Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #21
New Camper

I have checked all the fuses and all the breakers and all work. I did check my old element and it was bad, so I replaced it, but it still doesn't fire unless I jump the switch with a hot wire. This happened last spring after I opened it up after winter. Everything worked but I left on the waste tank heater and when I came back after 3 weeks, the hot water heater did not work. I tried a new board, new eco stat, etc. Then I checked the switch and thought that was it, but there is no power to the switch. I then checked all the fuses and breakers, all are fine. I had a repairman look at it and he thought he had voltage at the heater but not enough to kick it on?? He wanted to trace the wire back from the heater but he hasn't been back. I don't know what else to check. I can send a pic of the back of the heater if that would help you see anything...thanks for answering.

Larry
Lamboax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

I can only suggest you find a schematic of the water heater and start checking voltages. I agree it sounds like a voltage loss on both 120 and 12v. Since both voltages are gone, maybe you got a critter to eat the wires somewhere.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
New Camper

Thanks, I will double check everything, maybe trace the wire to the switch?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I just looked at mine (almost as old - what model do you have?) and there is a fuse on the circuit board accessed from outside. Have you checked that one?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #25
New Camper

Yes, mine has the 2 amp fuse and I tested that and it is fine, also I checked the in line fuse that protects the unit from overheating. It seems like it should have a reset or something and I do not have one that I can see. The back has the wires to the element and some kind of circuit board, could something be bad on that? I have sent a pic of the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot water heater.jpg (112.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #26
New Camper

My model is Atwood Water Heater Gc10a-4e-10 Gallon Gas/Elec-Electric Ignition.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

I have the same unit so if there are any measurements or checks you want me to do, I will be happy to assist. My email is in my profile as well.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
New Camper

Thank you for your help, but the only thing I haven't tried is finding where the hot wire that goes to switch comes from. Do you know? thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

I went and checked mine. My hot seems to be coming from the converter panel. I found the 12v fuse and on my unit it is labeled "trunk" and also powers my main cabin ceiling lights. Why it's called Trunk I don't know. There must be a splice somewhere because there is only one wire on the fuse but my ceiling lights AND W/H 12v power go out when the fuse is pulled (imagine that, a splice in the wall!!). I also have my owners manual and it has wiring diagrams and such. The 120v for the element is straight from the W/H circuit breaker to a relay on the W/H. When you turn on the electric switch on the wall it powers this relay which then powers the heating element.

The manual is number MPD 93755. You might check the atwood website for it if you don't have one.