Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We made our first long trip, third in all, from Salt Lake to Yellowstone NP. Chewed the tires on the starboard side. She is now back to the dealer . For future reference, DO NOT have camper troubles the day after memorial day... they are busy. Looks like the hubs were toed out on three and in on the fourth. Crossroads referred the dealer to Lippert. Lippert has pics and aligments specs and is evaluating whether they will step in or not (how long can I hold my breath). Meanwhile, we are dusting off the tent . Kinda stinks to be tenting it while making payments on a two month old 5vr .... but the season is getting short above 7K feet.

Should I find a stone wall with Lippert, has anyone had success with having the tubes bent at a shop? Seems that would be more reliable than swapping out axles. But the warranty remains an issue as well.

Other than the alignment issue, we sure enjoyed our first week in the Cruiser. There were two others in camp as well... one also from Utah and one from Canada!

2010 Cruiser 30QB

2010 Dodge Ram MegaCab 2500

6.7L Cummins

Huskey 16K Dual Pivot Slider

Sandy, Utah

RKCRWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You bought a Crossroads product with Lippert components. Lippert is a subcontractor of Crossroads therefore Lippert's failure is Crossroads failure. As a retired federal government Contracting Officer with 30 years of experience I can tell you that is the way it is supposed to be. My agency would never permit the predominant function of a contract to be subcontracted by the awarded contractor. If a contractor's subcontractor failed to perform some other function it was the contractor's problem. Same here. Crossroads has to make good then recover from Lippert. It is their issue but unfortunately they seem to have you caught in the middle. I would call the warranty department at Crossroads and demand some action.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Art. If you get any stonewalling from Lippert I would be in touch with Randy in the warranty department at Crossroads asking them to put pressure on Lippert. Your trailer is an 2010 so they (Lippert)should have no problem making it right. Give them a chance to take care of you first and if they don't ask Crossroads for assistance.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Wow Art well said. As a general contractor I am solely responsible for any and all work performed under my contractual obligations. I have eaten tens of thousands of dollars over the years to make things right and thats how it should be on a 45 thousand dollar rolling house.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

That sucks... I have the same unit as yours and I too had issues.. Makes one wonder if it isn't something with the design and payload vs. axle load.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

This has been a problem for all trailer manufacturers and not just with Lippert. My '04 Paradise Point has the problem and it has Alko Kober axles. I believe all those making axles need to revisit their specs and correct them.

Hey Art, did you ever buy one of those $300 hammers they use at the pentagon? Just kidding!!!

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I had a bent axle (Actually the axle tube collapsed at the spring perch) in a remote campground in <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1lace w:st="&#111;n">Arizona</st1lace></st1:State>. I called Lippert warranty service and they had a tech replace the axle at the campground in less than two days. Be civil and provide pictures and accurate description of your problem. I did it all by E-Mail and cell phone. This was on a 2010 Cruiser 26RK 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel. I could not have asked for better service than what I received.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We are definately being civil. Nothing has been turned down yet. My only complaint so far is that it should not happen to start with. But such is life. If all goes well, Lippert steps up and we are back in business before too long! We are VERY pleased with the unit otherwise. We bought it end of model year. We were at the dealer making a final decision on a used Denali 30' TT (very nice trailer), when we walked by the Cruiser. Wife wanted to check out the 5vr. After looking, I laughed and said no way we could afford a camper that nice right now. The next morning we saw it posted on thier web site on clearence. The cost was with in 2K of the used TT. We were very pleased to say the least, and the kids LOVE having the bunks. Two thumbs up on Crossroads for me.

My father bought a Coleman TT new the last week of July. It was returned to te dealer on a safety recall the first week of August for axle clearance issues. Its still there today! Everyone is struggling with quality these days and in just about every line of business...

2010 Cruiser 30QB

6.7L Cummins

Sandy, Utah

Old 09-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Lippert seems to have an issue with QC. Our 2009 had two bad axles, blatent toe out condition visible from 50' away.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

RKCRWLR After going over your posts again it appears you have a dealer problem. You indicate this started Memorial Day. That is over 3 1/2 months. You should have a solution by now. Even if you did mean Labor Day it still has been too long. I would contact Lippert direct andexplain your problem. They have moblie crews that repair frames and replace axles all over the west. If the dealer is unwilling to take the bull by the horns I would request from LLippert to have one of their mobile crews fix your problem. I would not settle for anything except replacement axles from the description of your problem. Who is your dealer so I do not use them if I ever have problems in the Salt Lake City area.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I had an issue when I was out of warranty.
Pulling into a c.g with speed of 5MPH one of the wheel just fell off,looking at the welding it was obvious why it happened..only 1/3 was welded.
I managed to get a welder that put it back into its place and called Crossroads that called Lippert and they shipped 2 axles to a shop next to where I was.
The excels were replaced but 2 tires from one side of the trailer are eaten from one side badly which shows that the welding was not done well.
I went to couple of places that do alignments but they all said that there is no way to adjust only to bend (I did not do it as it seems to me a bad idea).
Mean time I am rotating tires but plan to come to Crossroads for advise.
Any suggestions/comments?
Thanks

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

RCflyer, it was Labor Day - I always get the two confused - LOL. We bought the camper at the end of June. Unfortunately, our July vacation was planned before we got it, so we had only taken it a few miles away for weekends in July and August.

We are OK on the timeline/dealer for now. The dealer took a couple of days to measure everything and file the claim. Lippert wanted pictures of the tire wear (I am fine with that too). Pic did not arrive to Lippert until the 17th, so we are awaiting axle authorization. I picked up the camper last night, as we are going camping locally this weekend. For laughs (and documentation), I did a straight edge test on the tires. On the port side, things area littlecloser, with the front wheel toed out about 1/4 inch. On the starboard, when a straight edge is placed against the front tire, the leading edge of the rear is even, but the trailing edge is about an inch in (toe out). Hoping to hear something back this week. I remain confident that it will get worked out.

2010 Cruiser 30QB

6.7L Cummins

Sandy, Utah

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

GOOD NEWS! Lippert just called and sent me out two new beams yesterday along with the install kit for electrical and u-bolts. Very good customer service on this deal and I appreciate it greatly! That means it took 7 days to turn the whole deal. Now I just have to work witht he dealer on scheduling the install.

-Tim

2010 Cruiser 30QB

6.7L Cummins

Sandy, Utah

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Excellent
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Lippert does step up to the plate if you are under warranty. That does not mean I am happy with their frames and axles as I am not. I am worried the frame will give me problems after the warranty. If anyone has a trailer under warranty and you are getting tire wear have it checked out as you probably have a bent or defective axle.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Im not worried about my frame, all the Lippert frame issues seem to be focused on Keystone in the last 3 years.... JMHO.