Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello all! My name is Steven and I've been looking at tons of 5th wheels for family camping. I am here for more information about Crossroads products specifically the Longhorn and Hill Country models offered here in Texas. Looking for any information you all have to offer about them.

I have configured my 2500 HD with Firestones Ride Rite air leveling kit, a B&W turnover ball, and plan to purchase a B&W Compainion Slider once we decide on the 5th wheel. We would like to finalize our purchase this Spring.
ATP EFI Live, Edge CTS Insight, S&B CAI, PPE boost valve, Pro Fab AIH, AirDog II 165, Mike L built trans, ML-G converter, Allison deep pan, HD trans cooler, Nicktane CAT adapter, 5" straight pipe, Firestone Ride Rite, Cognito braces & HD tie rods, H2's, 305/70-17 Nitto TG's, B&W Turnoverball, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

2015 Crossroads Longhorn Rezerve LFZ36DB
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to our forum and good luck on your search. The only one that I know that has a Longhorn on here is FireRob, maybe try to PM him he will prolly have some insight for you. I think the Longhorn is a spin off of the Zinger, but I could be wrong.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hello and welcome..... linebacker I thought the hill country was the zinger off shoot? Either way, I think one is a sunset trail off shoot and the other is the zinger off shoot. Both are specific to Texas so you will not likely see a lot of info on them. I can tell you i used to have a zinger tt. We owned it for 3 yrs. It was a very good trailer. We had a few issues that were resolved under warranty. We sold it because we wanted a fiver and a rear entertainment floor plan instead of bunks.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
Old 12-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Hello and welcome..... linebacker
Aileen
Were you watching football with Anthony when you wrote this. You need to S L O W D O W N to at least a 1000 MPH.. Either that or I am obviously missing something... If that IS the case I would like to welcome LINEBACKER to the forum as well....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Ken
Weekend Camper

I assume you are looking at the Longhorn Reserve LF31BH? This is basically the same floor plan as my trailer but in a 5th wheel version. I purchased mine last September 2013 at Explore Rv in Canton. We did a lot of research before we purchased ours and couldn't have been happier. We had a few warranty issues that got resolved very timely. The dealer was really good to work with if there is any specific info you would like to know just ask.
Ken

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Old 12-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the warm welcomes. The models we have been looking at are the Longhorn Rezerve LFZ31BH (Length 34'11", Hitch Weight 1,536 lbs, Dry Weight 8,366 lbs, Cargo Weight 3,340) and the Hill Country HCF34BH (Length 36'0", Hitch Weight 1,748 lbs, Dry Weight 9076 lbs, Cargo Weight 2,832 lbs). We really like the standard features of the Hill Country and overall layout, but the Longhorn is looking pretty good also. Honestly, if we could get that large u-shaped dinette from the Longhorn into the Hill Country I believe I could sway the wife. She is adamant about that!
ATP EFI Live, Edge CTS Insight, S&B CAI, PPE boost valve, Pro Fab AIH, AirDog II 165, Mike L built trans, ML-G converter, Allison deep pan, HD trans cooler, Nicktane CAT adapter, 5" straight pipe, Firestone Ride Rite, Cognito braces & HD tie rods, H2's, 305/70-17 Nitto TG's, B&W Turnoverball, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Ken
Weekend Camper

My wife was the same way, but the u shape dinette gives you a lot of extra storage. Accross the whole back of the dinette if you lift up the cushions there is a huge storage compartment. We didn't even realize it was there until our first camping trip. Another nice thing that I liked is on my trailer as well as the Longhorn you are looking at the TV from the main room flips around to the bedroom so if you hook up a satelite you can watch it in the bedroom when you go to bed. Also to full outdoor kitchen is pretty nice. We have a portable ice maker that we keep out there and a blender, my wife make Her frozen drinks in the summer. Having an outdoor bathroom door is also a feature my wife really wanted. It does keep the kids from going in and out of the trailer all day just to use the restroom.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

The Longhorn really does suit our family well. You pointed out a few features I was actually missing Ken, not sure how but I didn't remember that exterior door to access the bathroom from outside and had to pull out the floor plan to double check!

How are you and your family liking yours, and how's the overall construction of the trailer?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
Ken
Weekend Camper

We used it a ton this year and it really has held up just fine. We camp 50% of the time with 4 adults 1 17 year old boy and a 7th month old baby. The trailer gives us plenty of room, we liked the Longhorn interior but we ended up just going with the Zinger (that's what a Longhorn is). We had a few minor problems this year our microwave went out and some of the wallboards came a little loose due to the staples went to far in but everything was fixed. If I was to do it al over again I would get the same trailer. There are times I wish I had the 5th wheel version but I will tell you it is nice to have the full use of your truck bed.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Aileen
Were you watching football with Anthony when you wrote this. You need to S L O W D O W N to at least a 1000 MPH.. Either that or I am obviously missing something... If that IS the case I would like to welcome LINEBACKER to the forum as well....
Auto correct is not my friend. That was supposed to be longhauler. Grrr.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Auto correct is not my friend. That was supposed to be longhauler. Grrr.
I thought that was probably the case but I had to tease you about it... the devil made me do it.

Sorry for the slight Hi Jack
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
Old 12-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

We also have the 2015 ZT31SB and so far so good. I like the room and layout it will be good for kids with grandkids this summer. Kids have their own private place to go and watch TV or a movie and we have our place. Like a small house. lol I agree with Ken then I have the full bed of my truck to haul my kayaks and other gear.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the forums 1978Steven.
We too are here in TX and shopped a long time for a Longhorn TT, ended up with a Hill Country only because there were no more '14 Longhorn 33BHS remaining anywhere in the state and we got, what we considered a great deal... Nearly 38% off MSRP. Which by the way was nearly $0000 less than the show pricing
The Hill Country comes with a bunch of standard items that are optional on the Longhorn. Electric stabilizers, electric youngest jack, fiberglass sides, 8 cf fridge, and dual AC units with 50 amp service.
Also, keep in mind here in TX, you'll need the 2nd AC unit, whether you think you will or not.
One thing the Longhorn did have that the Hill Country didn't was larger tanks. But after 1 season under our belts, that hasn't been a problem since we only dry camped once for 1 night.
Show season is right around the corner and prices will start to drop again in March-April time as the 2016s start hitting the market.
Don't waiver on what you and the family want. ExploreUSA dealers can get any model from any dealer and they will match the prices of the others too.
Good luck and welcome.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
Old 12-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for the great advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Welcome to the forums 1978Steven.
We too are here in TX and shopped a long time for a Longhorn TT, ended up with a Hill Country only because there were no more '14 Longhorn 33BHS remaining anywhere in the state and we got, what we considered a great deal... Nearly 38% off MSRP. Which by the way was nearly $0000 less than the show pricing
The Hill Country comes with a bunch of standard items that are optional on the Longhorn. Electric stabilizers, electric youngest jack, fiberglass sides, 8 cf fridge, and dual AC units with 50 amp service.
Also, keep in mind here in TX, you'll need the 2nd AC unit, whether you think you will or not.
One thing the Longhorn did have that the Hill Country didn't was larger tanks. But after 1 season under our belts, that hasn't been a problem since we only dry camped once for 1 night.
Show season is right around the corner and prices will start to drop again in March-April time as the 2016s start hitting the market.
Don't waiver on what you and the family want. ExploreUSA dealers can get any model from any dealer and they will match the prices of the others too.
Good luck and welcome.
We have noticed the Hill Country has a good deal more standard options over the Longhorn. We are pretty much sold on the Longhorn as it's the layout we really like, but we are looking at one with alot of the addons you spoke of (electric stabilizers, wired for dual a/c's, 2nd a/c, and larger fridge). Thank you for sharing the information on when the new models start hitting the lots, that was a question I should have asked but didn't think about it. We would like to make our purchase in the Spring anyway so it looks like we may catch a good deal on a 2015 if we play our cards right.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

We went by the Fort Worth Explorer USA today while we were out finishing up some Christmas shopping. While there we walked thru a Longhorn Rezerve 36DB, we really liked it and now we are torn between the 31BH and 36DB.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Sit in them with the doors closed and imagine your usage. Think about where you will put things, i.e. moms clothes in that closet, dishes in this cabinet, kids toys in that drawer etc. Act out daily activities like mom cooking, kids playing, dad walking to the bathroom. Climb in shower and sit on commode to make sure they are a comfortable fit (some can be a tight squeeze height or width). Which one fits your needs better? What about tank size? I'm assuming with the 2500 TV, both are fine weight wise. What about price? These are the details that will help you narrow it down.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Aileen, is that with or without reading material??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Old 12-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Question

We did just that today with the 36DB, the problem is they didn't have a 31BH so it was hard to compare off of our memory of it. I can say the 36DB overall is much bigger then the 31BH, you don't get an outdoor kitchen in the 36DB but you get a second rest room. The rear bunk area is huge, 2 slides with upper bunks, lower futon type couch/beds, and trundle beds stowed under the futons on each side. Enough space in the rear for 6 people to sleep, if we ever needed that much, and tons of storage in each area. Price seems to be where we like to be for new unit, not an official quote but salesman said upper $00k. Problem was they didn't seem to know much about it specs wise, weights and such. They said its a new floor plan and didn't even have any manufacturer brochure for it. I'm sure my 2500 will handle it in the towing department, but I am not 100% sure it would be legal behind a 2500?

I believe its the same as the RFZ36DB http://www.crossroadsrv.com/rezerve/...s/item/rfz36db

Dry Weight: 10666
GVWR: 13838
Carrying Capacity: 3172
Hitch Weight: 1838
Axle Weight: 8828
Exterior Length: 39' 11"
Exterior Height (with A/C):12' 7"
Fresh Water: 54
Black Water: 80
Gray / Galley Water: 80
Tire Size: 235/80R16E

What are you all's thoughts?

Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
Ken
Weekend Camper

I will tell you that I thought my kids would spend a lot more time in the bunkhouse Watching tv or just hanging out but they didn't. On the other hand I used the outdoor kitchen every trip, we move the tv from the bunkhouse out to watch sports and we keep a blender and an ice maker out there and make margaritas and daiquiris all summer. The refrigerator would be hard to give up once you have had one. Just something to consider we spend a lot of time outside when camping not inside. Also what engine do you have in your truck that one trailer sounds like it's getting pretty heavy.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Aileen, is that with or without reading material??

Haha you know some have no leg room or no shoulder room. My zinger had no room between the toilet and tub, very difficult for longer legged people and very difficult to fit a parent and child in there to assist the little one with tolerating or bathing.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Closed Thread