Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

use cover or not

Looking for input.

We are new had a popup for 2 years now a TT. On the Popup we used a adco cover (no complaints). Looking to see what others are doing and success or not. most covers are breathable, FAQs state rubber roof needs to breath.

FAQs from crossroads say do not use a cover. "It is not recommended that your RV be wrapped with any type of cover"
jsd493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't know about others, but here in PA, even though the winters are sometimes tough, I do not use a cover.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

You'll probably get a wide variety of responses, but I do not use a cover either. Live in central Mo. Fairly mild winters with some occasional snow.
Ford F-150 Twin Turbo, Max Towing Package
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I relate it to what happened to my nice shiny red sports car years ago that I put an expensive well fitting front bra on to protect the paint...

after a few months I took it off to detail the car and the ever so slight movement of the cover had scuffed the paint enough to where I could never take the cover off unless I got the car repainted

granted your rv cover probably won't be in winds as fast as that cover was subjected to
but I'll also bet it won't FIT as well and will have more movement in any wind ...

My solution? I found a covered storage spot for $55/mth !
Old 01-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

No to covers. None of them fit well enough not to mar the surface of the trailer. Over time the covers will become filled with dirt or will transfer dirt to the surface of the trailer. Add in the movement of the cover and you have more surface damage. I owned a detailing business years ago and had a client buy a black Porsche. He brought it to me and I polished the surface back to perfection. He then went on a two day cruise with his friends. Each night he would park the car and put his cover on it. When he got home I showed him all the scratches and marring the cover put back into the surface of the paint. He would have been better protected just leaving it out.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you do cover it remember that your 'eave trough spouts' stick out about 3" and the cover will pull them down,as in putting downward pressure on them and possibly cracking the sealant on top of them allowing water to infiltrate behind the eaves...could cause a problem by covering.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
Yes I agree with Harley, The cover against the rubber ends will almost surely cause them to break the seal and leak. My opinion would be not to cover for that reason alone. I have had too many water leaks to chance it.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote