Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Metro Ford in Calgary.

We must have passed eachother on the highway, because we were in Fairmont for the August Long weekend.

I assume you have the 5.4L? I had an Expedition previously with the 5.4L, and for me, the F250 with the 6.2 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 5.4L. I looked seriously at the new F150 with the V6 ecoboost, but at the end of the day, I just couldn't be convinced that a 6-cyl engine could reliably pull what Ford says it will pull. Plus, I love the added stiffness and stability that the bigger truck provides. Also, I think the 6spd tranny Ford built to match with the 6.2L makes them a great pair.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

Hi,

Just purchased an st26bh also. Did the new axles work out and do you know if Sunset Trails changed the axel design so I don't have to worry about it on the 2012 models?

JT
jtippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

I love my ST26bh, but I will be checking my axles. Where do you look to see what capacity they have? How would you tell if there was a problem?

Also, I started pullingthe trailerwith our 5.4 Expedition, but didn't like the way it felt (had previously pulled a 25' trailer with it just fine) So, we started pulling it with our 5.4 F-150 crew cab. It seems to be more stable pulling with the longer wheelbase vehicle. It could use more power in the mountains, but we still make it up and down the steep inclines....just a little slower.Edited by: 4AggiesMom

3 Sons, 2 Daughters-in-Law

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

1 Grandson, 2 Grandaughters

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
4AggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Hello,
I will be picking up my new 2012 crossroads sunset trail reserve 32FR on April 14, how can I be sure that they have the right axels on it? I have seen enough on this site about this problem to worry me.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Don't know. I know when I was at the RV show this year, I looked at the ST26BH they had at the show, and it still had the 3700# axles.

I know I had upgraded axles - the stickers and the work order had 2 5200# axles when lippert replaced them. Now the suspension/tires were not changed, so my sticker GVWR hasn't changed. Still, knowing I've got more beef under the trailer makes me feel a bit better. The wheel flex is gone too.

I assume that Lippert/Crossroads modified the design. When I had my trailer in last year, they said that they had 4-5 just in that time period in for the same repair at my dealer. Certainly they would have fixed the problem?!?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

Got a new STR 25RB, the tongue jack failed after we used it twice. Fortunately I was dropping it off at an RV repair center to have a slide topper installed. The jack wouldn't come down and I had to prime it with the hand crank and it worked until it got to the ground and the clutch started slipping again. I hand cranked it off the hitch and called LCI directly since my CR dealer is 180 miles from home base. They were very nice and prompt in resolving my issue. They shipped out replacement parts that day and added the service center to their list so my labor is covered too. Although I consider myself fortunate in that regard I think LCI did a great job in working with us.

Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Family Vacation Member

I also just purchased a 2013 26BH. I am very concerned with this axle issue. ( I am brand new to this forum )<table style="table-layout: fixed;" ="tableBorder" cellSpacing="1" cellPadding="3" align="center">

<t><tr><td ="msgableTop" vAlign="top"></td></tr><tr style="height: 200px; min-height: 200px;" ="msgableRow"><td ="msgLineDevider" vAlign="top"><div ="msg"> Don't know. I know when I was at the RV show this year, I looked at the ST26BH they had at the show, and it still had the 3700# axles.<div ="msg"><div ="msg">I thought that they were stock 3500# not 3700#. I was also told by the dealer that they were to be 4400# but I think they are mistaken. I have no way of knowing until the trailer actually shows up end of april. <div ="msg">3500# seems a bit on the low side as previously mentioned with a 7700GVW on the 26BH. <div ="msg"><div ="msg">Any help on how to get a beefier axle would be great. I can see this turning out to be a disaster when the trailer shows up with 3500# and they said it should be 4400#. Any other opinions on running 3500# axles on the 26BH would be great as well.<div ="msg"><div ="msg">Thanks!</td></tr></t>

</table>

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

By the way for your information,the newF-150 EcoBoost V6 3.5 Litres 3.73 has a towing capacity of 11,200lbs... towing my Sunset Trail ST26BH is very easy, these trucks were designed to pull heavy loads... and also be good on gas....motor is $1000.00 more on your truck price...but when you figure it out...after 50 000km, you will be getting in your money is gas savings...

So I would recommend this truck!

2011 F-150 4x4 ECOBOOST SuperCrew 3.5L V63.73

Rockland,Ontario

https://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...1;ny/test2.jpg

Yanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

I must admit that I'm surprised by the inconsistency in axles supplied by CR/Lippert.

I know with mine, I was hounding my dealer pretty hard, as this issue developed in the middle of camping season. In the end, my dealer had the trailer for almost 3 weeks, and I only got it back after daily phone calls. I'm curious if they ended up just sending 2 5200# axles out of expediency, as opposed to waiting for the stock ST26BH axles.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

Here is the reply from Crossroads that I got when I sent them my concerns regarding the axles...

Dear Sir,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

The GVWR is based on the maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded unit, this includes all liquids, cargo and the tongue. So looking at your ST26BH the axles are rated at 3500 lbs, the tires at 1820 lbs each and the tongue weight at 700 lbs. The axles are rated at less than the tires so using the axle rating and the hitch weight you get the GVWR, in the case of the ST26BH you have a GVWR of 7700 lbs. (GVWR is both the tongue weight and the axle or tire ratings, whichever is less, combined together).

The axles are rated proper for your unit.

Sincerely,

Tom Sanford

Crossroads RV

Service &amp; Warranty

2011 F-150 4x4 ECOBOOST SuperCrew 3.5L V63.73

Rockland,Ontario

https://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...1;ny/test2.jpg

Yanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Looks great on paper doesn't it? The problem arises when the 3,500# axles from Lippert are not capable of carrying 3,500# while bouncing down the road.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

We bought a 2012 30 RE and had the same problem with the tongue jack (Lippert) , we were ready to head out camping and when I raised the jack it fully extended making a couple ratchet sounds, then when I tried to lower it it would not come down. I phoned the dealer because it's only 2 months old and they said to use a regular car jack to lift it and take the jack off and bring it in. I noticed rusty water running out of the jack from it laying on it's side in the trunk and when I brought it in they said they will send it away to see if they will warranty it and it could take up to 3 weeks, so much for extended warranty. I have also noticed the rims flexing when i'm backing up the trailer on asphalt. It almost looks like the axles are too far apart which would cause this. I have not seen a trailer with that much space between axels. Since we bought this trailer the tv did not work at the pdi and had to be replace the front cover was full of rock chips and cracks and the said they would replace the front cover but now that we drove it off the lot they say that Crossroads will only allow them to paint it, the microwave started to spark and lit a paper popcorn bag on fire the first time we used it ( the sparks were arcing up to a metallic sticker inside the door). the back window was not installed correct and looks like it is going to fall out, one of the swivel chairs were torn they notice on the pdi and said they would order in a new one 2 months ago and now say they knew nothing about it, the outside speakers work some times when I turn them on and sometimes not ( I had to disconnect all the power to the trailer and then they worked.
We bought this trailer new in Langley B.C. Canada and so far we are just getting a run around with the dealer.
riderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Seasonal Camper

"when I tried to lower it it would not come down"
Thats better than mine today....Damn thing fell down at 55 mpg. Made an awful noise dragging down the asphalt.
Had to bungee cord it up...I hope the dealer is willing to send out a replacement as we are leaving for the "big trip" in a few days....

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #34
Family Vacation Member

We have a ram 1500 hemi and it is rated to pull 10,500 lbs. It is set up for towing. So far it tows great and seems not to be straining at all.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #35
Family Vacation Member

Did anyone determine where to look for the rating on the axles? Orif larger axles are standard now?
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #36
Family Vacation Member

Has anyone else had or heard of any more axle failures?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #37
Full Time Camper

My axles are labled in the center of the axle. Ihad to crawl under to see them. When added together they should be at or more than your trailer max gross weight. If they can't carry the weight the manufacture says is the gross weight for the trailer than they are under sized. I have not had any axle issues yet, but my trailer is quite new.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #38
Family Vacation Member

This is kinda long, but it's got me concerned.

Ok so during the PDI I crawled under my 290QB and read the labels on the axles. Rated to 3500 lbs each (= 7000lbs) so ok no worries there right. Well thenwhy does the GVWR of my trailer state it's 7664 lbs? That's 664 lbsheavier than the axles are rated for? Am I missing something? This seems risky.

I saw another post where they claim the tires are rated to 1800 lbs each and also talk about the tongue weight, so why does that matter? If you subtract my hitch weight(664 lbs)from my axle ratings you get the 7000 lbs. Ok, but the axle ratings to me seem like they should be higher andhave somesort of safety factor built in.

Also doesn't the weight distribution hitch only affect a portion of the hitch weight from the trailer? I thought it put 10%-20% back on thetrailer frame and rest on the tow vehicle. Ifso wouldn't you then subtract that 10-20% from the 7664 lbs to get true GVWR? So still 7664 - 162lbs (20%) = 7502 lbs which is still 502lbs heavier than axles are rated for.

Now the brochure listed cargo carrying capacity is listed at 1890 lbs, but then on the yellow sticker on my 290QB says "the weigh of cargo should never exceed1738 lbs". I get that because the brochure weight of 5774 lbs is off because the actual weight of my unit is 5880 lbs. However none of the numbers actually match up. 1890 - 1738 = 152 lbs, 5880 - 5774 = 106 lbs.

But then it says "cargo carrying capacity: 655.89 KG =1444 lbs), calculated with the fresh water tanks full (128KG cold = 282 lbs, 23 KG hot = 50.7 lbs) and waste tanks empty". What the heck is going on? Why can't they just give accurate numbers one time and not a whole bunch of conflictingones.

In comparison, my truck has a GVWR of 7200lbs and my axles are rated to 8049 lbs. No mention of tires or hitch weight affecting it. Why wouldn't theCR trailersaxles be determined similarly and be over-built rather than under-built? I posed this question to CR customer care, so we'll see what they say.