Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
New Camper

I am currently looking to be a first time TT owner, been looking at several models, my issue is, I want about a 26-28ft TT, but most other brands exceed my TV max tow weight, which is only 5100lbs. I have an 09 Avalanche, still like new, getting a new TV is out, love my "not quite a truck but not an SUV either" vehicle. I ran across the GT27RB and the GT29BH, beautiful units, reasonably priced, and weighing right at 4000lbs, can anyone give me first hand experience with the Sling Shot line up? I also looked at the CruiserRV Funfactor 244RKS which is the same floor plan as the GT27RB and also considering the Passport Ultra Lite 245RB... Any advice would sure help, like I stated, love camping, never in a TT, got caught in Bristol in a tent, if any of you went to the race and camped, you know about the storm that hit about 3am, please, any advice, positive or negative will be appreciated.
mjray1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Keep in mind the tow rating for the truck is MAX ALLOWABLE and includes, trailer, hitch, water, camping gear, food etc. Also, stated weights for towables are often underestimated. You will need to ensure you don't go over your max weight. 4K pounds is probably at your max and may be over when everything is loaded for a trip.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We went with the GT26RL Slingshot, with a shipped from factory weight of 3650lbs. I tow with a Buick Enclave 3.6 Direct Inj V6. Factory tow package rated at 4500lbs, and I added a weight distribution hitch. Tows nicely on the flats, works some on extended grades. Haven't tried mountains yet.

martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the inputs, already verified, I can pull it as long as I dont load it down, Only me and my wife so we arent gonna need alot, just looking for some first hand experience on the Slingshots, looked at many other from Salem which is $10,000 cheaper to the Fun Factor which is a little more money and the Passports. I'm especially curios about the fiberglass roof vice the luan/rubber set up.
mjray1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
New Camper

We were in your shoes in July and now first time TTowner...

Fell in love with a Slingshot upfront then looked at a number of other units(had deposit on another brand)but many were just too close to TV max tow weight (including Keystone Passport/Bullet). The 16" on center aluminum frame and azdel panels were appealing...family loved the interior...Came all away back around to one of the first units thatwe really really like which was a 2011 GT29BH at 4136lbs.

Towing with Ford Expedition that has amax tow of 6100lbs. We estimated the trailer, it's cargo, TV cargo/people, and targeted being greater than 1000lbs under gross combined weight. The GT29BH fit the formula...and we always travel light.

Our Slingshot was ordered new from factory, delivered well, but longest weekend in it coming soon so I don't have a lot of the first hand experience yet (just 3 fingers on one hand so far ).

Just added a new Blue Ox Swaypro hitch this past weekend (new version).

hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

And this interloper thinks we'll look when he comes here and invades our board? Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

well got the interloper reported hopefully they will remove him.We dont have any experience with the slingshot but I hope you will be happy with your decision I just hopped in to report the Spammer trying to steal your post good luck
Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

They should remove post, not just not allow them to post.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Gone and forgotten!

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote