Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Tom
New Camper

I own a 2011 Zinger 23FB. I park the front of the trailer is facing north. The front door is facing East. The kitchen is facing west. Here is my problem. I live in the south. When it gets around 80 Degree and a little humidity, the dead bolt will not unlock. I leave the two top vents open. Inside temperature gets around 79 to 82 inside.

I have installed a new lock mechanism and the same still happens.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

This is driving me crazy!

Thanks
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Might try filing the opening for the dead bolt a little bigger, or if it is in the lock its self a graphite lube

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Tom
New Camper

The door lock is all in one unit. I have tried graphite that does not solve the problem. What happens is that the dead bolt lock will not unlock. It is like you hit a wall and stop. Will not unlock until the temperature drops.

Thanks

Will try anything?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Tom
New Camper

I failed to mention. That Crossroad did send me a new door lock. Yes, this is doing the same thing as the original lock?

That is why I am so dumb founded!

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

It soundslike it is swelling and hitting the dead bolt opening as Frank suggested, file the opening larger a little at a time until it operates smoothly. If you notice that this happens at a certian teperature or above then see if it operates stiffly just below thet temp and then make the adjustment.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
Tom what Chris is telling you is rite on ! This I can tell you as a retired LOCKSMITHof 50 years . But WHY bother locking the dead bolt when you can just lock your upper handle lock . The locks on any camper are worthless when it cames to security so all you need is to keep kids out and the top lock will do for that and most likely will not be bothered be hi temp.

Tim

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #7

I have to 2nd with Tim. It will only keep out the honest anyway.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Tom
New Camper

Folks, thats for the help. I do agree, that locking the dead bolt at home, I do not do. But, last year on my way back from California, I could not get the dead bolt to release. I had to crawl thru the storage area to get in. I thought I would try it before I took off for another long trip.

Tom
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Tom you had not said you could open the lock from the inside but not the outside ,and if that's the case I have to wonder ?

# 1. did you have to turn the dead bolt lever very hard ?

#2 did you have to pull in you as you turned ?

because I have seen the our side handle pulled first before unlocking the dead bolt and this can make it very hard to turn the key to retract the bolt .

Tom I had this happen on the last TT we had with my wife getting upset because she couldn't open the door And had to {{ ask }} me to do it LOL

What I found was she had pulled the handle thinking I had unlocked it so what I did was push it on the door hard as I turned the key to release the bind on the bolt .

What I did with her is [[ ASK }} her to always make sure the bolt is unlocked first

now I'm not saying this is why you are having this trouble but it's something to think about because ofit doing the same thing on both locks ?? Good luck

Tim & JO

Tim

<br /
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Tom
New Camper

When the outside temperature gets around 80, it is hard to unlock the deadbolt from the outside. Turning it left ( locks it) turning it right (unlocks). Now I had to craw thru the storage area . I had to take 3 of the screws out and loosen the 4th screw. The I get turn the lock form the inside. I have tried pushing inward on the door. That did not help. I was able to file some of the latch plate. Today it got to 80 and that seems to help. But I will keep an eye on it to make sure.

What puzzle me the most. The old lock was doing the same thing. I called Crossroads and they did send me a new lock. I thought the problem was with the dead bolt. But since the new one is doing the same. Something is swelling up when it get hot.The other thing I was thinking was to file down the dead bolt a little to see if that helps.

All information I receive is helpful with this problem. Puzzle me cause it is a 2011. I bought new. Thanks for your reply.

Tom

Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Tom your on the rite track but PLEASE don't file the bolt itself ! this will make things worse and will make the bolt sloppy in the lock . filing the striker plate is the way to go and you can file the top and bottom of the plate opening .

<br /
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Filing the strike or hole where the bolt goes into should solve the issue. I have had the same problem on the stick house when the weather changes. The slighest increase in pressure on the top or bottom of the bolt seems to lock it up tight. Just keep filing until the bolt doesn't rub on the edge of the strike.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I took delivery of my new Sunset Trail 29RL a couple of weeks ago. Haven't taken it out yet. I notice that it has different keyed locks on the doors. Wouldn't you think that it would be keyed with matching keys? Can the lock be changed to have the doors locked with the same key?
Any suggestions?

Madisonville, KY

'12 Sunset Trail Reserve, 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram MEGA CAB Cummins 6.7 Diesel
kymedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Billy,
That's really strange...I too took delivery recently and both locks are keyed alike...the only difference being when the deadbolt is locked it is in the upright position...the opposite of the one above it.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I would have thought so too. I will probably check with crossroads and see if they can send me a new lock or something.

Thanks for your response

Madisonville, KY

'12 Sunset Trail Reserve, 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram MEGA CAB Cummins 6.7 Diesel
kymedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Crossroads replaced the lock on our Zinger under warranty for the same reason. I ended up drilling it out to get the door open. No way I could fit through the little storage door on ours. They didn't even fuss about it. That tells me there is an existing problem.

The new one has worked fine (so far ?)

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote