Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Grand Canyon Trip

Well Minnesota winter is starting to wear thin, not enough snow for snowmobiling is driving me nuts...so now its time to shift my thoughts to our June trip. We will be heading from Southern MN to the grand canyon. Wife, two boys (9 and 12) and my self.
In the past, tips of places to stay on the way, and while there really paid off.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Once at the canyon, we would like a place to set up camp as our "base camp", don't necessarily need full hook ups but would like something better than a bare rock.

In park is OK, or out of the park, but close, would work also. (especially if it had a pool for the kids!)

In advance,,,,thanks!
-mnsunet
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Something not to be missed is Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona. Page is at the top of the state, in the middle. The canyon itself is in two parts, upper and lower, with separate tours for each.

They are owned by the Navajo and you have to pay them to take you in for a tour. The place is very unique and is absolutely amazing. Look it up online. Also go to photos at the top of this page and see photos from our trip to the south-west last fall. You'll get an idea of stuff to see.

Just know that Highway 89 is closed from Page to Page to Highway 89A so you need to take another road to get there.

Colorado is amazing. We loved it so much, we actually went back before we went home.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you can make a swing by Colorado Springs and Garden of the Gods...
http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1

Purty nice for a city park

and the Air Force Academy is like 15 miles form there - Played golf there and at that altitude the ball goes FOREVER - hit an easy 9 iron 175 yards

And Cheyenne Mountain....
and
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/pa...eyenneMountain
Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Grand Canyon Camping

We stayed in a campground at the South Rim. It was called Grand Canyon Trailer Village RV park which had electric and water and we think sewer. While setting up camp I looked up and the was a 5X5 Bull Elk standing about 20' away and later he bugled and the cow elk were all over the place. There were mule deer bedded down right across the street from us. One nice thing is we never had to use our truck while there as they have a shuttle bus that stops at the entrance to the campground and takes you to all the scenic spots and trails along the way. You are free to get off and get back on as you desire. This keeps the vehicular traffic down and there are certain places where passenger cars are not permitted but the busses are. When I was a young lad of about 8 years old my parents gave me a book titled "Brighty Of The Grand Canyon". I am now 72 and still read it. I think you would enjoy it and kind of feel you are a part of it while hiking around. It can be purchased on Amazon and is not very expensive. This was probably the greatest trip we have taken pulling our trailer as it took us thru Colorado and the beauty of the Rockies. I actually fly fished for trout in a river at 7000 ft elevation, Priceless. Have a wonderful time!

Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We took a trip last summer and stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway Campground in Williams. We took the train up and back to the south rim. My granddaughter, 11 and 8 met us and we took them on the train. It was great fun. My daughter and son-in-law drove up to the canyon a couple of the days and went hiking into the canyon. Also in the area that are great places to visit are Oak Creek Canyon, Walnut Canyon National Monument (great hike into canyon with lots of ancient cliff dwelling ruins), Sunset Crater National Monument, Waputki National Monument. There is also another nice campground in Williams. Williams is a fun route 66 town.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

This is why I love this blog....keep the info coming. Its helping us through a Minnesota winter.