Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Thetford toilet

Just a heads up if you have a Aqua magic thetfod toilet.
I woke up wendsday morning to water overflowing onto the floor.
It wasnt as bad as it could have been as most of the water ran back through the hole in the floor where the water line comes in.

It seems the water valve failed. I removed the toilet and removed the top from the base but couldnt remove the water valve. So i went online for some info on how to remove. And i was shocked at how common this problem is with this model.

I finally put the base in the back of my truck and drove down to the local RV dealer. He said he could probably order the base as it and the valve are together but not to waste my time , he had replaced many of these toilets.

He showed me a dometic model that you can replace the water valve without pulling the toilet. So off to Oklahoma City to get a bone colored one to replace mine. After i installed this one it seems to have a more positive water shut off. It is the dometic model 310.

If you have a thetford that drips or you have to pull up on the foot pedal to comepletly shut it off I would keep a close eye on it.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You mentioned model 310. Is that the old one or new model number. Thanks for posting.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

The dometic 310 is the new one that I installed.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Water Shut off valve.

I’ve always thought that water shut off valve behind the Thetford would be a good idea. It's now on my "to do list".
Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

We find that toilet valves stick, so we always tell our customers make sure the water stops before walking away. The newer campers have pex plumbing so go to home depot get a 1/2 inch shark bite ball valve cut the line and simply push the ends into the ball valve, wala you have a shut off.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Valve sticking not shutting off

After several overflows I got hold of Thetford. They suggested silicone spray on the moving parts at the flush valve. These things are plastic and it does not take long for it to hang & overflow.
Yes ,I will be installing a shut off for when we are away.
mickeyndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Just a heads up if you have a Aqua magic thetfod toilet.
I woke up wendsday morning to water overflowing onto the floor.
It wasnt as bad as it could have been as most of the water ran back through the hole in the floor where the water line comes in.

It seems the water valve failed. I removed the toilet and removed the top from the base but couldnt remove the water valve. So i went online for some info on how to remove. And i was shocked at how common this problem is with this model.

I finally put the base in the back of my truck and drove down to the local RV dealer. He said he could probably order the base as it and the valve are together but not to waste my time , he had replaced many of these toilets.

He showed me a dometic model that you can replace the water valve without pulling the toilet. So off to Oklahoma City to get a bone colored one to replace mine. After i installed this one it seems to have a more positive water shut off. It is the dometic model 310.

If you have a thetford that drips or you have to pull up on the foot pedal to comepletly shut it off I would keep a close eye on it.
Thank you! Our pedal spring broke! Can't find the part! Any clue?
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I think that the toilet base is all one piece with all of the moving parts installed in it. You may have to buy the whole base. It may be cheaper to change the whole toilet.
Im not sure about this but when I replaced mine , if i recall correctly the tech at the dealer told me that.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thetford website

Last year I was able to download pdf files that showed the parts available and instructions on replacement even videos.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/CUSTOME...8/Default.aspx
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thank you! It is all 1 piece with the pedal and there is no replacement on my lust to replace. had 2 Flouds now because I thought I had manually pulled the pedal up but obviously not enough
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
New Camper

Exclamation Thetford toilet

FYI - This model toilet has a design flaw in the valve body. In a nut shell when winterized the valve can be damaged/cracked by RV anti freeze. RV anti freeze is designed to turn to slush in the extreme cold which the valve casting can not tolerate. Unfortunately the valve casting is integrated in the base. A simple way to test for damage: during de-winterization pressurize the water system via the internal water pump. If it activates for a split second now and then check for water around the toilet base and fill line.
username is offline   Reply With Quote