Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rig darting and dancing

My rig wants to dart and dance as I'm going down the road. Maybe a better way to put it is that I continually have to work to maintain my lane.

Speed does not seem to affect this when I'm over 55 mph. Pavement type seems to have a little effect. I don't think the trailer is swaying. I does seem like I'm being pushed around on the Interstate a little. Maybe this is normal for a bigger rig -- I realize there's a lot of surface area on a 32-foot camper for the air coming off other vehicles to push on. But I still get the darting even when there's no one beside me.

This condition is something new for me. My former camper was a 27-foot Jayco that weighed around 5,500 empty. Towing it was a pleasure.

I did go through the set up procedure as outlined in the Equal-i-zer instruction manual, i.e., measuring the wheel wells empty and loaded, etc., etc.

If any of you have an insight to why this may be going on or what I can do or adjust to stop it, I will be most appreciative!

Thanks, Greg

2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32RL
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Tekonsha P3
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
Whippoorwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Make sure your trailer is level front to back. Nose high would be bad and cause it to drift. Also make sur you have adequate tounge weight at least 10% of loaded trailer weight 10-15% is normal. shift load forward to compensate.
If thats all good have an axle shop check tire alignment of the trailer you could be out causing it not to track well.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yes. Proper tongue weight is very important..

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Check your tire pressure in the rear. Under inflated will cause that also
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

all good advice above....I got vote for not enough tongue weight.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Best thing to do is go to a local Cat scale and weigh everything loaded as you would for camping. Obtain 3 weights. First weight is just the truck (front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2). 2nd weigh is truck plus tt and no wdh. (Both tt axles on third scale pad, truck same as 1st weigh). Third weigh is truck plus tt with wdh.

The difference in total weights between weigh one and weigh two is the total loaded weight of your tt. The difference in the truck weight (rear plus front axle) in the first two weights will tell you your tongue weight. You want your tongue weight to be 13-15% of your loaded tt weight. Now look at the third ticket where are your hitched (with wdh) truck axle weights in comparison to the unchurched axle weights? Ideally you want the front axle weight as close to unchurched weight as possible without going heavier. I have tried to set up using measurements and never liked my handling with any of my 3 tv and my old tt. Dialing in by weight got me a much better handling rig every time. You should have plenty of truck for your tt, I'm not questioning that. I just think weights help you set up your rig better.

Another thing to look into is your tires. What are you running? I'm guessing LT load range E, if so that is good. What pressure are you running? Try airing up your tires. As long as your tires are rated for it, try airing up to 65 or 70 psi in front and 75 or 80 psi in the rear. You can go all the way to 80 in all tires if necessary. Higher psi equals stiffer sidewalls. Softer sidewalls have more wander in the handling when towing. Hope this helps.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Softer sidewalls have more wander in the handling when towing.
Great advise on weight. I switched to a 10 ply tire at my last tire change and what a difference! My truck always seemed to be affected by strong crosswinds even when not towing. Everyone says it will affect ride quality, ride rougher, but I really can't appreciate any difference.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

you could have a "load" test done to your truck tires to see if there is a busted belt that is acting up under load.

there could be a belt issue on the trailer tires, making it want to walk around, you are experiencing the tale wagging the dog,

However, even with good sway control devices, load range E ST trailer tires, load range E truck tires, Bilstein shocks and Hellwig sway bars, if the wind condition is right, we get wagged a little bit. The crew cab short box length of the truck does help to tame it, but the lever arm advantage is on the side of the trailer.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Do you have a sway bar on your hitch?

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Great advise on weight. I switched to a 10 ply tire at my last tire change and what a difference! My truck always seemed to be affected by strong crosswinds even when not towing. Everyone says it will affect ride quality, ride rougher, but I really can't appreciate any difference.

x2,

Even with top of the line sway control, you can have quite a bit of play left to right in the TV with standard LT tires.

We switched to 10 ply after a cross country trip last year and it cinched up that play. The trailer never ever swayed, but the winds picked up in a storm and I was floating left to right. Very nerve racking.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Best thing to do is go to a local Cat scale and weigh everything loaded as you would for camping. Obtain 3 weights. First weight is just the truck (front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2). 2nd weigh is truck plus tt and no wdh. (Both tt axles on third scale pad, truck same as 1st weigh). Third weigh is truck plus tt with wdh.

The difference in total weights between weigh one and weigh two is the total loaded weight of your tt. The difference in the truck weight (rear plus front axle) in the first two weights will tell you your tongue weight. You want your tongue weight to be 13-15% of your loaded tt weight. Now look at the third ticket where are your hitched (with wdh) truck axle weights in comparison to the unchurched axle weights? Ideally you want the front axle weight as close to unchurched weight as possible without going heavier. I have tried to set up using measurements and never liked my handling with any of my 3 tv and my old tt. Dialing in by weight got me a much better handling rig every time. You should have plenty of truck for your tt, I'm not questioning that. I just think weights help you set up your rig better.

Another thing to look into is your tires. What are you running? I'm guessing LT load range E, if so that is good. What pressure are you running? Try airing up your tires. As long as your tires are rated for it, try airing up to 65 or 70 psi in front and 75 or 80 psi in the rear. You can go all the way to 80 in all tires if necessary. Higher psi equals stiffer sidewalls. Softer sidewalls have more wander in the handling when towing. Hope this helps.

Good advice, but make doubly sure the tires are "E" rated before trying to inflate them!

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the good advice! This is a great forum.

2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32RL
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Tekonsha P3
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
Whippoorwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

This last trip we were in a hurry since it was an emergency trip and just threw everything in between the slides in the rear living room...

made 3 hours of the trip after work and had a LOT of side to side push we had never experienced.

So I checked the air in my truck tires to make sure they were hard enough to handle the weight and all was well...

meanwhile all the 'stuff' was stored in the right place and the next leg of the trip out and the trip back was fine...

towed much faster than I normally do and pretty sure
the issue was that I had put too much in the long rear overhang of our big 5er and just unloaded the tongue weight...

More tongue weight is MUCH better than not enough because you will get rear end induced steering if the tow vehicle gets too light in the rear...