Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
New Camper

Has anyone had a problem with the drain valve for the sewer drain? I leave my valve closed like instructed but when I flush the line I have blockage , HELP !!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I'm no expert, but until recently it was myself, my wife and two teenage daughters. Based on the school of baptism by blockage, here are my thoughts:

1. Too much toilet paper
2. Not enough water
3. Not enough digester

You need to get the blockage removed. Begin by using a clear elbow so you can view your success or failure when dumping. Not gross like you might think. Add several gallons of water and some digester. Let it percolate for a day or so and try dumping again. If the blockage isn't removed the first time, try again until successful.

After you succeed in getting the blockage removed, Start with up to 5 gallons of water in the tank with one digester bottle. Think of this as the beginning to successful tank flushes.

Ask everyone in your trailer to see if they can cut back on the amount of paper used. Human waste is not the enemy and is not causing your tank blockage. The evil villain is toilet paper.

When using the facilities make sure everyone uses PLENTY of water to wash the waste into the tank. You want alot of liquid per a small amount of paper.

I never had issues with dumping the sewer on my old trailer. My Sunset Trail is a different matter altogether. I not only follow the above advice, but I add a packet of digester per person per tank on top of the digester used in the 5 gallons of tank starter. In addition I stole from the geo method (google it) and use calgon water softener with each tank as well. Harder for paper to stick to slippery surfaces.

Of course I use the black tank flush to thoroughly rinse the tank out when done. This combo has worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Not sure which valve you are talking about (grey or black) but there have been a very few that have had debris in their black tank other than sewage that has caused issues with clogs. If your tank won't drain when the valve is opened, you might try getting a sewer hose adapter that has a garden hose attachment so that you can "backflush" the line. That might clear the clog.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
I have to agree with papa2 with, too much toilet paper, not enough water and not enough digester.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Since your Hampton is setup on a site and never moves the stuff in the tank never gets sloshed around while traveling to break things uplike a TT would. You might want to look at a Flush King so you are filling the tank with water from the outside pushing eveything away from the drain. Once the tank is full and you pull the valve everything should flow out with the pressure from the water. We have the built in tank fluser but I still use my Flush King from time to time.

And as the others have said use plenty of water on every flush.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks to ALL who are giving me their input! I will update the findings!! Thanks again, Bill.