Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Ask a motor shop what to clean the armature with, it needs it badly. I know what I do but not sure if it's right (600 grit emery paper). Also clean the slots in the armature to remove carbon that can short the pads. Clean thoroughly with pure alcohol and a toothbrush. That's to remove any grit from the cleaning. Flush out the brush assembly with brake cleaner. Don't forget to put more grease in the bushings.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
Site Team

DO NOT use emery paper. Published by Ohio Electric Motors: http://www.ohioelectricmotors.com/dc...#ixzz3A35sO2yU

Quote:
The commutator 25 should have a smooth, polished, brown appearance. There should be no grooves, scratches or scores. If there is any blackened, rough areas on the commutator, it’s probably caused by brush sparking. If a commutator has a brassy appearance, there’s excessive wear that could be caused by the wrong type of brush or the wrong spring tension. Check the manufacturer’s technical documentation to verify the correct brushes are installed. Carbon dust and debris from the brushes can cause sparking and damage the commutator. If the commutator is rough and the bars are uneven, it will need to be turned on a lathe to restore its roundness.

To clean the commutator, use a commutator cleaning brush (fiberglass) and some electric motor cleaner. Never use emery paper because it has metal particles in it that if rubbed off could cause electrical shorts. Remove the brush springs, slide the brush across the commutator hood and spray. When done, blow out the motor so it is dry and clean.

Use CRC XT-2000 precision cleaner. It's safe on plastic.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quick update - the plot thickens. After looking at the pics I sent, Venture mfg said that's not actually their motor. I was afraid of that. I thought maybe it was sourced from Toula by Venture and sold to Lippert that way, but it appears my camper has directly-sourced-from-China motors and I haven't been able to track down much on Toula.

The good news is that so far things are dimensionally the same, so I'm waiting on Venture to confirm the interface of the gearbox to the actuator tube is the same as what I have.

Otherwise it still seems my motor runs fine out of the camper, I'm going to clean it up as recommended previous and re-install in the next week or so and see what happens.
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

Update - it's all fixed. Didn't have to buy another motor.

In case anyone is wondering, I had to ask Lippert and got confirmation that the Venture motor and gearbox is a drop-in replacement for the Toula on my chassis. Don't buy direct from Lippert as their price is $500+. Instead see previous posts for links to retail websites for the same unit for about $250.

I ended up cleaning the commutator with a fiberglass "pen" (small brush) and electronics cleaner. Here's me just getting started on it:

Polished everything up nice and sprayed out the gunk. There was certainly some gunk in there. Reinstalled and the slide moves as quick as the others now - thanks everyone for the tips!

I also fabbed up something quick for manually running the slide if it ever happens. I just got some square tubing (3/4" I think) from Lowe's and cut a notch into it to work with the manual slide rod. This fits nicely into a 7/8" socket and with an extension I'm good to go with using a drill instead of hand power.

I plan to update this by getting a friend to weld a 3/4" bolt on the end somehow so I can just use the 3/4" socket drill adapter I use for extending/retracting the manual stabilizers. Hopefully I never have to use it ...
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #25
Seasonal Camper

great post lots of good information.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Sounds great and a neat adapter... Good show...
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #27
New Camper

Good post. Had trouble with my slide motor but it was replaced in warranty, lasted two months and had to replace the motor again
peter nolin is offline   Reply With Quote