Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Hi all,

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but in using our "new" used Cross Terrain this weekend, we unfortunately had the black tank fall through the 2 L- brackets that hold it up between the frame.

Fortunately, we had alreadyemptied the black water tank already first before I used the advise of another long term camper, and left the black tank valve closed for 2-3 minutes while using the "sani flush" flush kit before opening it again, to allow plenty of fresh water into the tank to thoroughly clean. Big mistake!!!!

We let it fill up too far before emptying and it bent therear "bolted in" bracket allowing the tank to drop down.

The original installation of the back bracket maybe was mounted too far back (1/2"or so more than necessary) and allowed enough space for the tank to slip through once heavily weighted.

Nevertheless, not a fun thing to deal with once the tank dropped and remnants of the first flush ended up on the ground.

Being in the desert away from others was the only positive.

My reason for sharing is to ensure you use according to instructions, not your knowledgable's neighbors advise.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't think using the Sani-flush with the black tank valve closed is really a problem. You can't overfill the black tank, excess water will be forced out the vent pipe onto the roof. Not a mistake that I have made, but plenty of people have done this and normally that would be the only risk with keeping the valve closed while flushing. Even if water is flowing out the vent pipe, that is not much extra weight compared to what the black tank would weigh if it was full anyway. So, you are probably fortunate it failed when it did rather than with it full of waste as you were pulling up to the dump station.

Only other problem I've seen happen with the above procedure, is a brand new unit that didn't have a good seal around the toilet and the excess water flowed into the belly rather than out the vent pipe. Didn't hurt the black tank, but the extra weight sure destroyed the underbelly fabric. But again, better the problem was discovered with "clean" water rather than have normal waste overflow into the belly.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Good point Larry. I have been working on the underbelly liner today as this came down too when the tank did.

I put in additional gussets/supports to now ensure that this back rail doesn't flex out and fail again.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote