Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
New Camper

We have been looking around at all the dealers and I think we have it narrowed down to the ST26BH and the ZT26BH. The price difference is considerable at 5K. The Sunset trailhas the reserve package with all the bells and whistles and is tempting, but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. My main concern would be the aluminum construction vs wood. Weight is not an issue as I tow with an F350, but I'm wondering if the wood will hold up as well as aluminum. Any and all opinions are appreciated, please help.
joe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

In my humble opinion I think the wood will be warmer on a cold night. We pull our Kingston with Al. studs and an artic package to Arizonia every winter and you can see condensation on the outside where every stud is on mornings when the temps can be in the teens. However I really like the screwed together Al frame. It has to be more durable than wood. Who Know.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think your concerns with alum vs. wood are minor. Look at some of the older units people still haul around that are wood. Proper care of the unit is as important as the construction. IMHO, the wood/aluminum siding eliminates delamination concerns and is easier to repair in a mishap.

Maybe look at color options and available features with dear wifey. That (meaning she) may make the decision for you!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I am sure there are benefits between wood and aluminum but I know if water ever violates the structure and the wood gets wet the way campers are built it is very hard for that to dry out. Working in a federal park with a constant flow of campers I hae seen and heard enough horror stories about rotten frames. When we bought a new camper two back I insisted on total aluminum all around for that piece pf mind alone..

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

One of the reasons I chose the "gorilla cage" is the 5 year warranty. Not sure I'll have my unit that long but it's nice to know if I do that I have some peace of mind. I have been to a few factories, and yes one of them a Thor factory, and seen the wooden frames put together. I don't like staples or nails...give me screws and glue every time. JMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingstick
I am sure there are benefits between wood and aluminum but I know if water ever violates the structure and the wood gets wet the way campers are built it is very hard for that to dry out. Working in a federal park with a constant flow of campers I hae seen and heard enough horror stories about rotten frames. When we bought a new camper two back I insisted on total aluminum all around for that piece pf mind alone..

Your probably right to a degree...problem is ALL aluminum framing. So so many have wood in the floor or roof. I wish if they called it aluminum, it was ALWAYS ALL aluminum...
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Eddy,
The gorilla cage is aluminum 16" on center from floor to walls to roof. Check out the webpages and look at the information...yes there is wood in the floor, but that is the norm in all trailers...nothing you can do about that...but the structure they are screwed and glued to is solid and secure...and that should give you some peace of mind. IMO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
Just because your truck can pull more weight doesn't mean you should. To explain the price difference, lightness costs money. So does the extra level of equipment and better finishing. That should carry to resale as well. These two are not the same class of camper, and the price reflects that.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote