Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: To bunkhouse or not to bunkhouse...
only with multiple children 1 2.13%
no way! 25 53.19%
good place to store extra junk 2 4.26%
for a family, yes! 19 40.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
New Camper

We only have 1 child left at home but he's entering the teen years! We are contemplating a bunkhouse fiheel. Your thoughts?

so.ca. family who loves being outdoors. First a tent, then came the trailer, motorhome, and now onto a fifthwheel!
kayewbstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Does he have any interest in going along with you? If so, he's probably going to want more privacy than the fold out couch in the living room offers. Some of my inlaws have a Regal, and the kids come with them. 2 sleep in a tent, and one on the couch. Just all depends on the kid. Have a chat with him, see what he has to say?

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Talk with a teenager? Are you crazy???? Just kidding, probably the best advice you'll get.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

This was a question we had to answer a few years back when we bought our fifth wheel. We have 2 children, a 12 year boy and 5 year old girl. We decided not to go with the bunkhouse. After looking at all the different floor plans we felt the bunkhouse took to much room away from the living area. So far we are happy with our decision.(1)- we spend most of the time outside but (2) - if it rainsthe extra living space gives us plenty of room to play board games, playstation.....etc. And (3)- if someone doesn't want to participate they can watch TV or movies in the bedroom. Our kids do not mind sleeping on the fold out sofa one bit. If our son brings a buddy, we keep a dome tent in the storage compartment and they love to set it up and sleep in the tent. We also figured that by the time our daughteris old enough tobring a friend our sonwillprobably be old enough that he won't want to go with us. We also camp with another couple most of the time that has kids thatour similiar in age to ours so it usually ends up with the girls in one camper and the boys in another.I wouldsuggesttouring several different floor plans with and without the bunkhouse. Go thru the "what ifs". What if it rains, what if your child has a freind with them, what if you are camping with other children. Evaulate the different scenarios and make the decision that works best for you. And ask any questions you come up with here on the forum, you will get answers from every angle. Good Luck and Happy Camping!!! Edited by: scott
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

One thing to think about if your going to put them on the coutch, If yours are like ours and they sleep in, are you going to be able to get around the fold out bed in the morning to get to your coffie, Or out the door , Or to the fridge ??? Thats why we bought the floor plan we did. Our son was 15 when we bought ours and just as we thought now that he is 17 and has a job he can't go with us like he used to.

Don
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

If I were in your situation, I would look into a 5er with a seperated rear living area, It might have a pullout couch in the back, so he could use it as a room and not be in your way in the morning, he would have his own space back there, but you could 'convert' it back to functional space if he were not with you, which he might not be going in a few years. If you ever had anyone come along with you, they would have theirown space as well.

The Zinger 29bs looks nice for what I am talking about. Edited by: croberts

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I would pick the Cruiser 32BL. You have a rear living area with comfortable seating for you and the wife. The kid has a small mid-ship bunk room that he/she can use and 1 extra bunk for a friend to come along.

The 32BL also has a side aisle bathroom and slide bedroom. IMHO this is your best option, you get an adult friendly rear living setup with a small bunkhouse for the times the children come along. This will avoid the need to dump a traditional bunkhouse 2 years from now and buy another trailer with a RLS.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

i agree. the 32bl is a unique floor plan. we have three kids so we bought a quad bunk trailer. if i had one or two kids that would definetly be my choice. good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

we are empty nesters, but have the 32bl, great choice. we will take friends with us at times, and put them up in that room. We now have a grand daughter who is 9 months old today, when she get old enough that will be a great room for her. We really like that that room has a solid door, we love the rear living, and the bath set up. for us it was the perfect choice. Beside rainbow and Hoover think that is their room. Don so ou put the 17 year old to work?? Is he money going to replace the mail box??? or you still waitng for your stimulas??

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

He got a replacement mail box!

As I remember he took a whole lot of mail boxes at the rally!

Edited by: Chrisnan23

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

The check came in when I wasn't watching and Buddy bought beer for her a Denny with it, I'm not sure but from the looks of things Denny has been visiting because his share is almost gone.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

You had better reload the little room loves his beer

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
New Camper

thank you all for the awesome input! Actually, the boy still loves going with us...I know it may not be for much longer... Oh well , already have 5 grandkids to start taking too!

so.ca. family who loves being outdoors. First a tent, then came the trailer, motorhome, and now onto a fifthwheel!
kayewbstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

With all those grand kids I would look into a bunk house, If there is ever the chance they will be going, Other wise if you are like me its a good exuse not to take them
Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

We have two kids but selected the quad bunk so they can bring their friends. If the in-laws are along for a trip, we four sleep in the back and they have our bedroom.

Also, the extra storage is HUGE! I can get all four bikes inside the "garage". Extra storage for things like clothes, coats, linens, beach towels, games and a separate entertainment center if needed. We still have plenty of room for the rainy days. Two of the bunks are as wide as a twin bed. The CF30QB can sleep 10!
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnan23
He got a replacement mail box!

As I remember he took a whole lot of mail boxes at the rally!

Impressive, all those mailboxes and not a scratch or dent anywhere. A lesser brand of truck would be in for some extensive body work after anordeal like that.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

We have the ST30BH. I'm a single mom with two boys, ages 12 and 14. Having a separate area for the boys works great for us. They each have their own bed and we can close the curtain if it gets messy. I don't have to go turning the hassle of turning the couch or table into a bed unless one of them brings a friend. Also, one gets up early, the other late and since he has his own bed, we can use the table for breakfast without disturbing him. I definitely like the separate area for the boys. I also like the outside door and storage when we aren't using the bunks. With the slide, we have plenty of room inside.

Chevy Suburban 1999
crazymama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

I would go for the BH. We have 4 kids that camp with us. There have been times when they have had friends, so we have had the couch made up...or times were I went camping with a group of moms and daughters.

I have to say for the layout of out Sunset Trail..the couch bed is best left for the early riser and not someone that is going to sleep in.

2003 Dodge Ram

2007 ST31QB

Parents to 3 boys and 2 girls

nkjemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

i agree with scott good luck!!

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote