Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Thumbs up Crossroads Service

We bought a new 330SS Sahara 5th wheel in 2012, took it to Florida for 3 months and some issues that needed fixed. Took it to my dealership they cleared with CR and repairs made. Took again to Florida and had a major roof leak around the skylight above the shower plus water damage to the rear wall. Poor caulking in both cases, I patched it up with Dicor tape and caulk. Called CR to let them know what was going on, they replied to take it to my dealer when we got home. They wanted pictures e-mailed to them which I did, told my dealer they would cover the repairs and again repairs were made. As I went to pull the 5ver home, I was asked to look at my cap on the front. It was faded almost white, warranty about up 2+5. Took it home and called CR again, send us pictures they said, I did and they agreed to repaint it. Called my dealership and got no answer, guess who went out of business? Called CR explained the problem and they on they're own found another dealer who agreed to paint it. Picked it up and looks great, I think they went the extra mile for us.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Site Team

WOW! Good story harleyb.
To bad we can't hear more just like it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Harleyb, I am glad to here what CR did for u. Mine is currently back at dealer for 5th time in one year 3 times for water leaks. Sunset trail 27 bth. I hope they are as good with me as they were with U
wayne bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I've also had good experiences with them. But I've said it before having a good dealership helps.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

That's good to hear, harleyb. I think most of the negative posts about CR customer service are due to bad dealers rather than CR itself. RVs, industry wide, are slapped together and shoved out the door in the name of profit. A good dealer will catch most of the workmanship issues when they are prepping the unit for delivery to the customer and fix them before the customer even sees it. A bad dealer hopes the customer doesn't catch it so they don't have to fool with it. A bad dealer will also say that CR refuses to pay for something or that they are waiting on a reply from CR when they have never even contacted them and are just buying time for your unit to sit on their back lot until they can get to it. That's just my observation from several years of RVing and buying RVs of different brands. Thanks for sharing a positive report.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I don't think it's always the dealer's fault. In our current case, the bed has separated from the wall in the slide. It was caused by water damage because the slide was not properly protected by the manufacturer, allowing water to get in.

Since we have a 2 year warranty, the fix is covered by CR, however they insist on making the new bed and shipping it to the dealer. The service manager can easily go to Home Depot, buy the wood, and build a new bed, however CR will not pay unless they supply a new bed. So we wait.

As for overall quality, in my opinion, they make cheap units for two reasons: consumers want lower prices and there is no competition from the Japanese market. Years ago, when you bought a new car, you expected to bring it back to the dealer for stuff that was wrong. Then the Japanese cars entered the market, and their cars were much better built. North American car manufacturers either had make better quality cars or lose their business to the Japanese.

This sort of thing has not happened to the RV market. Yet.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
As for overall quality, in my opinion, they make cheap units for two reasons: consumers want lower prices and there is no competition from the Japanese market. Years ago, when you bought a new car, you expected to bring it back to the dealer for stuff that was wrong. Then the Japanese cars entered the market, and their cars were much better built. North American car manufacturers either had make better quality cars or lose their business to the Japanese.

This sort of thing has not happened to the RV market. Yet.
I think you are on to something. I remember when "Made in the USA" meant something.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I doubt we will see that happen. Cost of shipping would make them non-competitive.
They could build here I suppose but they would have to pay US wages.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Team

I don't blame the workers. They work on an assembly line that only gives you so much time to complete your assignment. Then it moves on to the next station. From what I heard from those that were on the factory tour, moving too quickly is THE problem. I guess they think faster is better, but if they still have to fork out for warranty repairs it doesn't make sense.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I don't blame the workers. They work on an assembly line that only gives you so much time to complete your assignment. Then it moves on to the next station. From what I heard from those that were on the factory tour, moving too quickly is THE problem. I guess they think faster is better, but if they still have to fork out for warranty repairs it doesn't make sense.
I agree. There's an old saying that goes something like this: If you don't have time to make it right in the first place, when will you have time to set it right?

In other words, they might save more money in the long run by making it right in the first place.

We went on the factory tour when we went to the rally, but it was on a Saturday and there was no one working then. I understand if you book a factory when not on the rally, you go during the week.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Just had our factory tour last month. The crew has a variable quota of units to finish that day. They had 7 units to finish the day we were there. Once the quota was met, they all went home. They evidently get paid based on quota completion. Most of the workers were almost running to get the units out.

JimL
Generator Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Not to impressive. Obviously they don't care about quality...just heading home early.
Management has to change their initiatives.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Called CR today Stated they tried to call dealer today about my unit.I have called CR every week for 3 weeks since unit has been back in shop for 5th time in a year. So ,I called Dealer ,they stated they have not received a call from CR. The service man wants the name of person at CR so he can call tomorrow. Patients running thin with CR. Dealer is working with me. CR wants the unit back at manufacture to look it over and fix. I am letting CR and dealership work it out.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator Jim View Post
Just had our factory tour last month. The crew has a variable quota of units to finish that day. They had 7 units to finish the day we were there. Once the quota was met, they all went home. They evidently get paid based on quota completion. Most of the workers were almost running to get the units out.

JimL
Well that is not good! I agree with Wayne that they need to change their incentives. We should maybe bring this up at the rally next year to the president.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy View Post
I doubt we will see that happen. Cost of shipping would make them non-competitive.
They could build here I suppose but they would have to pay US wages.
My last two Toyotas were built in Canada. They were both good quality cars. The first went almost 500,000 km. and the second one, at over 300,000 km. is still on the road.

So if the Japanese or some other nation decided to build quality RVs for us, they could do it here. I know camping is huge in Europe. I wonder if they have same quality issues there?

Old 11-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
My last two Toyotas were built in Canada. They were both good quality cars. The first went almost 500,000 km. and the second one, at over 300,000 km. is still on the road.

So if the Japanese or some other nation decided to build quality RVs for us, they could do it here. I know camping is huge in Europe. I wonder if they have same quality issues there?
Canada's North plant builds the Corolla the best selling vehicle in the world. The number of units sold in the our two countries is what made it attractive to build here.
Secondly the auto industry is regulated the RV builders are not, as long as that is true quality will always be an issue. IMO.
I do not know how the Europeans regulate their RV industry.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

crossroads service

you think you want to get it right the first time. Instead of bringing units back time after time. It must cost too much to build these things then turn around and charge us an outrageous price
Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

I meant to say it must not cost too much to build these things
Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne bair View Post
Called CR today Stated they tried to call dealer today about my unit.I have called CR every week for 3 weeks since unit has been back in shop for 5th time in a year. So ,I called Dealer ,they stated they have not received a call from CR. The service man wants the name of person at CR so he can call tomorrow. Patients running thin with CR. Dealer is working with me. CR wants the unit back at manufacture to look it over and fix. I am letting CR and dealership work it out.

What helped for me was getting on a conference call with the RV dealer Service Manager and the Service Rep. at crossroads. Stops the finger pointing and he said she said.

In my case most of the delays are due to the dealer - they have allot of warranty work and the new sales take priority.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY View Post

What helped for me was getting on a conference call with the RV dealer Service Manager and the Service Rep. at crossroads. Stops the finger pointing and he said she said.

In my case most of the delays are due to the dealer - they have allot of warranty work and the new sales take priority.
That sounds great, if you can get them both at the same time. Most of the time, when you call CR, you end up leaving a voice message.