Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
New Camper

Done with Crossroads

Have owned a Cruiser 34 foot 5'er (Provincial CF333RL) since May 2012, bought it new and it must have been one of the Monday or Friday builds. Within 2 days of delivery we had a list of 15 defects to be fixed. Been ongoing since then and since my dealer is 3 hours away most of the fixes have been done myself. Last years trip to Texas was the start of losing confidence in the unit, every time we stopped it was "what will have fallen off now". Like many here we have had glass inserts in cupboards fall out, wood trim on the slides and even the front off the fridge door fall off. Everything is held together with staples and most are put in a edges so they tear out of the compressed paper wood. Even the dump panel has started to fall apart as on closer exam its fastened onto 1x1 inch wood for support, come on Crossroads, this is a panel under stress whenever the dump valves are pulled!

I finally lost it last week when I discovered a leak in the bedroom slide like many others have experienced. This one has been happening slowly over some time but this years rainy Ontario weather really got it going. Unfortunately I am 6 months out of warranty so the dealer cannot help me unless I pay and despite 2 emails to Crossroads service I have been told I am on my own. I even offered to drop in on my way to Texas to get them to look at it but was told no. My leak is so bad the wardrobe floor has delaminated and is black with mould. Some of our clothes stored in the cupboard were ruined and my wife lost 6 pairs of shoes. Mildew was up the walls like fur and the water has leeched across and ruined the bed frame (remember compressed paper pretending to be wood does not handle water well). I was ready to rip the slide apart when we decided to cut our loses any further and dump the unit - back at the dealer we bought it from. I was open and honest with him and even he has treated me fairly.

I have now bought a new trailer, slightly higher end, so I am crossing my fingers it will be better. Be assured it is not a Crossroad product, they got my money once, never again. From what I read on their forums people seem happier than what I read hear and the factory is very supportive of the dealers.

I am sure I will have issues with the new trailer but I could not face spending 5 months in Texas in a trailer that has had black mould in the bedroom. We loved the Cruiser design, layout and the way it towed so easily. Unfortunately the quality was not there and the support from the manufacturer non existent.

I would post pictures of the destruction but not sure how its down.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I hate that you've had so much trouble with your Cruiser. I would be surprised if you don't have some trouble with your new unit, as they are all built pretty much the same way. If you had that much water damage, it didn't happen overnight. Have you done a good job checking and resealing your roof and penetrations? That is something that needs to be done at least yearly, and more frequently if you are leaving it setting out in the weather. I'm not saying this to chastise you, just to warn you that if you aren't maintaining your unit well, you will have the same problem with your new one.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cooper View Post
I would post pictures of the destruction but not sure how its down.

How to add photos to a post
  • Click reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
  • Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 800 x 600 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 400K is recommended. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

That's terrible that you've had such a horrible experience. Good luck with your next rig.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
New Camper

Here are some pictures of my problem. I'm over it and moving on, hopefully my dealer can get some backing from Crossroads because now he has to fix it before he can re-sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3634.jpg (1.75 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3637.JPG (519.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3636.JPG (757.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
Tim, Good luck in your new rig. I have a 2011 32 foot quad bunkhouse. Had water damage leaking into it from day one it was built. Back to the dealer 2 months after we bought it. It was back there 4 times in the first 2 years. They gave up on it. each time being there 3 months at a time. finally it went back to crossroads. There it was torn apart 2 times in less than a year for the same leak. So, we took possession of it Dec. 2010. it was in the shop for more then half its life. they where still doing warranty work on it April of 2014. And I am out over $800.00 for gas and days off work to get it there and back from Michigan. That's 4 hour drive each way, and 2 day unpaid work off.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Tim, I will tell you as a avid RVer and park owner, I always check my new units for caulk voids. My 2015 cruiser had voids, I also tell all my customers pay close attention to the front and rear roof corners, and this is on all campers, as I have 130 of them seasonal in my park. I don't think you should have to climb all over your 2012 camper, but these things are made by people who really could careless about the product just a pay check and it shows in their work. I also rec. silicone caulk for slide out trim because it is stapled on. Dicor make a great caulk for roofs and maint. kits.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Having to check your New RV like this is very troubling indeed. I wonder if Crossroads monitors this site and makes changes to their operations? Moparguy, could you post a pic of what you mean on the stapled slide trim and where you caulk it?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Jeff View Post
Having to check your New RV like this is very troubling indeed. I wonder if Crossroads monitors this site and makes changes to their operations? Moparguy, could you post a pic of what you mean on the stapled slide trim and where you caulk it?

I don't understand your reasoning about it being troubling to check your RV over once in awhile. It's referred to as routine maintenance.
Same as you have to do with your car or truck.

I wouldn't put to much hope into thinking CR does much monitoring of this site.
This forum is owned and operated by Social Knowledge Network.

If you would like to pass on your thoughts or ask some questions of them, you would have better luck calling or sending an email.
From what I have read here on the forum, a phone call is way more productive then an email.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Eventually Crossroads better take notice.

The younger generation is more net savvy and will find these negative posts. It was easy for me to find them, as I have/had been in IT writing software, building computers, installing mega-million dollar software systems.

Back in 2010 when we bought our Crossroads, it was the positive feedbacks that influenced us. I read all your (the royal you meaning all the members here) posts and was favorably impressed with what you had to say.

Now, like I said in the post that no one responded to, a very large number of posts on here deal with how bad the units are, how bad service has been, how hard it is to get warranty service.

I know that had there been the volumes of bad posts back then, that there would not have been a Crossroads trailer sitting in the driveway, we would have looked for another brand.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Site Team

dr
I'm not trying to stick up for CR, you or anybody else.
In all fairness, you bought your rig 4 or 5 years ago. There wasn't nearly as many CR products on the road then. Just like there wasn't as many members on this forum. So it just stands to reason there is going to be more complaints now, but for all the new rigs out there I don't think the % of complaints has increased to match that % of new rigs. You know yourself, somebody that has a problem or has had a problem is much more vocal then the ones that haven't had trouble. Plus, some people take every opportunity to grumble.
It just seems to me, the ones that have had problems are the ones that are repeatedly voicing their displeasure.
There are an awful lot of owners on here that are not happy with their unit, that I will grant you, but, there also is a lot of owners here that are totally satisfied with their unit.
It has been stated many times here---show me an RV company that doesn't have problems with their units.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
Well stated Lloyd, fair and to the point. Tell Tim to look at the post from Tony and Aileen, and the new unit from "another" company they purchased from. There problems are as long and monumental as any on here. She has been forthright and upfront about it. The only thing you can do is work with your dealer, and if that doesn't work, take it back to the manufacturer and let them deal with it. It appears as though Tim just joined this group and his unit is brand new. I would at the least seek remuneration for travel expenses back to Topeka to take the unit back to Crossroads and hope they cover that, and make the unit whole. You would hope Tim gets it back in perfect condition, at the very least.

Travel well, travel safe,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
Old 12-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

As I have said, our problems started back then, 4 years ago and I see them getting worse. The problems we have/had are miniscule compared to the ones being reported on here.

There is a pattern, leaking roofs from day one, slides with bowed walls that leak, incorrectly installed sealing vents so water penetrates the roof.

It is indicative of a company either struggling to survive in a bad economy or a company that just doesn't care. It is the results, as stated by others, of the cheapest workers who are just getting the job done, instead of a valued workforce that is compensated enough and treated enough to care about what they are doing.

It is the same mentality that caused the massive recalls GM is dealing with.

We have seen the company go through a web re-design, with the project being rolled out untested, incomplete, amateurish. Having worked in IT, I can tell the commitment behind a company when they don't even care to ensure that the face they present to the public is the best it can be.

People getting to know about the quality issues magnify. People talk and remember the bad. Every time folks that have these problems are asked about their rigs and they tell their story, the effect gets bigger and bigger as Crossroads gets noted as being a risky investment.

I just did a Google search on "crossroads rv quality problems" and reports are out there on the web echoing what is going on here.

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...d/27214302.cfm

http://crossroads-rv.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/cross...il-155505.html

the problems are deep and seemed to really get going around the time of the management change and warranty change.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Site Team

There is no doubt, searches can be done to support any thing we can think of or come up with, but to be totally fair and honest, the same search has to be executed for all the other brands and manufactures.

Some of the problems we read about are self inflicted. For example---How many times have we read the AC runs with the furnace,the winterizing system is leaking or malfunctioning, or, a leak has showed up on the roof and or slide out because of lack of maintenance?

The dealer in all to many of these situations has to shoulder a lot of the blame, but the customer has to assume their share also.

Now, with that being said
The OP has posted his problem, got it off his chest and moved on. I don't think he intended for this to turn into a gripe thread for every body to keep airing the same issues.

So I would like to suggest we put this thread to rest and try to move on to better things, like the OP apparently has.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Party Pooper
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Dude, do what you have to do. Don't blame the website on CR. It isn't controlled by them.

Good luck with whatever "other" brand you buy, but if you don't keep an eye on it and repair as needed you will have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook View Post
As I have said, our problems started back then, 4 years ago and I see them getting worse. The problems we have/had are miniscule compared to the ones being reported on here.

There is a pattern, leaking roofs from day one, slides with bowed walls that leak, incorrectly installed sealing vents so water penetrates the roof.

It is indicative of a company either struggling to survive in a bad economy or a company that just doesn't care. It is the results, as stated by others, of the cheapest workers who are just getting the job done, instead of a valued workforce that is compensated enough and treated enough to care about what they are doing.

It is the same mentality that caused the massive recalls GM is dealing with.

We have seen the company go through a web re-design, with the project being rolled out untested, incomplete, amateurish. Having worked in IT, I can tell the commitment behind a company when they don't even care to ensure that the face they present to the public is the best it can be.

People getting to know about the quality issues magnify. People talk and remember the bad. Every time folks that have these problems are asked about their rigs and they tell their story, the effect gets bigger and bigger as Crossroads gets noted as being a risky investment.

I just did a Google search on "crossroads rv quality problems" and reports are out there on the web echoing what is going on here.

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...d/27214302.cfm

http://crossroads-rv.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/cross...il-155505.html

the problems are deep and seemed to really get going around the time of the management change and warranty change.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
Site Team

I will wrap up this thread with this. Rv's have notorious problems with qc. If you think that this is unique to Crossroads think again. Check out the other manufactures forums. What you will find is many complaints.. does that mean that that manufacturer makes all junk? NO. It's just that most people post complaints and not compliments. If the manufacturer is that bad, they would not still be in business.
Having a good dealer work with you is important as well as you inspecting the rv yourself. If you cannot do your own inspection, it is well worth the cost to have your dealer do a yearly inspection for you. I will be well worth the cost. I found out the cost to own an rv is not cheap. If you can't fix or maintain it yourself it will cost you a good penny.
As far as issues within the warranty period, document and send all evidence to the manufacturer and dealer. If your original dealer does not live up to your expectations find another service center. I know others who called Crossroads for a list of other rv service centers near you that will handle warranty claims.
Best of luck to all Crossroads owners.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Closed Thread