Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

My dealership opened the cabinet up, showed me how to operate it and how to winterize and dewinterize it. In my mind the fault lies on the dealer for not knowing or caring enough to know their product well enough to know the answer. If you feta proper pdi, or as some dealerships call it, orientation, you will learn these things.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillerj View Post
Why are so many people having trouble learning how to operate the water heater. Because Crossroads evidently thinks that everyone buying a TT knows all about how to operate the water heater. My dealer couldn't even tell me how to operate the thing due to "several different floor plans" which I don't understand how a floor plan dictates how a water heater is operated.

I hear ya dmillerj, but I have to defend Crossroads here. It is entirely on the dealership to understand each and every setup on the brands and units they sell.

Fortunately, Crossroads has great customer service team that can walk owners through the setup on each unit. I've talked to those guys a bunch of times and they've always taken care of me.

I personally had the same issue when the dealer did the 30 second walkthrough on winterizing/filling water heater/filling holding tank. They flat out didn't know specifically how to configure each valve, but I too was excited and just did the "new owner head nod" and forgot about it until fall when I went on our first trip.

Here's a tip, take a camera-phone picture of each configuration (city water feed, Holding tank feed, winterization bypass) or mark the valve positions with different color permanent markers on the valve stems.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #23
New Camper

"new owner nod" Now that right there describes my experience to a T. I've had to learn about all the systems on my own, my dealer has been zero help. But this water heater issue is about to make me vote republican. If this many people are having similar issues then I would suggest there's something wrong with the systems configuration. And it appears that once you learn about this system you can then look down your nose and mock anyone who has not yet learned how to get hot water in their camper. Replying to a question about how to operate the water heater with "find the valve" is not helpful. And yes I have received that very same reply on this board.....and it only added to my frustration. Anybody want a good deal on a Zinger 28BH? I miss my boat.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Family Vacation Member

Crossroads is lacking in not having a few trailer specific attachments to the owners manual. If they had this then the dealer could use it to help during the walk thru. The owners manual is useless. It says turn the bypass valves or something? But does not say where or include a picture.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
"new owner nod" Now that right there describes my experience to a T. I've had to learn about all the systems on my own, my dealer has been zero help. But this water heater issue is about to make me vote republican. If this many people are having similar issues then I would suggest there's something wrong with the systems configuration. And it appears that once you learn about this system you can then look down your nose and mock anyone who has not yet learned how to get hot water in their camper. Replying to a question about how to operate the water heater with "find the valve" is not helpful. And yes I have received that very same reply on this board.....and it only added to my frustration. Anybody want a good deal on a Zinger 28BH? I miss my boat.

If it makes you feel any better, every year I winterize I always forget to open the bypass and end up filling up my water with 2 gallons of antifreeze before realizing it. I also burned up the pump on my old trailer because I forgot to open the valve for the holding tank. My RV IQ is only higher than the average because I have done everything wrong at least once..ok twice.

Again, a quick call to Customer Service at Crossroads and you'll be squared away in no time. I called them last year right after buying my trailer but before picking it up and the rep walked out to the plant with a portable phone, opened a new trailer up and took down all the measurements I needed from the storage compartments (I was buying rubbermaid containers that day). Regardless of the manuals and how informed the dealers are (or should be), the customer service folks are great.

As far as missing your boat, look at it this way..no matter what issues you have with your trailer, you can't drown in it.

I have a similar trailer, so don't ever hesitate to post to the forum or shoot me a PM with any questions. I've learned alot from the good folks on this forum and I love to pay it forward. Chances are, any issue you have has already been discussed in detail.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #26
Seasonal Camper

I agree with OhioMark...I get better info from this forum than dealers.
No one here has an agenda. (Well maybe some)

But this is a new hobby for me. So I read as much as I could. After a few months I made friends here and now am on here several times a week..often daily.

2014 - 47 Nights - 1445.8 miles.
2013 - 44 Nights -
2154.8 miles.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
"But this water heater issue is about to make me vote republican.
Should be any way. Dems are driving it into the ground!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #28
Site Team

I think this thread has pretty well served it's useful purpose.
Closed Thread