Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Has anyone installed a Porta Bote on their Cruiser? We have a new 10' boat that we want to take camping with us.

I've seen them mounted on the side of the trailer but I'm not crazy about that. I've heard of them being stored under the trailer with some sort of home made bracket but I'm not sure how you would attach them. I've also seen them attached to the ladder in the back but then you'd have to take off the boat every time you needed to get on the roof.

Our pickup has an 8' bed with a tool trunk in the front so that's not long enough.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Ken, I've seen PUs pulling 5ers with a rack that fastens on the box--goes up over the cab and I don't know how far it extends out in the front. They were hauling a small boat up there. Also have seen other rigs with similar rack hauling other toys.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Did you check with the dealer you got the bote from?On a message board i was on 3-4 months ago said the dealer had plans on how to attached to the bottom of fifth wheel & sent them to him.Also if you google Dan's 5th wheel mods & ideas,5th wheel portabote enclosure there's directions but must be old site pictures do not show up.I know quite a few used tension straps & a sheet of alumsiding to protect the bottom of the bote.Good luck
Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have a 12' portabote that I carry under my Cruiser. I'll attempt to post pics.
I used the carry rack from Portabote (the 2 metal braces intended to sling the bote on the side of the RV), and added a roller mid way between the racks (makes it way easier to load/unload). Hopefully you can see it in the pics.
I also built a box to carry the seats, transom, life jackets, etc, etc. I used a bed frame for the angle iron, sheet metal from air conditioner ducts, riveted on, with a lockable door on the side. Again, hopefully you can see from the pics, what I did.Iused longer pieces of the angle in 4 places, so it would bolt to the frame of the RV.
Since these pics, I also made a cover for the bote, from 1000 denier Cordura, to keep the road grime off. I'm trying to figure out something better for that, but it works, for now.
So far, I have several thousand miles, and several unload/load cycles, and all is good.
Let me know if I can give you any more info on my install.
Cliff

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r304/cliffw42/RV%20misc/Porta-Bote%20on%20RV/

This url SHOULD take you to the pics.
cliffw42 is offline   Reply With Quote