Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
New Camper

We are just about to purchase our first travel trailer and have settled on the Crossroads Sunset Trail 32FR (Saw it Saturday, may put downpayment on it tomorrow)

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/sunsettrail/floorplan_detail.asp?fp=ST32FR&type=tt

Being a total newbie, I have a few questions that I am hoping you all can answer. I've appreciated all of the help that I have gathered from reading your posts on this board.

1. Trailer tires - the tires on are radial load d tires from a brand name I have never heard of before. Should they be replaced or are they decent quality tires?

2. AC - the trailer I am purchasing has a 13.5 BTU AC. Is this going to be sufficient to cool the unit. I know a 15 BTU would be preferable, but will the 13.5 be sufficient?

3. Towing - I want a good wd/anti-sway system. The dealer is trying to sell me the Equ-i-lizer E2. I see most people prefer the E4, is it worth the extra money?

Any advice to a newbie in general or about the Sunset Trail line specifically would be welcome.

Thanks,

Keith

KKWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Congratulations on your pending purchase and welcome to the forum. Tires and towing are popular subjects and there has been lots of discussions on both. My advice is to search previous posts, read and then reach your own conclusions. Some advocate replacing the tires with commercial grade and others (like myself) have many thousand miles on the factory tires with no problems. A good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway control will make towing safer and less stressful. I used the Reese Dual Cam on our first trailer and it worked perfectly, but there are a number of others equally as good. As for air conditioners, I would pay for an upgrade to 15K if that is an option, unless you don't ever plan to camp anywhere south of Kentucky in the summer.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

X2 on what Sirsea said.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
New Camper

We pickup our Sunset Trail 32FR Friday afternoon.
1. Tires - After reading many other stories, I decided to leave the tires as-is. It seems that many people are getting several years out of the original tires without any issues. We have enough other things to spend many on, if I don't have to replace the tires I don't want to spend the money.

2. I got the dealer to upgrade the AC for $300.

3. The dealer thinks I am going overboard with the E4 instead of the E2, but he gave it to me at the same price. I like the peace of mind it gives me to have the extra stability.

Our first camping trip out will be in Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge area over Mother's Day and the following week. We're really excited and making lists of all the things needed before our first trip out.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Congratulations KK from Kentucky I too had doubts about the tires but I decided that my thoughts are that a lot of the failures may be operator error compared to just the tires themselves...meaning if you drive over 65 you may be subjecting them to unreasonable wear and abuse. I have found 62 to be a good speed...knowing it will tick off quite a few, but I'll live with it...and I'm a big boy so I'm not worried LOL

I just booked our first camping trip with our two WI daughters for Mother's Day weekend, after which we head to Indianapolis for a week. Enjoy your new home and btw, those little things you need...they sure add up...but it's fun, and my little bit of advice is, don't buy the cheapest, buy it once and be done with it

Happy Camping my friend,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks Jim. Our list is growing, but I am a firm believer in buying quality. It saves money in the long run. Just edited my profile so my name would be out there. Hopefully it will show up on this reply.

Parents to 7 Children

2005 Chevy Express 3500

2012 Crossroads ST32FR
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the great information forum. Congrats on the new rig. Enjoy....Happy Camping

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
You were wise to get the bigger AC. On a trailer that big, you still may have issues. There is an option to go up to 50 amp and 2 AC units.

Stop periodically and check your tires until you are comfortable with them. Mine didn't get hot at all after a few hours on the highway - that's a great sign you aren't overloaded. Also, keep your pressure in line with your weight. I always check my pressure before a trip.

Good luck and enjoy your TT. That is pretty big one for your first!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
New Camper

We have tent camped for a really long time - a really big tent. We got tired of the break down and setup of camp. Last trip we went to the Redwoods, Crater Lake, Oregon Coast and Yellowstone. Each stop my wife and I looked at each other and swore we wouldn't tent camp again. With a family our size there aren't going to be a whole lot of options. Out of all the bunkhouse designs we looked at we liked the one with the double slides the best. More room for the kids on rainy days. Out of all of those we liked the ST32FR better than any others on the market.

The only experience I have had with trailer camping is when my granddad would take me in his Coachmen when I was a kid. We would set up at Indian Beach, NC and spend a week fishing. Some of the best memories of my life.

We're heading out the Sunday for Gatlinburg, TN for our maiden voyage. Hope to have give my kids some of the same memories my granddad gave to me.

Parents to 7 Children

2005 Chevy Express 3500

2012 Crossroads ST32FR