Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Equal-I-zer hitch

I just had a major failure with my new hitch. Camping World installed it for me and used a ball that had threads hanging below the nut and interfered with the receiver sleeves of the arms. This caused contact between the sleeves and the threads when the truck and trailer made turns and resulted in broken and cracked sleeves.

Camping World has already replaced the hitch head, but the used the same ball. Progress Mfg. has advised them they are putting the wrong balls on these hitches, and they are supposed to be ordering the right one to install on my hitch.

I am not bitching or ranting, just wanted to share so if anyone else is using the same hitch they can check to see if they have the right shank length and the threads do not extend past the nut. The photo is hard to see, but on the upper corner of the sleeve, you can see the gouge and just past that you can see the bottom of the threaded bolt extending too low.

3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I should also add that my local CW stated they put the same ball on every equalizer hitch they sell. They say they have never had any complaints, but I still suggested they get on the phone and warn their customers of a potential problem. They looked at me like I was crazy
Old 08-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I checked my hitch after reading your post. The ball on mine does not extend past the plate like yours does. Thanks for the heads up!
Stonehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Will be checking mine asap
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Wow, 3putt, I checked mine hitch head and the treads from the ball extend even further than yours. I did not see any marks on the spring bar sleeves however and for the life of me can't even see where the sleeves would hit the threads like you have explained.

Possible it's just a bad sleeve?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

When you make a tight turn or sometimes when backing up, the sleeves (equalizer calls them sockets) swing through the area where the shank on the ball extends down. If you look on my photo you can see the gouge in the top of the broken socket. Check your hitch manual and see what it says about them and if you still have a question I can get you Todd Munfords email address so you can send him a picture. He is an engineer at Progress MFG. who makes the equalizer hitch.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the heads up I will be checking mine
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
When you make a tight turn or sometimes when backing up, the sleeves (equalizer calls them sockets) swing through the area where the shank on the ball extends down. If you look on my photo you can see the gouge in the top of the broken socket. Check your hitch manual and see what it says about them and if you still have a question I can get you Todd Munfords email address so you can send him a picture. He is an engineer at Progress MFG. who makes the equalizer hitch.

So is the engineer advising us to change out the ball and longer threads? I don't a failure either and if they put on the incorrect size then I will certainly make sure they make it right. I would like to get the engineers recommendation in writing first. Progress is a good company and I have dealt with the sales manager a couple times, very helpful folks.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Todd's email is tmunford@progressmfg.com

Equalizer sells the correct ball themselves so each dealer should have it or be able to order it.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Todd's email is tmunford@progressmfg.com

Equalizer sells the correct ball themselves so each dealer should have it or be able to order it.
Thank you. I will contact him soon.