Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
New Camper

Great forum, have been reading for a while. I hope to be picking up a new 2009 31QB Patriot editionthis weekend. Anything specific to look for, ask about in general or specific to this model when I do the PDI?

Also, I have read many many posts on this site and others regarding tow vehicles, weights, etc. Right now will be towing with 2008 Expedition EL with tow package. Looking for feedback from anyone that has a 31QB or something simliar in size /weight that has Expedition or 1/2ton Suburban.

Thanks
Calvin
calsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have the same exacty trailer, and tow it with a 2006 Expedition WITHOUT towing package. I got a Equilizer brand hitch, and am quite happy with the stability of the setup.

I thought I had the towing package at first, but I don't. I had a 4 pin hookup, and had to install an after-market 7 pin hookup by the hitch. I was concerned about my towing capacity with not having the towing package. However, after some research, I found that all part numbers were the same with and without the towing package, except the fan on the radiator had 2 extra fins with the towing package, and the 4 vs 7 pin connectors. I checked suspension parts, radiator, the oil cooling radiator, tranny parts, etc. They were all the same. So, now I am not worried about not having the official Ford factory towing package.

I estimate that I towed it about 50 hours last year, with the average trip about 4 hours. I know I am pushing the towing specs on my expedition, coming very close to rear axle weight limit, and tongue weigh. When towing, I only put the essentials in my Expedition, so that more weight is on the trailer's axles. (just to be sure I don't exceed the specs on max weight per axle).

I have never towed with water in the fresh water tank, as I have been using full hookup sites in campgrounds. (so that saves on a 300+ pounds!)

I have the 5.4 liter engine, and I'm happy with the acceleration. I can still gain speed going up hill to pass a slow semi if needed. edit: FYI, I do have to floor the gas pedal to accelerate up a decent hill at highway speed (but not to maintain my normal speed of 60-70 mph)

The pulling effect of a passing semi is noticeable at times, but not what I would consider dangerous.

The ride while towing is a bit bouncy, since the Expedition's shocks are now dampening the bounce of the trailer also. If the shocks ever go on me, I plan to upgrade them for some stiffer shocks, something that will dampen the movement more. I honestly have not looked into the details of this yet, as it is only a comfort issue for me. The only time the bouncing ever felt dangerous to me was when the seams on a highway were hitting just right to build up the bouncing effect. If this happens, you just have to slow down so that the rhythm of it changes to where your tires hitting the seams are not in sync with the bounce of your vehicle.

Anyway, hope didn't bore you with too many details! Enjoy your new RV!

Edited by: Pleco

2006 Expedition
Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hmm, I don't see an "edit post" option, but just wanted to say that your ride will be more stable than mine since you have the "EL" version of the Expedition. The longer wheelbase will help you keep trailer sway down.

Edit: hey, I found the "edit" button. So anyway, I forgot to address your first question, but things to look out for in the walk through.

My main complaint is the cheap locks, the keys to the front door and the back cargo area door do not work very well in mine. It takes some jiggling the keys around a bit for it to work on mine.

The other issue I am having is my oven will go out sometimes. We would be baking something for dinner, and it just goes out, pilot and all. So, I would turn the oven on in the start of your walk through, and then make sure it's still hot a half hour later. (ours seems to go out after it pre-heats, like it never re-ignites when the burners turn off)

Also, not a problem with the trailer itself, but my dealer gave me a cheap "starter" battery. If yours comes with a battery from the dealer, take a look at it. Do not accept it if the word "starter" appears anywhere on the battery. This means it is not a "Deep cycle" type of battery that you want.

Edited by: Pleco

2006 Expedition
Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the detail - exactly what I was looking for. I know I will need to pack light in the trailer and Expedition as it will be close to the limit, but just cant pass up the 31QB. Was looking at a new 29SS which is a little lighter, but doenst have all the upgrades of the 31QB.

Thanks again

Calvin
calsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote