Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone else had a failure of the remote waste valve openers? My black tank flush handle and thus the valve,will not close. The problem appears to be in the cable. I am considering going in and cutting the underbelly to either fix or replace the cable.

Anyone have any experience in cutting the plastic underbelly and how to close it.

Can't take it to a dealer because I am in Haines, Alaska for the summerand my guess is the nearest dealer is about 1500 miles away.

Luckily I installed a screw on knife valve just in front of the drain cap. It really prevents a lot of surprises when valve closers fail or leak. It only takes once to make a believer out of you.

Full Time 12 Years
First RV in 1980

Semper Fi 63-69
hollardawg45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Before you cut, look and see if the membrane on the bottom of your rig is secured on the outer edges with a metal strip and screws. If it is, you should be able to take some screws out and get at the valve and then put the membrane back up.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

If you have a good drill with a socket adapter, use asocket to fit the screw heads. They are 3/8" size. You'll be able to take down some of the strips around the edges.

I know on my trailer i not only have the black fabric, but i also have a sheet of the bubble foil-type insulation sheet on top of it.

The less you have to do any cutting on the membrane the better off you'll be.

Good luck

2012 cf 335 ss

2011 F350 4X4 Superduty

Terra -cairn terrier
vickark is offline   Reply With Quote