Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 Shortbed. Looking for a hard type bed cover that will fold forward and allow use of fifthwheel hitch. Have seen many types on line, but hard to tell if they will interfere. Anyone have one on their shortbed, I dont want the sliding kind, because you usually have to drill into the truck rails to mount it.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I just installed a rollback cover from BAK Industries (bakliner.com). It works great, well made and no holes in bed. You can set the "stops" anywhere you want. It covers my hitch and is secure if you have a locking tailgate. I did have to mod the hitch handle a bit so it is under the cover. It is not completely waterproof but I think only a cap will do that. It was $835 with free shipping and was about a 3 hour install job (or a 5 beer install if you are so inclined!)

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I had a pace edwards rolltopon a silverado and it used the clamps (included). It did have an optional installations where you culd screw into the bedrail if you wanted.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Look into the "Back flip" hard top. We've had one for 4 years on our full length bed and love it.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Stan, I've been looking for the roll-bak tonneau cover for mine. The best price up here in Canada (ontario) I have found is about $1500 bucks (although, I do have a long bed). Just wondering where you picked yours up. How did you mod your hitch handle? I think I will have the same clearance issue too.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info on the BakFlip info. This cover is AWESOME! I have been looking for something like this for some time to replace my roll up soft cover.

Here is a link to thier website for any others that may be looking.

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/bakflip_home
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have a ReTrax and have been happy with it. I have use a bunge cord to hold the handle down so the cover can clear it when the cover is closed.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Shoe:
I know you mention hard side type, but like others I have 2006 Dodge and intalled the Truxedo Deuce. this has allowed me to: (a) mount a bed/floor tool box in my truck, (b) keep both my 5thWheel Hitch Covered when not in used with pulling the rig, (c) Allows me to open the cover from both the front (access to tool box), From the rear, and roll it up when pulling my cruiser. (d) NO drilling, all clamped on. It has been perfect. ONLY let down is that it doesnt really lock, but most covers are not thief proof anyways.

http://www.truxedo.com/deuce/land.php

PS: If that fariy comes my way, I'll take one of those 2012Cummins with PowerBoost and Jake Brakes. Totally awesome.

Enjoy Sir.

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,2x4,QC

2011 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 SeaDoo GTX SC
wenzdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Matt, I got my rollbak at bakflipfactoryoutlet.com but there are other sites as well. I did notice the price went up a bit. To mod the handle, I simply pulled it off, cut the initial curve off (about 3 inches or so) and drilled a new hole and remounted it in a flatter angle. It only has to pull to release the jaws so the flat angle is not a big deal to me.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I have a Fold-a-Cover. It's a tough as nails and can take a beating. I bought it 8 years ago when I got our first Silverado. I put it on the second Silverado when we got it.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I just checked on Fold-a-Cover and you have to remove your tie-downs to attach it. How do you tie things down when the cover is folded open?
Also I'm curious if it works with a fifth wheel tailgate with louvers.
Are there any covers that work with a fifth wheel and have tie-downs?

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Had a Bak-Flip on my last truck, works well; only downside is with it fully open it completely blocks the rear window and you have to make sure you install the braces to hold it open.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

A lot of responses, I have looked at the ones mentioned but still not sure if they will work ok on a short bed. I really dont want to have to remove the whole thing when I tow. Some look like they may work. When I call the dealer selling them, they say sure it should work. Even when I ask them what the width is when they are all folded up they give me an estimate, I guess I just need to find a dealer that has some locally. So I can measure. I would think a short bed at 76" and four panels, would make the panels 19" wide. If that was the case, then it would not interfere with the FW hitch or turning.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728
A lot of responses, I have looked at the ones mentioned but still not sure if they will work ok on a short bed. I really dont want to have to remove the whole thing when I tow. Some look like they may work. When I call the dealer selling them, they say sure it should work. Even when I ask them what the width is when they are all folded up they give me an estimate, I guess I just need to find a dealer that has some locally. So I can measure. I would think a short bed at 76" and four panels, would make the panels 19" wide. If that was the case, then it would not interfere with the FW hitch or turning.

The Fold-a-Cover works like that. I have the standard box on our 2500HD and the cover has never interferred with the 5vr hitch. The sections fold accordion style onto the front panel and are held down with simple snap straps.
I looked at the other types of covers and found that they were either too flimsy or too complex for the kind of abuse that I would likely give it. I'm quite satisfied with the Fold-a-Cover for it's simplicity and ruggedness.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
I just checked on Fold-a-Cover and you have to remove your tie-downs to attach it. How do you tie things down when the cover is folded open?
Also I'm curious if it works with a fifth wheel tailgate with louvers.
Are there any covers that work with a fifth wheel and have tie-downs?

Ken, The tie downs that you mention, are you talking about the stakepockets at the corners of the bed rails? If you are, then yes they are covered because the sidesealsaremounted on top of the bed rails and thestakepockets are used toholddown the side seals.

I would seem to me that the cover is there to keep prying eyes away and somewhat safeguard anything that is in the box. Out of sight; out of mind? If you have a louvered tail gate thenthe "out of sight; out of mind" idea is out the window.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I have the Extang Tri Fold on my Silverado with a 6' 6" box. It's a good sturdy cover but unfortunately I have to remove it when towing.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

thanks stan, I bring my truck and trailer home next weekend. I will have to look into the hitch handle mod.

As others have said, I dont really like how the tri-folds block the rear window when open either. I believe most of them block the stake pockets as well. But being on top of the bed rails allows clearance over the hitch. I guess it comes down to a preference thing.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Yes it's the "stake pockets" I'm talking about. I have flip up tie downs in those pockets that I use with a cargo net. While a folding cover would protect some stuff there are other things I haul that are taller than the bed sides and needs a net.

I'm not so concerned about "prying eyes" but think the aerodynamics would be beneficial when the cover is over the bed.

I have a tool box in the front of my bed, I'm curious how wide the panels of a Fold-a-Cover are?

I always thought someone should come up with a cover that has a removable panel down the middle for the fifth wheel. You could keep stuff from blowing around in the bed when the trailer is hitched. There might be some aerodynamic benefit there also.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Seems to be a lot of concern over blocking the stake pockets. The Rolbak does not do this and you can set it up to be partially closed (up to the hitch) when towing. That will keep the rain off anything under the partially closed cover.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Stan, the Rolbak looks pretty cool but doesn't appear like it would roll back from the front to allow access to the tool box.