Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'd like to install a Surge Guard on my Cruiser & am inclined to go with the "hard wired" unit someplace inside the RV, instead of the outside portable type, for security reasons.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried either and at what location did you place the inside unit if that was the option you elected to use?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Here's a link to what some of us have done.
http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...=2154&PN=1

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I'm not familiar with your unit but just a general bit of info regarding the surge protector location. The nearer to the point of use, the better the protection. This is because it eliminates the more chances for open neutrals, broken wires, bad connections, etc of the portable or remote located type.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When I first bought my trailer I got a surge protector. Later through reading here and other forums I then thought I needed something to regulate voltage. On a few trips I did notice voltage drop at campgrounds to a dangerous level for my AC unit (below or near 107 vac) The only two boxes I know is the autoformer or the power master (that I have) that not only protect with surges and voltage. These units can be plugged in outside or with an adapter kit wired to the inside, mine is mounted inside. These units are costly but a great peace of mind for me.

This was a little long and might not answer your question. I guess if you think it will get stolen then mount it inside. But if it is hard wired if a surge is detected and it be reset or are you out of luck for power. If needed with the way mine is wired It can be taken out of the system.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I install my in the box where the power wire is stored. just cut the power wire and Install theline side to to the part with the plug & the load side with the wire that going to your panel in the Trailer. It was done on my 2012 Sunset trail 30 RE
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote