Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #61
New Camper

Paint Fade

I have paint fade on our SlingShot. It got real bad so I tried everything made for gelcoat cleaners, oxidation removers, waxes nothing help so I called Crossroads. They asked me to take it to the dealer but there no longer a dealer. I found out that Crossroads doesn't make the SlingShot brand anymore. I'am working Lynn Duggins and just waiting for a response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SlingShit paint 032.jpg (207.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SlingShit paint 042.jpg (201.4 KB, 10 views)
1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #62
Full Time Camper

What year is your TT? Good luck.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #63
Weekend Camper

so far so good

I have read alot of reviews on rejex. I use this on my unit I currently do not have fading. Unit is a little over a year old at my house. Don't know how long it was at dealer prior to my purchase. I use rejex on gel coat and 303 on decals.
Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #64
Site Team

I use rejex, great protection. Has a uv ray blocker in it. That's what destroys the paint and gel coat.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #65
New Camper

My 2012 is affected.....

How long is the warranty good for this? I don't have my documents with me and I am booking it in for some random stuff.

I purchased it March 2013. I'd love it if they painted it the same colour as the current ST Reserves. That dark brown gets hella hot.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #66
Family Vacation Member

I just came back from a 3000km trip through Alberta and British Columbia. I saw allot of Sunset Trail RV's in the campgrounds and on the highway. In the 2 weeks away I counted at least 6 Sunset Trail RV's with extreme front cap fading....This seems to be an epidemic, it is also unacceptable even with 2 coats of UV protection gloss and polish a year I am now too noticing fading on very upper part of front cap near the roof line.

No doubt wrong paint and sealant was used from factory. If this was a car manufacture they would be forced into a recall,,,,,,You only see everyone fighting with CR to have this dealt with little if any success....

Embarrassing to see trailers you have manufactured all over North America that are a couple years old with paint fading like they are 30 years old that sat out in the sun...Wouldn't you think CR??? Or maybe not.........

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #67
Site Team

Here is a fairly inexpensive remedy: http://www.prestoprotech.com/Boat_Care.html
A cheaper solution for those who don't want to spend $$$ on a paint job.
BUT, it is a shame that these caps are causing so much problems and expense. I would take pictures, email to Crossroads, (Lynn Duggins) lduggins@crossroadsrv.com follow up with a phone call to Lynn and ask Crossroads to repaint the cap for you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #68
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Here is a fairly inexpensive remedy: http://www.prestoprotech.com/Boat_Care.html
A cheaper solution for those who don't want to spend $$$ on a paint job.
BUT, it is a shame that these caps are causing so much problems and expense. I would take pictures, email to Crossroads, (Lynn Duggins) lduggins@crossroadsrv.com follow up with a phone call to Lynn and ask Crossroads to repaint the cap for you.

2x on working with Lynn. He took care of us on about 30 hours of repair work under warranty. Only issue might be your not all that close to Topeka, so hopefully you don't need to take the trailer back to the Cross Roads Corporate.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #69
Weekend Camper

Just had our 2013 32RL cap painted under warranty. No problem getting Crossroads to pick up the tab. I provided the pictures and the dealer did all of the leg work. It is an industry epidemic. Told by the dealer there are only two vendors who provide the caps and the color isn't the issue it was all about the process or lack of. Brown's, grey's and white caps are fading on all models it's just the darker colors are easier to identify. Hopefully it was a 2012 and 2013 issue and the process as since changed.
kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #70
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bajaboy View Post
I have paint fade on our SlingShot. It got real bad so I tried everything made for gelcoat cleaners, oxidation removers, waxes nothing help so I called Crossroads. They asked me to take it to the dealer but there no longer a dealer. I found out that Crossroads doesn't make the SlingShot brand anymore. I'am working Lynn Duggins and just waiting for a response.

There are a ton of boat fiberglass refurbish products on the market. When I look at the photos, it looks like the discoloration is in the gel coat, not the layer underneath where the colorant is. Can you confirm?

Also, this may sound silly, but try to dab a small area with some floor wax. Just throwing out some ideas..

Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #71
Site Team

Unless they have changed the way they do things, the pigment/color is mixed with the gel coat.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #72
Family Vacation Member

I have solved my front cap fading problem permanently ... yesterday we closed a deal on a 2014 Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3008W. Should have it in a week or so.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHoffman View Post
I have solved my front cap fading problem permanently ... yesterday we closed a deal on a 2014 Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3008W. Should have it in a week or so.
Now what ever possessed you to do a thing like that?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #74
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Now what ever possessed you to do a thing like that?
In early August we spent 8 consecutive day camping at our local county fair and realized there were several areas we were not going to be happy with for our plans to use it traveling a month or two at a time. Bed size and lack of clothes storage, bathroom with limited room to function and no linen storage and lack of kitchen storage and counter space. We spent much time evaluating floor plans and decided the 3008W addressed all our concerns plus added some great new features. Fireplace and Lazy Boy recliners two examples.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #75
Weekend Camper

We have a 2013 Sunset Trail 32RL (TT) Out of the one year warrentey. Our front cap is also fading badley. Today I just called Crossroads to see if they could recommend anything for me to try and get the shine back. I gave them the last 7 digets of our units VIN number. and low and behold they are going to pay for my cap to be re-painted.They are extending the front caps warrenty an extra year. People on hear may talk bad about the Crossroad company, but I have to say this is awesome of them to do this. There are not a lot of companys out there now a days that would own up to this. Our dealer is going to get us in at the end of our season and re-paint it for FREE. I want to thank Crossroads and Fretz RV. Both have been so great to us.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #76
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelrs59 View Post
We have a 2013 Sunset Trail 32RL (TT) Out of the one year warrentey. Our front cap is also fading badley. Today I just called Crossroads to see if they could recommend anything for me to try and get the shine back. I gave them the last 7 digets of our units VIN number. and low and behold they are going to pay for my cap to be re-painted.They are extending the front caps warrenty an extra year. People on hear may talk bad about the Crossroad company, but I have to say this is awesome of them to do this. There are not a lot of companys out there now a days that would own up to this. Our dealer is going to get us in at the end of our season and re-paint it for FREE. I want to thank Crossroads and Fretz RV. Both have been so great to us.

stelrs59,

Good to hear. Do you recall which customer service rep you talked with?

Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #77
Full Time Camper

Great news. Mine is being repainted this winter. Also free of charge.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #78
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
stelrs59,

Good to hear. Do you recall which customer service rep you talked with?
Bill Hodges, he was great!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #79
Full Time Camper

Kudos to Bill,

Thanks for the post.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #80
Full Time Camper

Thanks Cross Roads and Bill