Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Just noticed my fresh water tank is sagging down and has bent two channel iron supports that are supposed to hold the middle of the tank. My 5th wheel is a CF29CK 2006 model. I suppose traveling the rough Interstates with too much water in the tank is more than the channel iron could support. Has anyone had similar problem with their tanks? Will it fall completely out??
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

This was a was a big issue back then. My 07 was the same way. A lot of us pulled the membrane down, added a few new cross pieces and thicker plywood. I personally added 5/8" plywood and 3 new "C" channel braces (home depot) and drilled then bolted the braces to the frame. no sag when full and I feel much more comfortable driving down the road knowing it is not going to fall out.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

On older models like my '04, they just used flat steel straps and over time the plywood would bow and the straps would come loose. I had to replace the bowed plywood. Also replaced the three straps with 3/4" square steel tubing screwed into the cross members. But I used like 6 or 7 on roughly 16" centers rather than just 3. All of this was above the bottom of the I-beams and completely covered by the black membrane.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Yup, same thing with my '04. One of myangle ironsthat the tank set on was not plum when it was installed and the tank was barely hanging on so I corrected that then added 3/4" marine grade plywood for the tank to set on. Then I re-installed the metal straps just for a safety catch just in case. I don't travel very far from home so this has worked well over the years. If you are travelling I would do as others have and install some tubing under the plywood just to make sure the tank isn't going to fall out while running down the interstate. There have been some posts where the water tank actually fell out.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

With the Interstate system in the shape it's in I will definitely put larger c-channel under there. This stuff looks like 2 inch channel and it's about 1/8 thick. It nees to be at least 3/16 iron. 1/8 sure does not hold much weight. You can bend stock this thin with your foot.

Other than this I have had no structural issues so far. Of course I did have an alignment issue with one of the axles and thus tire wear after only 600 miles.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote