Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wink cheap Satellite system

Attached is a pic of the modification I made on the tv to receive satellite TV. First off you need to make a shelf for it I used red oak planks (Lowes). I used a D-100 receiver it is a SD (standard definition ) receiver. I got it from my brother who has satellite at his house and pay him 5 bucks a month. Once you have a receiver make your shelf a size to hold it. I then moved the tv mount as low as i could to accommodate the receiver. I stained the wood a colonial oak cold its a close match. I mounted the shelf to the top of tv box as seen in the picture.
Now I had to modify the mirror side of cabinet because the receiver stuck out in the back. there are two pics of the cabinet back showing the mod I just used more 1/2 x 3 in red oak boards from Lowes to make the box attached it using four small L brackets and transferred the door to it. It also created a little storage space.
Now the last part the antenna, All you need is a SD antenna that nobody wants anymore because all they want is HD (High definition). You can find a friend or relative that still has their old antenna still up on the house or a local flea market will have one worse case you can go to Solidsignal.com and get one and that is where I got my 3 ft tripod mount. once you have your antenna mounted on the tripod you can connect it to the antenna connection on the right side in rear of camper. There are two connectors there. Now aiming your antenna should take 5 min There is a app out there called Dish align put in the satellite number 110deg and it comes up with a cartoon antenna that directs you to the correct position. The good thing about using a SD receiver is it will pick up a signal thru the trees HD will not.

There have been some folks trying to figure out how to get satellite outside where their tv mount is there is a cable connection there. it is simple...in your closet should be you standard antenna amplifier remove it and disconnect the wire going to the outside connection. attach a splitter to the back of your satellite recover on the (out to tv) connector and run a short cable thru a small hole next to the amplifier and connect it to the outside connector. you will now have satellite tv at that connector and when its off your regular antenna comes thru there also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (125.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (125.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (162.9 KB, 19 views)
msisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

HD and SD are both affected the same thru the trees, no go. The 2.4 G signal just doesn't like anything in the way. Analog vs HD on an "off the air" antenna is a different deal.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Ken
Weekend Camper

There s no difference with HD or SD when finding a signal. I have an HD dish but once you find the signal on the SD you fine tune the setting to get your HD. There are times I don't mess with it once I find a signal and just watch SD. You just change your settings on the box to show SD and HD channels. It's nice to have HD when camping for a week

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My last outing was in a highly dense wooded area and all i did was position my dish where there was a little opening thru trees I really didn't think I would get any signal but it received great. Reason I said SD was easier that HD I went HD path first and aiming the antenna was almost impossible with clear sky access. It now takes 5 min to set up.
msisko is offline   Reply With Quote