in there too.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

All very good input. I would say it would be helpful to explain some of the RV lingo and termonology they will encounter from the dealer and in the PDI. Some people will not ask a question if the do not know the meaning of a term.
A small glossary of terms would be helpful.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

This would be great. Just purchased yesterday 290QB, moved up from a popup.

The sales person that did the deployment did not know the product. Being new to the TT I do not know what to ask finding stuff out as I go through stuff and read. Some of the questions I asked he flat out lied when the tech from service was going over the hitch with me I asked him and he gave some better answers.

He did not even know what all the switches did or were some things were located. He was a nice person to give him credit for that.

Looking forward to getting out there and using it.
jsd493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #15
New Camper

I would suggest all dealers take more time with the walk thru. We were new to rv life, and the walk thru was so quick that we didn't know what to ask or look for until we actually started camping. I got most of my questions answered on forums such as this.
catmck is offline   Reply With Quote