Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
New Camper

We are considering buying a Cruiser CT26RK or Sunset TrailST26RK, sincethat floor planseems to have almost everything we are looking for in a TT (larger kitchen, 60x80 bed,separate bath, under 30' total length, 6000 lbs or less dry weight). Weare a little concerned though with some of the things we have heard about items (dishes, etc) stored in rear kitchens breaking or getting jumbled around while traveling due to bounce in the rear of the trailer. Could any of you rear kitchen owners provide us with some of your experiences, and insight, to help us make a decision. Also, do any of you think it wouldmake entry into the bathroom, while the slide is in, easier if the bathroom door was hinged on the other side (opened the other direction) on this model?

Being new to this, I'm not sureif posting the same question in multiple product line forums is viewed as improper etiquette or not (I'm sure I will get some quick friendly advice if it is frowned upon) but I thought I might not reach both Cruiser and Sunset Trail owners with a question about a floor plan you can get in both lines if I didn't. I apologize in advance if this is a breech of etiquette, and welcome any posting rules/advice members may provide me.
Rescue Cpt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We've had our 29Rk for two years now, the only thing that ever broke was a Wine glass (I dropped it )!! Get yourself some of the rubber matting & line the selves with it (We use it) every thing stays in it's place. On the other point: We have NO problem using the bathroom with the slide in (the door swings out & is a left hand swing).

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Kilbrider and myself each have the ST26RK. I've posted several times about what goes on at the back of the trailer. It is not a good place for a kitchen because of the movement that occurs when the trailer moves over any kind of object in the road. However, it was not a deal breaker for us because we like the layout. That said, I would strongly recomment the EquiFlex suspension. I believe it can be ordered from the factory. I bought mine and installed it myself. It really does help. Then it's just a matter of using unbreakable dishware and making sure everything is secured before hitting the road.

Kilbrider has bent his bumper from what I believe is the action of the spare tire on its bracket twisting against the bumper. We have both given up the idea of bike racks on the back bumper and I am even thinking of relocating my spare tire. The spare also gets a little in the way of the outdoor shower on the back anyway.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q
Kilbrider has bent his bumper from what I believe is the action of the spare tire on its bracket twisting against the bumper. .

Actually, I didn't have a problem with the bumper until I added the bike rack. You are correct though that I have since given up on carrying the bikes back there.

To answer the original question, we don't have too many problems with the dishes moving around back there. I did have an emergency stop situation the first year I owned it, and lost some dished when the cabinet doors opened. Since then I just string a bungee cord through the handles of the top cabinets when travelling. On arrival we may have a couple of glasses moved around or toppled, but nothing serious. I do use non breakable dishes wherever possible.

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

2009 Ford F150 SCREW, 4X4,5.4L, Max Tow pkgw/

Factory Brake Control,Reese Weight Distribution,Dual Cam Sway control

kilbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Does the Sunset Trail have a Equa-Flex option? On the Cruiser it reduces bounce and vibration significantly.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I don't know how well the Equi-flex works, but stock leaf spring on RVs can be bouncy and cause problems with rear kitchen layouts. Rubbber torsion axles give a smoother ride since they are independant suspension. That's what I owned in the past, even an RK model w/o problems. When I got my Cruiser in '04, I couldn't stand the harsh ride that it transmitted to the truck and I did experience some breakage. So, I had the leaf springs replaced with the Mor/ryde IS system and it solved the problems. Get the best suspension offered, it will make the trailer and tow vehicle last longer and reduce fatigue and stress on the occupants. All of my experience is with 5th wheels, so I'm not sure how TT's behave with the different suspension types.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote