Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

has anyone converted a bottom bunk into a crib. i was think of putting a big baby gate with a "door" that opens. we had the baby next to the couch last year in a playpenand everytime someone went inside the baby would wake up.so we want to move him into the quad bunk area.my kids are 10-6and 15 months.thanks
spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Yes. In the ST31QB we had we bought a baby gate for the bottom bunk. It was a metal pressure fit one and you could buy additional extensions for it to give you the necessary length. The pressure fit worked well (I didn't want to put screws in in case we traded it in (which we did) or so we didn't have screw holes when it was time to take it down. I did get a small 'L' bracket which a screwed into the wood under the matress to prevent the gate from bowing outward (leaving an area the child could get stuck in.) All in all, I think it worked pretty well. It is a little tight swinging the gate open and closed or if you need to climb in bed with the child. That said, I am 6'2" and could get in there ok. My BIL made a set up for his 5er and built stairs into the set up as well. He did have a bit more room as his bunks were in an 'L' shape and not parallel like ours are. We also drape a dark towel over the back big window so the light didn't come in.

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We used to use a baby gate on the bunks in the in-laws trailer for our babies. Worked great.

07 Chevy Silverado Z71

07 Zinger 32QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/P1000558.jpg
thegreatcanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

thanks, the "L" bracket sounds good. i'll give it a try.

-ed

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

When my daughters were younger we used bed rails to keep them in. Friends of ours removed the bottom hinged bunk completely and put the matteress on the floor. This made the under bed storage walls the security walls. Could be tough on one's back though.

_popupControl();

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

sounds interesting...but that would put the matress in my storage area.i'm going to try the large baby gate with a built in swing door so you dont have to remove the whole set up to gain access to the sleeping area. i will try to post pictures when i figure it out.

salda check to see if your popup blocker is turned off. i noticed it says something about popups after you post.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The matteress was in their storage area, they lost the storage when they were set-up. Not a big deal because that's where the wagon and bikes went. Personally, I found the bed rails the best set-up. They broke down easily laid flat and were secure.

Also, I have turned off my pop up blocker and allow popups from this website. Looks like it solved the problem. Thanks

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Cold! and Lonley! »