Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

5th Wheel Hitch Advice

Just did it! In the somewhat natural progression of RVing, we're moving up from the Sunset Trail to a special ordered Canyon Trail 31FBHS 5th wheel which is due in late August. Being new to the 5er world am perplexed as to what hitch will work best for me. Dealer and manufacturer's literature says with the 12" extended king pin and aerodynamic angles of the front end of the unit I don't even need a slider especially an autoslider. But, I want the assurance of having one if/when I really, really need one. I'm thinking manual for those hopefully rare occasions. Have ordered an extended Demco Glide Ride pin box(thanks Frank) and have zeroed in on three hitch candidates:

Demco Hijacker 16K Double Pivot Ultra Slide

Curt Q16 w/R16 slider

Reese R16 w/Round Tube Slider

Basic wants are a hitch which operates easily, fits under my tonneau when unhitched, is quiet and easy to remove when necessary. There are probably other considerations but I don't know what I don't know.

Any input pro/con about any of the above hitches from you 5er experts out there will be greatly appreciated. Really would like to get this decision pinned down so I can sleep better. Thanks in advance!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Russ, for what it's worth, I have the

Reese R16 w/Round Tube Slider

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We have been using the following Reese for 6 years without a problem. I know it wasn't on your short list but it's been good to us.
We use the Reese 16K Square Tube Slider 16K Part Number 30051 with the Universal Rail Kit for easy removal. Pull four pins and lift the hitch our of the truck box. We like the fact that this Reese hitch pivots in four directions. We’ve pulled into some nasty camps where we might have torn off the pin box using a stationary hitch.
The Sliding Hitch was mandatory for the short bed RAM but we transferred it to the new RAM 3500 with a long bed. Now we slide the hitch into the maneuver position when hitching up so the driver can easily see the hitching plate. When we need to get to the forward tool box then it is easy to slide the hitch back and out of the way. (The next RAM might have a short bed and we will be glad we have the slider).
After the camping season we back into the garage lower the chain from a chain hoist and lift the hitch up to the ceiling and out of the way until needed. Last winter we built a trolley for the chain hoist so the hoist with the hitch attached can be rolled out of the way with the rollers gliding on top of the ceiling joist. (A home-made engineering marvel… Ha:>)).
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, you didn't say why...what's wrong with the Reese?

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm using the Curt Q20 with Roller base. Actually a roller not a slider so there can be no binding. Have no issues and would go with this setup again. Without using the slide function I can almost do a 90 degree turn (probably 80-85 degrees)so I haven't really needed it and don't much expect I ever will.

Randy McCaslin
Jonesboro, Georgia
2010 CR Kingston 35SB
2011 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison
rvscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Ok, I know it is not on your list but please indulge me. I HIGHLY recommend the B&W Patriot. It sits on standard rails but comes out easily in two pieces. No chain hoist needed. I can take it in and out alone in literally 5 minutes. It is very quiet. It has jaws that completely surround the king pin as opposed to some that have only a bar in front. It is American made as well.

You most likely will not need the slider since you have a 6.5 ft bed. The newer trailers have rounded fronts. But, if you want one B&W has that option too.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...th-wheel-hitch

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...th-wheel-hitch

I would shop around and NOT let the RV dealer install any hitch you buy. I got my B&W from a local place that actually specializes in work and farm trailers. They charged me one third of what the RV dealer was going to charge me for an inferior product.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have same hitch as Kamper Dave and love it. The 4-way pivot is great. I also have the Demco Glide Ride and if I ever need to replace anything I will get the same combination. Both work great, very little maintenance and provide a smooth ride. The only down side is that the 16K slider is a bit on the heavy side but it comes apart into two pieces so that makes getting it in/out of the truck easier but not what I would call easy. I would recommend the rail kit made for your truck. The brackets fit better than the universal fit.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Like Lloyd, I have a Reese 16K slider, but square tube design. Purchased in '03, in the truck for 10 years and never used. I found the old fixed legs in the ashes of our house, cleaned and repainted them and that is what I am using now. Since I didn't need the slider after 7 years with the old style Cruiser front cap, I really don't see any need for a sliding hitch with the new notched cap design.

If I were making a decision today, I would opt for the Reese Revolution (aka Sidewinder) pin box rather than a sliding hitch. It also solves the clearance issue with the truck cab. But it also keeps the back of the pin box from hitting the truck bed sides.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Team

I really like my Pullrite Superslide 16K. It's there when you need it and no getting out of truck to use it. The Super Rail kit lets you have a flat bottom bed since the rails are removable.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_71 View Post
Lloyd, you didn't say why...what's wrong with the Reese?
I guess I should have added a little more info.
I don't like the jaws on the hitch for one thing. They're not perfectly round and in my opinion, don't "hug" the king pin properly. Lots of rattling going on there. Also it's pretty noisy from the pins that secure the hitch to the bed rails.

If I had it to do over again, I would certainly do a lot more research and looking.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Well I have a Reese Elite 18k manual slider and the adjustability is great. I like the wrap around jaw. Fits tight, very little play and it sits nicely below my Truxedo LoPro QT when I'm disconnected.

If I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My only other choice would be a B&W manual slide.

In 8,000 miles I have yet to need the slider but happy to have it.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I had a Highjacker 16k double pivot manual slider in my last truck. I used the slide once, and then did the exact same maneuver with the hitch all the way forward. I did not like the latch (slide bar) as it was noisy and very finicky unhooking.

In my current truck I have the B&W Companion which is rated to 20k. No rails as it mounts to the turnover ball system. Hitching and unhitching are a breeze, and the jaws are quiet and secure. Love it, wish I would have got one sooner. They do make slider models as well, but I have no experience with them.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I have a hijacker with the new wraparound hitch head. It is quiet and have not any trouble unhitching . I did have the old style head and it can get noisy when out of adjustment.

2008 Cruiser 29RK
2005 Silverado 2500HD Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax
rgbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have replace my Reese with the Curt 3 years ago and really like it. I do not hear any clunking noise anymore. In 20 years of using a fifth wheel, I have not used the slider yet.

Good luck with your purchase

2009 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
North_Bay 34SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Thank you all for your input. I'll research those hitches mentioned that I hadn't originally considered. Probably have about a month or so before I have to make the final decision. Still, am anxious for the new rig to be built.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Has anyone used the Anderson ultimate hitch? I use my truck for a lot of other things and don't want the rails in the bed. I like the idea of it but haven't heard anything about them from the real world.

2002 2500hd duramax 4x4 ex cab/ short bed

Noobie
s.atkeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Damn I just saw the post above mine! Haha oh well.

2002 2500hd duramax 4x4 ex cab/ short bed

Noobie
s.atkeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I know you are a Chevy guy, but here is a pretty good thread about the Anderson over on Cummins Forum.

Andersen's Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection Reviews? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

We have lots of information, just don't drink the Koolaid and you'll be fine lol.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote